New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ally, no I'm stuck on 62.5mg but I do up with 12,5mg at a time. It makes me lose a LOT of sleep when I up a dose but unfortunately doesnt work for my appetite. Cut down to 25 and give that a bit longer first with the glutamine to see if that can perhaps work for you. Why does your husband say you have bipolar? I never thought I had because I was always low until my mom was diagnosed and then the Topa made me slightly manic for a bit.

Thanks Sun, Xmas sure didnt help my mood. Is that what you were upset about last night, your daugher's car?

XXX

Comment

Dizzy:

So does Topa help your drinking? That's weird that you never had mania and you take topamax and that gave you mania!

my husband thinks I'm too moody, have sleep issues, sometimes talking too much, sometimes withdraw from the world, sometimes buying excessive stupid things, working too much,etc....

ok. I will go down to 25 mg topamax today and see if it still helps w weight and not cause depression
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

The doc said I was latent 'unipolar bipolar' which means I have only ever experienced the downside of bipolar or when I was supposed to be manic I would get very agitated or anxious, not happy manic.

Topamax lifted my mood and controlled my cravings for alcohol from Day 1. I started abstain after about two weeks (I think about that much) as it also took the fun out of drinking, it just made me feel sleepy. I also started forgetting about drinks, leaving them in rooms etc. something that never happened before.

I had a couple of times where I abstained for 30 days or so but sometimes the itch would come back even though I felt much better without the drink.

After 6 months though I started drinking over it and now when I try to up my dose I feel anxious instead of 'slightly happy manic.' So I'm stuck and should see a doctor. If you're worried you should perhaps also see a doctor. I have found that antidepressants dont work for me but something called Lamictal used to before Topamax started to work.

Comment

Dizzy:

Sounds like topamax is working well but for you dosing is the key.

Will take your advice and see a doctor if my mood swings get worse.

I do hear Lamictal is a great medicine and I think someone posted a thread about it a few weeks back.
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Yes, you know your body and mind best and I was just suggesting Lamictal in case you ever find that antidepressants don't work. I take it on and off but had to stop it because it augments the Topamax and was also making my anxiety worse. I guess its doctor time soon and bed time right now. Had a long day. :l

Comment

Thanks Dizzy! Most of the time my mood is pretty good... this month I just had a lot going on... then I started wondering if topamax could be the cause of my depression and weight loss. But it could all due to my multiple stressors this month.

I just want this day to be over with. It's 4 pm and I have one more appointment... Hope they don't show so I can go home early!
              Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Hi all - home from work - it is 11.00 pm and it is good to be home. we have had snow for the past three hours so the drive home was a bit hairy, and it is supposed to snow for a few more hours - it isn't really sticking properly but there is a couple of inches on the grass and Katie LOVED it !!!! She was wonderful to watch - it warmed the cockles of my heart to watch her tearing around in the snow - daisy wouldn't play so I did !! LOL

Dizzy and ally - good to see you chatting about the topa - it doesn't make me feel any different at all mood wise or energy wise. I think it is great that it works at such a low dose for you. I looked up lamictal and it is similar to Topa isn't it? Does it have the same thing re the drinking that Topa has?

Ally - do hope that you are feeling better today. I am feeling better than I was - apart from the car thing - and yes dizzy - it was that that upset me - I don't want to go into it on the thread - I will PM you. Work is getting better and calming down a bit plus I am off tomorrow, work Sunday then have two days off. I usually work new years eve and new years day because it matters not to me if I work, whereas the younger ones want to go out, but for some reason I have both days off! Things are settling down at home too and we both (hubs and I) have to get used to him being home 36 hours out of every day - LOL

WTE - where are you? We need to hear from you. Houtx - sorry you lost your post! I just don't understand how you keep doing that - you need to visit WTE or someone and we can show you how to cut and paste !!

I am going to get going. Have a good book that I want to finish, then must get to bed. will be back tomorrow !! Love and hugs to all

PLAY - hope that you had a good journey home and are recovering !!

love and hugs, Sun XXX
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sorry about pm full Sun. Haven't checked vmail either. Out of town and unable to download /clear pm box. Talk soon! !

Comment

Hey all -
                    I think I sometimes forget to check the "remember me" box and also stay on the post too long, revising & editing, getting distracted, etc...I definitely think the time factor has something to do with it. If I am on too long, it sometimes just vanishes. Perhaps having a few glasses o' wine as I contemplate what I'm saying has something to do with it also?! Ya think?!

Anyway - enuf about me...good to read everyone's posts. I really learn and think a lot by the various reactions you all have to the TOPA. I was thinking about LIFE and trying to get a grip on this and taking TOPA again as I was driving back from Dallas today. I am leery about mail-ordering it, but am definitely not going thru the DR I used for all my meds before. Do not want it on my insurance this time around.

Worried the stuff from RIVER Pharm may not be as effective. Thoughts? Seems there was discussion about this in previous posts. Lots to catch up on, but for now I will be reading and making brief comments! lol

Comment

Just a quick post to let you know that I am home, exhausted but in good shape. Got home about 2am last night and then couldn't sleep, now I'm going to bed at 8pm (or sooner,LOL) and hope to sleep till noon tomorrow, doubtful but a nice relaxing thought. Will try to catch up with everyone tomorrow,

Love and Hugs,
                      Play

Comment

Welcome home Play - thanks for letting us know you arrived safely. Hope you get some sleep and get back to US time soon !!

I am getting ready for work - really enjoyed my day off yesterday. Good to see you Houtx and Bruun......

love and hugs to all, Sun XX
                        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Glad you are back safely, play.

Hi everyone. It's 3:45 am, why am I up?!
                          Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Good grief Ally - WHY are you up? I know why I am up - I am getting ready for work - but I have no idea why YOU are up - go back to bed !!!! Have a snooze for me - LOL

hugs, sun XX

Comment

Hi all, just wanted to join you again if thats ok after my dissapearing for weeks. I had a lovelyt christmas and am ok now and feeling a lot better on my new meds for bipolar and fibromyalgia after the awful mess I got into wish getting flu, changing meds and then drinking vodka on top of it all. I am so sorry that I missed spain and also feel guilty to play and sun as well after all the help and support they gave me.

I havent read back just jumped in so I hope everyone is ok and look forward to getting back in here again xxx

Comment

Hiya, Bebe! :l

Hope it's a happy and prosperous New Year for all you lovelies!

Comment

Working...
                                X