• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here and starting Topa and with a question

:l:l:l and kisses too.

Comment

Hi All,
      just home from work, having my wine tonight, enjoying it, and even tho I am not taking the AB tomorrow, I am going to do my best to limit the drinking to when I am with my family, now that will be quite a feat if I manage it, we will see.

Sun, yes, lets do this week together, and please read your Carr Book this week, I think we should go ahead and take it again on the next Monday, I think the thing with you "just waiting for Saturday" is just CRAVINGS, to be expected and you have to push thru and remember to think that drinking only two days out of the week just has to be better for us, i think if you can push thru this you will be glad you did, and remember that five days is not Forever:h this is one of those "honest opinions" that you were asking for and I think Space kind of said the same thing.

Dear Meggie, i love your recent post, I feel that you are working up to a time that you are able to make a plan, no matter if it doesn't succeed at first, or where it takes you, please stick here with us, we love you. I kind of agree with Stuck, you have to hit the place when you just get tired of it, how it is taking your time, your energy, you perhaps somehow are becoming stronger in some way that allows you to kindle the fire of wanting to change things when you do reach some of those places of total despair. For me it took many years of drinking and totally escaping from everything that was painful and making me crazy, until now, I finally have reached that place of wanting to change it at the same time that I WANT TO CONTINUE IT.

And so, it is not just physical, in your head, it is an internal "feeling", which will come about when it is time for you to start making the change. Did that make sense

Hi Ne, nice to see you here, and I'm so happy that you changed your Avatar :H

Teezah, how are you tonight, I think I got the "decamped" thing you probably have to have "been there".

Space, love you and will see you in july, either i am coming there or you are coming to S. take you pick:h

So, my Reflections on my first week of AB and the AB 5/2 Plan.

I would say that this is the first time that I have actually used any of my own will power to refrain from drinking. Before, I never used it or wanted to use it and just said that "I don't have any willpower over drinking", now I see that statement is of course ridiculous, I just didn't want to try, I just wanted to rely on something outside of myself to make the change easy, painless, and passive.

This week I saw that even tho I used AB as a deterrent, I could of course have had a drink no matter what the consequences. And each evening, I did actually know that it would be a really bad idea to drink, and that brought about the fact that I needed to use some of my own willpower to push thru, to have that big glass of bubbly water, eat something right away, make an effort to put my mind somewhere else, and it is a revelation to me that I was able to do that and it helped me realize that I was able to go thru the bit of cravings and find a way thru, a way that was not awful, a way that helped take my mind off things, a way that showed me that I in fact do have willpower of my own that can help me find my way thru this.

So, for this first week, WEEK ONE!!! I have learned that I can make it thru a craving and go on living:H and that the craving does subside ( I never knew that before). It has given me the idea that perhaps at some point in the future I will be able to do this on my own, using my will power and retraining my brain.

Well, guys and dolls, I will see you tomorrow, isn't it wonderful that we are all on our path of self-discovery and when we help ourselves we also help each other.

peace

Comment

Does anyone think that a charge of $64!!!!!! is justified just for shipping MWO top products to the UK?
        ?Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.?

― George Carlin

Comment

OMG - Daevid - were the items you were having shipped heavy? I ship a lot of stuff to England and generally pay around $20 for a box under 5 lbs. It would be cheaper for you to have someone here have them shipped to them here and then they ship them to you possibly........ it depends what it was.

Hi everyone else - Meggie - lovely to see you and I love how you keep popping in. Yes, we do have a very caring thread here and yes, we are constantly trying new things and support each other - it is great!

Ne - nice to see you too.....

Play - yes, we will take it again next Monday and I will have to change my attitude. You seem so much more positive than me re this - this week I plan on getting 2 guinness at the gas station on my way home - the stores only sell it in 4 packs. That way I can only have two!

Last night - well, yesterday afternoon I did a stupid thing - I ate a whole carton of Ben & jerry - the three serving size - my body is not used to that much sweet/fat all at once and I thought I was almost in a coma. I went to bed at 5.30 !!! Passed out immediately. I feel okay this morning albeit a tad wobbly - I thought I would have a massive hangover but feel okay really. I have never eaten that much ice cream in one sitting before and will never do it again ! Got up at 4.30 this morning instead of 5.00 as I was awake !

Yes Play - I do have to push through with the feelings and am so glad we are doing this together - I will do it again next Monday and hopefully will be fine this week with the 2 Guinness. I also must get out the Carr book as I said - he always talks sense to me. I also need to make a plan to DO stuff when I get home - sitting reading isn't going to hack it. I need to actually have a life and start doing things instead of sitting and waiting.

Well, off to get ready for work...... back later everyone, hugs,

Sun XXX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sun sorry I had to laugh at you and the ice cream, Ive never heard of anyone being affected by overeating like you. I have a picture in my head now of you sitting covered in ice cream forcing it down then collapsing and waking up with it in your hair. Do you mean you though you would have a hangover from the ice cream or what you drank?

Anyway missy you asked for honesty and it looks like Im going to be the one who gives it to you I will let you off this week then since your already determined, just because Play is not taking her AB you have decided to skive off and join her. But Im keeping my eye on you now and will be expecting your report in everyday on time or you will have detention and lines. I am worried that this week you might change your mind about the plan, you know it worked last week, so what if the mornings wernt great, its hardley the end of the world is it and it will all take time for your body and mind to change, you may well be sleeping differntly without the AL in your system. I know when I drank I would wake earlier than without a drink because the AL leaving my body would wake me, it was telling me its time to top up. I know your not a heavy drinker like I was but that might be whats still happening with you in a more subtle way. Like "ok come on wake up and get your day over with so I can have some AL please".

Hi Meggie its good to see you posting and lovely to hear from you, it doesnt matter what you say I like you anyway. The fact that you are coming on shows you are doing something to change, I know last year I started listening to meditation cd's each day and it helped me, I need to start trying to do them again, I went and lost the ipod my daughter gave me which is why I stopped but my son lent me his so its not an excuse I just didnt bother getting back into it.

Teezah could you tell us what decamped up the road meant. I also have no clue what you where talking about and cant understand how Play knows.

Hi Ne nice to see you pop in your welcome anytime you fancy a sit down and a chat :l

Deavid I am also in the UK and have never ordered from MWO for the reason of the ridiculous postage they charge. I have never thought of asking someone over there to get it for me like Sun suggested but it depends on what it is you want. The only thing I would like to get but cant get over here is the ALLOne powder. I think you can buy the other supps here either in Holland and Barratt or online.

Your plan for the week Play sounds good to try and stick to drinking only when you are going out as you now know you have will power :H Oh I am having trouble thinking about today tho never mind July.

OK I have spent enough time on here and am going to have to get up and get this car sorted I suppose, I am dreading it and really want to pretend its not happening but thats no good.

Hi to Houxt, Dizz and anyone else out there

xx

Comment

Hi all

I'm sorry if I've been scarce and if I don't reply to everyone. I'm in the process of applying for my visa and I have so much expenses so I'm trying to work as much as possible while still feeling wobbly from the Metformin as it makes my blood sugar too low. Bf is helping out but I have a flat tyre so now I have to buy two flat tyres but my brother says my car's shocks are also done and some other things so I need at least R3000 to fix my car (R8 = $1) and I've already spent about R4000 on doctors and the same amount on dentists while I'm here, and will need another 3K for medication for the next 6 months. Its just a lot of money to spend at once for someone who is struggling with health and getting regular assignments. Normally these things are spread out but as I'm only here for a little bit and things are generally cheaper here, it just means a lot of cash has to change hands in a short time.

Sooo, I can commiserate with the car Space. I also feel like simply lying in bed most days and don't even feel like changing the tyre. There is a temp spare tyre on but its an emergency one so now I have to use my brother's care and that's also stressful as I don't like driving other people's cars. If I can't make ends meet we will probably just unplug the car battery for 3 months until I can save enough money to send home so my brother can fix the damn car I never use Anyway, I wanted to say sorry about your car and I hope the new car is OK and the previous owner wasn't conning you.

Sun, as for honest opinions I'd say everyone on this thread would prefer drinking 7 days a week instead of 2 or 0 if they could and I know for a fact that Guiness' health and iron claims is WAY overrated. I'm a bit disappointed you and Play both went off 'the plan' after a week but I know sometimes life gets in the way.

That being said you are the only one on this thread that were able to get away with drinking 2 Guiness per night and if you can do that, I can think of no reason why you shouldn't. Oh, and both Antabuse and Guinness can have a big effect on your blood sugar, never mind if its half a tab or only two cans. I know this as I'm currently reading about 5 books on blood sugar

This week be mindful when you drink - how much do you drink, why do you drink, how does it make you feel? If you go over 2, then why? Then next week if you try the AB again write down again how you feel in the evening. Like I said, if I can drink 2 drinks with dinner without still feeling deprived at the end, no one will stop me, especially if it gives me more energy, so keep telling yourself this. Its either TWO or its alcohol free weekdays. Perhaps your brain will listen

Play, your situation is much different from Sun's. I think you're much more like me in that when you take the AB you are gaining energy, losing weight and I think you're much more control. I also don't have an 'off' button until the bottle of wine is gone and when my topa isnt one the right dose I start craving at lunch time already. Perhaps you have more to gain than she does and (I'm not saying she will) but even if she does go off the plan, remember that I'm on it for the long haul and I know we're not on the same time zone but I'll always be here for you if you need support. It felt so great and inspirational to read your week's progress!

Teezah, hope you're feeling better and also not sure what decamped means... LOL.

Hope everyone else is well, will check in soon.

:l

Comment

Hi all

I'm sorry if I've been scarce and if I don't reply to everyone. I'm in the process of applying for my visa and I have so much expenses so I'm trying to work as much as possible while still feeling wobbly from the Metformin as it makes my blood sugar too low. Bf is helping out but I have a flat tyre so now I have to buy two flat tyres but my brother says my car's shocks are also done and some other things so I need at least R3000 to fix my car (R8 = $1) and I've already spent about R4000 on doctors and the same amount on dentists while I'm here, and will need another 3K for medication for the next 6 months. Its just a lot of money to spend at once for someone who is struggling with health and getting regular assignments. Normally these things are spread out but as I'm only here for a little bit and things are generally cheaper here, it just means a lot of cash has to change hands in a short time.

Sooo, I can commiserate with the car Space. I also feel like simply lying in bed most days and don't even feel like changing the tyre. There is a temp spare tyre on but its an emergency one so now I have to use my brother's care and that's also stressful as I don't like driving other people's cars. If I can't make ends meet we will probably just unplug the car battery for 3 months until I can save enough money to send home so my brother can fix the damn car I never use Anyway, I wanted to say sorry about your car and I hope the new car is OK and the previous owner wasn't conning you.

Sun, as for honest opinions I'd say everyone on this thread would prefer drinking 7 days a week instead of 2 or 0 if they could and I know for a fact that Guiness' health and iron claims is WAY overrated. I'm a bit disappointed you and Play both went off 'the plan' after a week but I know sometimes life gets in the way.

That being said you are the only one on this thread that were able to get away with drinking 2 Guiness per night and if you can do that, I can think of no reason why you shouldn't. Oh, and both Antabuse and Guinness can have a big effect on your blood sugar, never mind if its half a tab or only two cans. I know this as I'm currently reading about 5 books on blood sugar

Oh, and the fact that sugar effects you *so much* as in the ice cream makes me wonder if you could not perhaps be insulin resistant as well, which would explain why antabuse may be affecting you or why you feel better when you have a drink or two. I always get sugar hangovers. It is possible to be insulin resistant without being overweight. Just the fact that Space laughed at how it affected you (I know not in a bad way) but I totally understood straight away made me wonder... It could be nothing but if anyone in your family has diabetes, its cheap and easy to get a fasting insulin and glucose test - the only nasty part is you have to not eat for 8 or 12 hours.

This week be mindful when you drink - how much do you drink, why do you drink, how does it make you feel? If you go over 2, then why? Then next week if you try the AB again write down again how you feel in the evening. Like I said, if I can drink 2 drinks with dinner without still feeling deprived at the end, no one will stop me, especially if it gives me more energy, so keep telling yourself this. Its either TWO or its alcohol free weekdays. Perhaps your brain will listen

Play, your situation is much different from Sun's. I think you're much more like me in that when you take the AB you are gaining energy, losing weight and I think you're much more control. I also don't have an 'off' button until the bottle of wine is gone and when my topa isnt one the right dose I start craving at lunch time already. Perhaps you have more to gain than she does and (I'm not saying she will) but even if she does go off the plan, remember that I'm on it for the long haul and I know we're not on the same time zone but I'll always be here for you if you need support. It felt so great and inspirational to read your week's progress!

Teezah, hope you're feeling better and also not sure what decamped means... LOL.

Comment

Hi all

Sooo, I can commiserate with the car, Space. I also feel like simply lying in bed most days and don't even feel like changing the tyre. There is a temp spare tyre on but its an emergency one so now I have to use my brother's care and that's also stressful as I don't like driving other people's cars. If I can't make ends meet we will probably just unplug the car battery for 3 months until I can save enough money to send home so my brother can fix the damn car I never use Anyway, I wanted to say sorry about your car and I hope the new car is OK and the previous owner wasn't conning you.

Oh, and the fact that sugar effects you *so much* as in the ice cream makes me wonder if you could not perhaps be insulin resistant as well, which would explain why antabuse may be affecting you or why you feel better when you have a drink or two. I always get sugar hangovers. It is possible to be insulin resistant without being overweight. Just the fact that Space laughed at how it affected you (I know not in a bad way) but I totally understood straight away made me wonder... It could be nothing but if anyone in your family has diabetes, its cheap and easy to get a fasting insulin and glucose test - the only nasty part is you have to not eat for 8 or 12 hours.

You wouldnt have to change your diet much if that is the case but sugar would be a no go and more than 2 Guiness would definitely be out of the question. I have to incorporate all things low GL into my diet now as well as a lot of legumes and for me fish, eggs and meat. Do you eat fish? Tofu is also good as well as nuts.

Play
                  , your situation is much different from Sun's. I think you're much more like me in that when you take the AB you are gaining energy, losing weight and I think you're much more control. I also don't have an 'off' button until the bottle of wine is gone and when my topa isnt one the right dose I start craving at lunch time already. Perhaps you have more to gain than she does and (I'm not saying she will) but even if she does go off the plan, remember that I'm on it for the long haul and I know we're not on the same time zone but I'll always be here for you if you need support. It felt so great and inspirational to read your week's progress!

Teezah
                  , hope you're feeling better and also not sure what decamped means... LOL.

Comment

Hi there - very swift post as I am about to leave for work - Space - the hangover I was expecting was from the ice cream!! My body can't handle that much sugar and fat all at once ! Dizzy - just saw your second post - yes, I suppose my blood sugar is pretty sensitive isn't it? I will read it again properly when I come home - got to go and thanks for the honesty guys !!! love you all,

love, Sun XXX
                    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

As always Dizzy you are so much more insightful and tactful than me, how do you do that. I do think that with all your other exspenses you should just leave your car for now, especially since you can use your brothers car. Sorry things are difficult for you right now, no wonder you want to stay in bed.

The guy from the garage just rang me and it will cost ?156 to get my car fixed, I will have to get the money and pay for it, I just hope this is a one off and there are no other problems with it.

Comment

Morning all. It’s a beautiful morning here – does the heart good to see the sun shine so beautifully. I’m going to walk the dog in a while and sort out the other animals - try to get some vitamin D in me!!

Ha, ha,ha, Decamped means moving the whole flippin’ family lock stock & BARREL up the road for a weekend – no easy feat for a family of 5 with a little disabled one who has tons of meds, feeds & equipment!! This weekend we drove up to where hubby’s mum used to live as we are clearing her house out. It’s a very sad task to be undertaking. It seems her and her husband never threw anything away. My eldest daughter helped me string books together while my hubby & son took stuff to the recycling centre. There is still so much to do. Well we’re back home now after 3 nights and the 3 kids are off to school & hubby’s off to Shetland to work for the week so I have some time to myself we’re all fully recovered from illnesses.

I’m still doing well on Topa. So very grateful for that too! Hubby and I had said to each other that we would both cut down over February, and he did do really well but his intake has been creeping up again. He hasn’t the benefit of drugs though, just willpower. He made a comment about me “lording it over him” because I wasn’t drinking and he was, but that was purely his conscience speaking, as I have not passed comment. He said it in jest…as many a true word is. He knows I’ve been taking Topa as well – he shouldn’t be so hard on himself! He’s also been missing his drinking buddy i.e. me, as he was questioning me forlornly as to whether I was ever going to drink again. I actually didn’t have an answer for him! I don’t know what I’m trying to achieve here! I had a vague goal of stopping drinking a bottle of wine a night, and although that has happened, on the surface I strongly feel that I have done nothing deeper than taking a pill to put me off wine & read a lot on these forums. Ok, that maybe sounded a bit glib, because actually that is a huge achievement, but to be successful in this challenge I have to know where I’m going. But maybe for now, just taking the Topa and seeing how time spins things out for me are enough. Yes, I think that’s the way to go as I’m still not steady on my feet yet.

Space: What a run of bad luck you’re having. I hope everything goes ok with the car and it’s something that does no cost much to repair. How did dinner with your mum go?

Sun: I'm glad you savored your Guinness this weekend and there were no lingering after effects from he antabuse.

Play: That was a lovely story about coming off the AD’s thank you so much for sharing it.

Stuck – Good to see you getting the support of the Bac experts on your thread. Keep formulating your plan and stick with it. You deserve a better life. Yes, you.

Dizzy – Just saw your post – lots of food for thought there – especially for sun.

Meggie / Houtx / Norac / Ne Hi

oops sorry space cross post. ouch ?150
                        Teezah

Comment

Oh Hi Dizz, I'm only taking this week off because my daughter is coming from Spain for the week because my younger daughter here just got engaged. Her sister has to approve of the "fianc?" and it is also a business trip for her. I will be together with them all most every evening and don't want to explain why I can't have a drink and there will be an engagement party for family and friends and I must be able to do the toast, etc. but I am definitely taking it next Monday, I haven not given up in fact I liked it so much I am more determined than ever.

Love, and see you tonight I'm off to work.
                          Peace, play

Comment

Don't worry Play - I would've done exactly the same thing if I had to go out with family every night of the week. I know its not your fault. I just meant the timing's sucky as you were doing so well but it's no negative reflection on you! :l

And in retrospect I didn't mean to make it sound that I decided Sun will give up on it. I just meant it is obvious that it so far has a lot more positive benefits for you. But perhaps we can still get to the bottom of why Sun feels pooped without the Guinness.

I no that sometimes there are thin people whose bodies produces too much insulin and that keeps their blood sugar too low unless they regularly eat.

Anyway, gotta work - just wanted to explain what I meant.

Comment

Wish I could stay and talk:l:l

Later

Comment

Hey everyone. Home from work and have been thinking a LOT about what dizzy wrote this morning. I do have a problem with a lot of different foods - I have what I call my coma sandwich - a toasted cheese and veggie bacon sandwich - it always knocks me out. I cannot eat tomato soup and whole wheat toast - again, I am out for the count. Years ago I had a 6 hour glucose tolerance test and it showed then that I had hypoglycemia - I felt so ill - I also cannot fast - although I have no problem not eating breakfast! I so understand the sugar hangovers Diz - I also get them! What are the books that you are reading?

I love that you said it is either 2 drinks or AF !!!! That will learn me won't it - LOL Actually that will teach me - but I was trying to be funny but in just writing it down it didn't come out the same - LOL. I have had two Guinness tonight and feel fine. Won't have any more either - asked hubs to get me a four pack - just ONE - so that gives me two for tomorrow as well. Thank you so much Dizzy for doing so much thinking about me - it is so appreciated and it is one of the reasons I love this thread so much - we are all always here for each other.

You obviously have problems with the sugar too - I am not diabetic but know that I do have trouble with my sugar - I had not thought about the Guinness in relation to that. I am not sure if I will stay on the plan or not - I think I will just for Play. It really helped me to know she was with me. And it is good for me to do it anyway - I just need to change my mindset.

I did laugh when you said see how it made me feel when I drank - it gives me a buzz Dizzy!!!! How does it make you feel ??? ROTFLMBO !!!!!

I feel I should reply more to Dizzy - you have been so kind in replying to me - but there is so much more to reply to.....

Teez - How lovely that it is a lovely day there. I leave in tne morning when it is still dark here. Thank you for explaining decamped!! I have no idea how anyone else knew that! LOL.

Okay - I have been answering this over the past two hours..... there is so much to answer and hubs keeps calling me away.....

I need to get going - sorry everyone, love and hugs to you all,

sun XXX

Comment

Working...
                                X