New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mama bear.... I agree!! We would love to have you here!!

Comment

Roberta Jewell
      Administrator

Gallery: 0
      Weighing in
      I agree Topa dosing is highly individualistic. I reported ages ago on the earlier board that after titrating up to 300 mg, I reduced my dosage significantly, but the cravings returned and I slipped. I was also under a lot of stress at the time. It required me bumping back up to full throttle and I committed to becoming more diligent about hypno, exercise, and supps. For me, that made all the difference in the world.

Despite that, I've actually been thinking about switching to Vivitrol...I see there are recent questions about this medication on the board. I'm really curious as to its efficacy and also figured I could play guinea pig and report back. Of course, I would continue to incorporate all other elements of the program--you old timers know how passionately I feel about rejecting a "single pill" approach.

As I understand, your doc must be enrolled in and selected to participate as an injection site for naltrexone's once monthly shot. The drug's maker and marketer, Alkermes and Cephelon respectively, call it the "VIP3 program" (Vivitrol information for patients, physicians, providers). Dr. Garcia was invited to participate early on and agreed, but I'm not sure if she's going to continue because of a number of delays in deploying the program.) I'm waiting for more info, as we do have interest from local patients.

But back to the question at hand. Here are some thoughts:

* Length of time it's okay to take Topamax: as I understand the drug has been safely used long-term for over ten years in both the pediatric and adult population (some at higher doses) for epilepsy. As always, it's important to work with a health care provider and be mindful of potential side effects.

* Yes to finding the dose that works for you. I assumed mine would be 300 mg, but at the time I was closely following the clinical trial which adopted the Physican's Desk Reference titration schedule. The researchers who published in the Lancet agreed in their study that lower doses might be equally effective; they simply didn't know. But I was winging it on my own and not taking any chances! As many of you know, we have since recommended stopping at lower doses if you find your craving remains under control.

* From what I've learned, if you revert to drinking heavily while taking Topamax it may lose its full effectiveness. I've mentioned this before. You really must monitor your cravings and be committed to good nutrition (particularly where sugar is concerned), as well as exercise, supplementation and behavioral modification. We feel the hypno is very effective. Some start with our hypnotherapy program and later adopt other relaxation and positive visualization techniques.

* We always recommend the official titration schedule when starting out, regardless of where you stop. It's in my book, as well as the PDR (Physician's Desk Reference) and Lancet. Others here can attest to dealing with some extremely challenging side effects when they dosed up too quickly. Again, finding the "perfect dose" can take a little tweaking. It may depend on your weight, the way in which your body metabolizes medication, additional meds you're taking, or other factors.

* I've read anecdotal evidence to suggest that those who take Topa for weight loss--then stop completely and begin taking it again--don't experience similar success. I assume it's the same for alcohol dependence, but don't have any clinical evidence upon which to base this theory. I believe it may require dosing back up at a different schedule.

Finally, and I'll mention this elsewhere soon, I'm preparing to launch a blog site and if I do decide to try Vivitrol anytime soon, I may post information there regularly about the experience. I've published a number of posts already, but have not yet announced the site. I'll pobably use it as my main venue to share info, as this board has become wonderfully independent and I think it'll work a little better. It will also provide a venue for those who are interested in reading my stuff, as it'll be easy to find everything in one place. (It will also probably be a bit more commercialized than our other websites to help support it.) I'll still monitor this board carefully and respond to issues as they're raised.

Wow...that was a long answer to a simple question. But I hope you find it helpful. :-)

RJ

Comment

Above post i found interesting, and posted mainly for Kradle, though believe there may be some lurkers taking topa that only read this thread periodically.

Comment

I know this is kind of silly. You all know that my prefered poison would be prosecco. There is actually a song telling why one should not drink it. LOL I had to translate it. I hope it brings a smile and brightens your day! Hey, at least I can laugh at myself... lol!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXs3GzsDb2U[/video]]Annett Louisan - "Das Alles wär nie passiert" - YouTube

At night in the bathhouse
          And afterwards i was in the police station
          we kissed inside my parents wardrobe
          then engraved our initials in a heart inside it

we swore eternal blood brotherhood
          and the next day we didnt even recognize each other
          i spent three hours in a taxi driving around the same block
          Because I liked the driver so much

Three girls in Bavaria with jerseys
          In the south bank of the HSV
          i sent a truthful letter to my boss
          and I ended up slow dancing with his wife

a stupid flirt-bet
          while on vacation and then i ended up getting married
          I decided to take latin because i thought i needed to
          and got this hairdo to make sure i would get a record deal

none of this would have happened
          had i not drank Prosecco

Sunday my morning, at 5.10 but it was really evening.
          The telephone wakens me
          I have nothing on but cowboy boots
          My senses are not working anymore

All I remember
          Is like I got into a a huge frenzy
          I screamed: " its time for a revolution!
          Turn the music louder - that is my song!"

My boyfriend on the answering machine screams:
          "Hey, what did you take last night?
          He says my bra was on ebay and OMG!
          How did I get home?

For heaven's sake, why I am pierced?!?
          And how did i get this snake tatoo?
          Whose stuff is this on my bed and....
          who the heck are you?

if i wouldnt have drank prosecco

Comment

Hi all

Oh, there is just too much to comment on and I have so little time. I finally got loads of jobs in this week and spent most of yesterday in bed hung over. VERY BAD. Well, Sunday was very good, we visited friends of mine in Wimbledon but as it was an afternoon BBQ and 30 degrees we started drinking wine in the sun at about 1pm and we only got to bed at around 2:30am, ouch. Well, despite for that, it was really nice to catch up with an old friend from home and we really did have a good time.

I think it would have been OK as we were heading home at a respectable time of around 8 but the train ride is about an hour and then one of bf's friends rang and asked us to join them at this place nearby as there is this Dutch guy that they are trying to woo and as I'm Afrikaans, the guy was interested in meeting me. The languages are quite similar and 2/3's of my ancestors are Dutch.

Anyway, this guy is a big shot, the head of the European division of a huge IT corporation and they really needed to make friends with him in case it could lead to possible future jobs. So I did my part and spent about 3 hours talking to him, sometimes he would switch over to Dutch to see if I could understand, and mostly I could, I think I helped with the shmoozing for the future of their careers and the guy was actually a lot of fun to chat to, even though I was dying to get home to bed so I can actually get MY work done the next day. Also, considering I spend so much time on my own during the week, going out is good for me, so I guess I shouldnt beat myself up.

Was good yesterday though and have a huge amount of work to do today.

So I met new people, must just do more excercise and try the yoga but its been really hot and muggy here so I actually feel to sticky to try it (and I know it will pass very soon over here LOL)

Kradle: I actually went off the Lamictal as the Topa was working so well for me but I did notice a steady decline in my mood since I stopped using it. Perhaps the combo of the two was what did the trick as it never really worked for me on its own. Lamictal also augments any other drug you take, so it will increase the good and bad effects of the Topa.

And as for you being so sensitive to low doses, perfectly normal for a person with bipolar, I still fluctuate between 50 and 62,5 - don't think I'll ever be able to take a really high dose unless I titrate up really slowly. And I know what you mean, it did also seem to 'stop working' a bit for me as well but I have room to titrate up. The side effects are just bad if one is also on quite a few other meds.

WTE: Sorry about your lawn woes and the fact that its affecting your relationship with landscaper guy.

I couldnt handle Nal, it made me very sick just like Bac did and most ADs. It worked for me two or three nights I went to parties but then I couldnt sleep at all that night and if I had two drinks I still felt like death the next day, so I figured I might has well have a few more drinks if its going to make me feel that hung over. I mostly stopped as I really could not sleep on it.

There is also a site called Freecycle.com if you'd like to give away some stuff to people or charities, you can state who you would like to have preference to the items. I have used it in the past and its quite good, although I don't give my number, just let them reply to the ad, otherwise they will drive you crazy.

Space: Thanks for the invite, I will keep it in mind if things ever get bad this side and I need to escape for a couple of days. I guess I'm just in a bit of a funk. Feel a bit better this week. Also back to upping my dose of Topa so we'll see.

Your daughter and her friends are a bit bad with their weight, 2 dress sizes is no fooling around, usually they lose more the closer to the wedding, not the other way around!

I also struggle with not being able to sleep and bf's not wanting to go to bed until 2 is starting to wear me out. I told him this week is midnight for me as I have lots of work to catch up on.

Play: I do love Barcelona and remember the La Ramblas. Its actually my favorite European city (so far). I guess just give me some time to get out of this bad brain funk. Bf is supporting me financially and the customs official nearly deported me at Heathrow when I arrived here so my issues are A asking for more money and B whether I'm allowed a Schengen visa while on a visitors visa and C whether I'll face another crummy British official when I arrive back in the UK. But I'll have a rethink when a bit better and do appreciate the invite.

Hi Sun. Your bike ride sounds lovely! Thanks, I'm playing with my Topa dose. If I go higher my mood is better but I can't really drink which means weekends are a bit bland as bf does enjoy going out until late and then I become all tired and 'want to go home' very early on. I'll find some middle ground that works for both of us. He told me he will cut down if its affecting my mood so much as he's good at home but as soon as his mates ask him for a 'quick one' after work I'm afraid it can go on for a long time.

Mimi, sad movies can be good to get rid of pent up tears, as long as you keep them to the minimum Best of luck with the out patient program, you have shown that you can do long periods of abstinence before so I know you can do this.

Wu, if Topa makes your heart race then you want to be very careful with the titration. Just take it slow. Glad you can meet up with the others but my heart goes out to you with regards to the inlaws and the difficult time that will lie ahead with dealing with family matters.

Mama bear, good to see you here, I second Sun, you should come here more often.

Houtx, so glad you can join everyone else, Jeez, it seems like you guys are going to have some slumber party!

Hugs to everyone,

:h

Comment

Oh, and Wu, I find grapeseed oil extract or any good antioxidant does help for the tingling in my hands and feet due to the Topa. I find that it has mostly settled now but it does reappear and gets worse if I drink more. Its definitely the Topa and nothing to worry about although I do find it uncomfortable when it does happen. Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks so much Diz.... I have NO idea whats really going on with me. Yesterdays moodiness was really strange. I cant wait to get to the Doc, and get some hormones... or maybe my bipolar issues are getting worse. I am normally so much more stable. Maybe its the trip coming up. Perhaps I should have not just stopped the effexor.

Heart racing comes and goes, and its only for quick spurts, like for a few minutes. It only happens the first day or so of going up.

I can very much relate to your issue with leaving GB, now that you have explained it. That would be SCARY SCARY!!

I am so glad you seem to be doing better. When is /was your concert? That sounded fun! Sooo jealous!

Thank you so much again.... Hugs dear... and so glad you are back and doing better...

Comment

Hi Wu

I did not believe my doc that I had bipolar as I have never had mood swings until I discovered topa. So although it works at a very lower dosage for us, we cannot afford to play around or taper up and down quickly the way others can.

I agree that you need to see your doctor as soon as possible. I don't think Effexor is the best AD for people with drinking issues and certainly not if you suspect bipolar. Lamictal would be much better IMO but from what you are saying I think it may be 'the change' in which case we won't really be able to track your emotions unless your hormones are under control. :l That can't be easy, especially not with everything you have going on.

The concert was last weekend. It was a LOT of fun but unfortunately I couldnt really take great pictures as we couldnt get near the stage, only a screen, the place were so packed. The weather was good though and the place had a family picknicky atmosphere so I really enjoyed it. Most people still sounded the same, well not as great as their studio albums but it was live and outdoors AND they're 30 years older so I gave them a break A lot of these people still do tour and have new albums out so you should just look out for them.

Here's a link of their travel schedule: HERE AND NOW

OK, perhaps Vienna is not so close to you ... Sorry. But perhaps later in the year or next year.

Comment

Morning All!

Sorry I never got back here yesterday … sometimes just don’t know where my days go.

Houtx – Very Excited you will be here and we FINALLY get to meet! Yes, it does seem like much longer than Jan of 09. Hell – I’ve been around since 06! Yikes! Although when I first joined MWO I attempted to gain control with only supps, the book and the CDs. I’m just not one that likes medications, but I finally gave up and tried Topa.

And I agree on the therapy here as well – keeps me sane at times. I think this place helps me more than this new therapist! Which, speaking of, I am not sure is a good fit.

I had another session yesterday and I’m not really sure WHAT I expect from her. I suppose I thought I would walk out with “more to think about” and perhaps some understanding. But I don’t at all. I feel like I have just had a cup of coffee with a GF and we chatted.

She’s a bit younger than me and not to sound mean, but does not seem to really care much about her appearance. Such as messy hair, badly dressed, etc. I guess that just bugs me because I feel like I want to talk to someone that has “their act together”. She is single, lives alone, is afraid to try online dating even though her friends are prompting her. She says if she ever “got involved again” or even if she re-married, she would not live with him – she likes her “space”. She also agrees that it’s hard to date in San Diego and that So Cal really is very superficial. She seems lonely to me. I think she may be as messed up as me! HA!

I don’t see her next week because I will out of town at the South Coast Spa & Winery with a GF for three days. May or may not see her on Labor Day – we’ll see if I have my act together the day before guests arrive! LOL At $80 a pop – just not sure if she can help me solve anything ….

And Houtx – (and all) the heat wave FINALLY broke yesterday and it was even a bit chilly last night and again this morning . SWEET! I know you are used to high temps, but I amused to having all my doors and windows open! You cracked my up about your clothes! But remember – this is CASUAL time! And SD is pretty casual anyways …

MamaBear: I agree with Sun! I’m not on Topa either anymore, yet here I am! HA! And I know now I can never go back on Topa. *sigh* But I am not leaving – so there! LOL

Sun:
                    LOL on rolling p my pant legs! I AM going to get you into some cute shorts! Although in reality – I think you are smaller than me! I refuse to buy any new clothes right now as I KNOW I will get back to normal someday. GRRR. Weighed in at 111# again yesterday. I did eat better yesterday and feel much better this morning because of it. That and all the meds I think are finally out of my system.

WU:
                    I’m so sorry you having these issues with your in-laws. Must be SO stressful on you! But at least it is out in the open (for the most part). And hopefully they will begin to see the “big picture” and understand better. Maybe when you go back, you could more to a place that does not belong to them. Possible to get a place you and hubby could call your “own”? That along would make me bonkers ….

OH – Just read your post about your MIL calling! Yea! That must be a bit of a relief!

And WU, I do the same thing in writing, except I use Office Word. And I AM going to teach Houtx how to cut & paste when she is here! HA! HA!

Yep – We are almost mirrors WU!
                    Same thing here … pretty good when I am at work or out and about. But home all day and I over drink, get morning cravings and end up sipping all day without hardly eating. UGH. Don’t get in my shoes and stop eating! How are the SEs at 175 mg? I was up to 150 mg and feeling pretty good. YES! Take your supps! I’ve been a bit bad of late too – gotta get back in that routine.

When was that post written by Roberta??? Must look it up. Interesting stuff!! It would be great to read her blog. I’m a bit saddened that she is still struggling a bit as well …

Your song was funny … and oh so TRUE!

Diz: Good to see you back around. Sorry about the hangover – the WORST!

And I am still undecided about taking Nal again. I too had a few SEs on it in the beginning, but never really any problems sleeping. My therapist was surprised I was uncertain. But I want to see my blood work up first. And it’s also a bit discouraging that ANOTHER pioneer from the TSM board is back. I suspect who it is, and one that had great success a few years ago.

As for giving away stuff – I give most of it to my housekeeper. She has a large family (very common for Hispanics) and she also goes to Tijuana from time to time and sells stuff. For ALL she does for me, I wish I could pay her double! But at least I feel good when I can give her things that I know I could otherwise sell on Craigs List of EBay. I just don’t like people coming up here and it’s a pain to be shipping stuff.

OK – I’m just going to put this out there …. I am sensing some stress from a few of you coming for our BIG VISIT. So I’m going to repeat my “rules” that I wrote to Sun. HA!

1) You go to bed and get up when you feel like it. Naps are acceptable as well. HA! I am FAMOUS for them!
                    2) I am a crappy hostess so you guys are on your own. LOL Eat what and when you want to. I’ll point you to the coffee pot, the pantry and you can find the frig and stove on your own.
                    3) If you crave quiet or “down time”, there are plenty of places to have that around here.
                    4) If you want to jump in the Jeep and take off somewhere or head to the beach – the key will always be on the counter.
                    5) I’m not making many “plans” – other than kayaking on Wednesday. We’ll just play it all by ear. If someone wants to “hang back” and others go somewhere – so be it. No reason for us to be joined at the hip! HA!
                    6) Charlie will accept any and walks in the hills and it’s a go get-away stroll. =)
                    7) My home is VERY casual – dress accordingly and any ensemble will not be complete without Golden Retriever fur – so just expect it. Black is not advised. HA! HA! Lint rollers will be available. *laughing here*

I’m REALLY excited to meet everyone and can only imagine what this “therapy session” will be like! I now have two computers set up in my office – but have WiFi so if anyone wants to bring a laptop ….. warning: I smoke in my office.

I’ve attempted to set up a “private forum” for those that are coming – and if we care to share pics with others – I think it could be done if all agree. Not really sure I have it set up right yet and I gave the link to Houtx – probably not the best one to try and figure it out. HA! HA! Sorry Houtx! No offense! LOL

So there …. =)

So I feel like I am in this damn “holding pattern” right now. A touch of depression, but mostly just lack of motivation and interest in my shop. *sigh* I spoke with the therapist yesterday asking her about being bi-polar or manic. After a ton of questions … she feels no. We discussed “situational depression” vs. chemical and she had me in tears again discussing the loss of “buddy” in my life. Yep – it’s so recent and still so painful. For the 1st time in almost 20 years I know I will not hear from him on my birthday coming up. I didn’t call him on his either on Aug 8th …. It’s also damn sad.

Lots of “my heartbreak of a lifetime” (the sax player) talk and that I recently saw him again. Perhaps I just never worked all the way through that? Hard to say – but I it still kicks my butt.

Next time I see her she wants to talk about my relationships with my sisters – one who is passed over. The other that is a pain in the arse! Joy oh joy – THAT should be fun. UGH. Maybe I WON’T see her the day before 3 of you arrive! HA!

If I USED to drink about 2 bottles of wine a day and still had energy and interest – again, is it the AL that is finally catching up with me? Just want that ZIP back in life. Same as many of you talk about. She had the NERVE to say “maybe it has to do with age”. Bit*ch! LOL

Ok – Enough rambling ….

Love & Hugs to all ….

Comment

Thank you so much Diz. I really normally dont need meds for Bi polar issues, i believe that i self medicate largely for my anxiety. The hormonal issues, which i believe i was interpreting more as depression, if it is in fact that, would hopefully be solved once i see my doc on the 23rd. I actually got mad yesterday. Completely out of character for me. I never get mad! ok, he doesnt know i was mad, i only wrote it here, but still! Can we say hormone bomb? Thank you for helping me understand what may be going on.... i really wasnt sure, as i know that topa can be prescribed for bipolar as well, and thought it might have an affect on that... but then the preggers thought, very bad when one is drinking... plus another few thing i cant mention... and then finally i had an aha moment.. and made a call to my gyno... and he confirmed.... so baby steps.

You are so sweet to have looked it up. Thank you! By that time i will have met everyone in San Diego!! Horray!! It sounds like you had a nice time though, and a very nice few days. I wish you could joins us!
                      Well, love, thanks again, and have a wonderful day!

Comment

I was extremely emotional yesterday when i posted yesterday, and am not quite sure what is going on. I have the topa, which is prescribed for bi polar, but i am a mild case, something like Kradle, but perhaps a bit more mild. not sure, as my time in the wacko house made me promise myself never to take another med for bi polar until topa. (big pat on back WTE) My symptoms are severe at the moment, something like pregnancy... except worse. I never get mad. Thankfully, i didnt, i only posted it. Men here think that women that stay home just play tennis and go to lunches all day. Well, if they do, i dont know how, and i dont have time for that right now either way... i am busy making little love notes for hubby, and making sure he has a nice life while i am gone.

Funny thing WTE, I have seen a few therapists and Psychiatrists over the years,(plus i lived with one) and they will not all agree on a diagnosis. It will also depend on your frame of mind when you go, and the stage you are in at that point in your life. In college, they told us dont be afraid as you study this, you may see a little of each of these problems in yourself. ( I was pre med/ psych) You may still have some residual ADs.. and what if some of this is being caused by a chemical imbalance that will show up in your bloodwork? I just think that It might be difficult to diagnose any such problem before one rules out other issues. Besides, I am not sure she is qualified to diagnose you, people like us need someone moe special....Ha!! we are in a class all by ourselves!!

Well, i love your rules, they were just proof that you are the wonderful person i suspected..

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

WTE..... When i wrote we are almost mirrors.. there are many reasons, but at the time, i was refering to the closets...HA!! ( my brain just thinks so fast right now sometimes i cant scroll fast enough to hold the thought, not sure what it is) there is so much i want to get rid of, and you were asking sun if she might want to help out?? thinking back.. there is also the showering issue, (too tired to do so.. and for me once that's done i just don't really want to style my hair...uugghhh!) and also, these pesky little things, that i just don't get it why other people don't seem to have problems like i do, or do they just deal better??!!??

That post was written 8/18/2006... upon reading it today, i tried to find her blog, to see if there is anything new. Interesting was also that the other drug was administered as a shot... There is no blog, though i did find it. Nothing on it.

Comment

Um.. i think i just had a CLICK moment... is your bday the 31st of aug WTE?

Comment

hi peeps...boring rainu day here
                              it has rained non stop for days
                              make me want to curl up and nap
                              hope everyone is well
                              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

After having been busy for the past two days I have just slumped and feel like falling asleep, so Im too tired to say much, just hello really and to let you all know that Im here and reading. x

Comment

Working...
                                X