• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here and starting Topa and with a question

Hello - testing. Seems I didn't log out the last time - not a good sign

Comment

Yay/ok!

So much to comment on here, real briefly: Space/Stuck - so sorry for your black periods going on. Don't know what good words to offer, except "hang in there" and we are here for you!

Teezah/Diz/PLay/Sun - yay for you!! I'm always so inspired and happy for those who are being successful managing this beast. More to Play & Sun in a few...I'm not good about "holla-ing" back to everyone, so sorry if I failed to comment on every recent post.

Like I've said, I am totally interested in the use of AB. Diz, you do it pretty regularly, right? Like a pill a day or what & how much? Sun & PLay what are your doseages? Where did you get what you got? You take 1 of whatever doseage you have on Sunday or Monday? Then let it go thru your system til Fri night or Sat?? I know this was just the first week, but what exactly did you do?

Sorry if I leave ppl out - it's sometimes too much to comment on everyone. Let me just say, I sympathize and appreciate the depression, money issues and the deep doo-doo of everyday life. Life can be soooooooooooooooo sucky, but it can also be soooooooooooooooooo good!! I sleep in HUGE on weekends - til 10-11 am; I LOVE it. Then I must get up and go do something. Walk a nearby park, run errands, plan a lovely weekend dinner with my bad self. Then I mostly over drink every Fri & Sat night. I hate it, but I love it. And I know I have health issues that will get worse as time wears on. I want to moderate. Have very little will-power unless something major is hanging over my head. Like now! Seeing WTE is a motivator, but not a huge one (lol) but next summer I am planning a trip to Puerto Rico to meet up w/ this younger man 12 yrs my junior, I've GOT to lose some weight, and have set up some IPL & botox treatments in the meantime!! UGH!!!

I'm thinking seriously of jumping onto the AB thing...but I have an alcoholic brain and cannot imagine giving it up altogether. My habit is bad, but not "so" bad. huh?? But I am also afraid of this drug. What if I swallow mouthwash? Other alcohol-based products...do they react?? Just a bit worried, but I can certainly stop on a dime if a vomit session is the punishment for having anything!! I would also LOVE an effortless weight loss!! So SERIOUSLY thinking of joining you both...tell me where you got it (River?) and what dose-age, etc.

Am going to see WTE in a few weeks so will save these thoughts and talk to her about it too. I'm sooooooooooooo looking forward to that visit!! Take care, all -

XO

Comment

Houtx - just order some 250mg Antabuse online from wherever Sun And Play got theirs from. I order mine from GoldPharma and its cheap but I'm not sure if they're good at delivering to the US as I've only had them deliver to SA and UK.

I take 300mg (but 250mg is fine for you) at Monday lunch time - just that once. Then I don't drink until Saturday afternoon. You won't swallow your mouth wash and perfume and pickles have never been an issue for me. In fact I get zero side effects except that I can't drink for 5 days a week and therefore I have more energy (when I'm not struggling with this diabetes pill) and I lose weight.

Your brain accepts it can't drink and you learn coping strategies for not drinking. You can also take the money you save and put it towards 'treats for the weekend.' Seeing as you're a teacher, you can do this Sunday to Thursday as well by popping the pill Sunday afternoon, then you can drink Friday and Saturday but it may be hard to find the resolve on a Sunday... Last thought, make sure you eat enough to maintain your blood sugar and Glutamine will also help with cravings. Be gentle with yourself the first week and reward yourself in other ways by taking it easy, resting a lot, etc.

You can go back and read about Play's first week, for her it was an easy, very positive experience and she lost 4 pounds! She too had lots of questions and anxieties and worries about cravings but in the end it was just as simple as in the 2 paragraphs above. One note: they only took half a pill so if its your first time so should you but I find 250/300mg is the perfect dose to last exactly 5 days. I know as I have had time to try and 'test' it towards the end of the cycle but as long as you're still scared of the pill go with what they're doing

:l

Comment

Hi all

Sun, I'm reading a lot but you can probably gain the most from Julia Ross' Mood Cure. It talks about hypoglycemia - in fact it says 95% of alcoholics are hypoglycemic. I have quoted some stuff from the book below - I think everyone here can gain from reading it.

I'm surprised by your breakfast - if I have that I will be feeling shaky and sick an hour later. Don't worry, I'm not nagging you, its just an observation. Have you ever considered doing a food intolerance test - you can do it via the mail - I did it a couple of years ago to rule out food allergies.

What I meant is how the alcohol makes you feel is, there are different kinds of buzzes. I sometimes drink to boost my energy, or because I'm depressed, sometimes to help calm me down, or help me forget. There are a number of different reasons other than 'it gives me a buzz' LOL.

The bad news is all these books say that the only way we can control Insulin Resistance/ Hypoglycemia and even stand a better chance of being AF is by eating a low GL diet which means no sugar or white starches. I follow it now but I allow myself to have some AL on weekends and two cheat meals per week, because I want this to be a change for life rather than a diet.

OK, here's what the Mood Cure says about sugary and starchy meals:

"What's the problem with high-carb "meals"? If you consume these food bombs with plenty of real foods like eggs, they land more softly. If not, within seconds your body is highly stressed trying to neutralize their destructive impact. First, it sends out adrenaline, intended to cope with real stresses like a mugging or a divorce. That sends your endorphin levels up (which makes you feel good). Then your insulin levels go up (that's what puts you at risk of becoming diabetic). Most of the sugar and starch, after almost instantly converting into a system-shocking mass of glucose, is moved hastily out of your bloodstream and into your muscles by insulin, where it's converted into fat for storage.

Then your blood sugar drops to an alarmingly low level (that's when you become hypoglycemic and can get grouchy, headachy, or weepy). Finally, your most vital stress-coping chemical, cortisol, is rushed in to release emergency blood sugar stores to keep you from going into a come. This blood sugar-regulating maneuver is extremely costly. It's a procedure that should be performed infrequently, in emergencies. It's like having a five-alarm fire drill three or four times a day."

It also says this about alcoholism, hypoglycemia and glutamine (so everyone else also listen up)

"Another of the primary reasons people get addicted to alcohol is that their blood sugar levels tend to drop too low, too often. Over 95 percent of alcoholics are hypoglycemic. When they experience a drop in blood sugar, the code red "get a drink" signal turns on as the brain begins to fail from lack of fuel. No amount of will power alone can turn it off. Reversing hypoglycemia is a vital job if you're going successfully to escape alcoholism.

Alcohol acts just like sugar biochemically, only more so. It contains more calories per gram, and it gets into your bloodstream faster. For people whose blood sugar levels tend to be low, this can be irresistible. Fortunately, your brain can also burn the amino acid glutamine for instant relief, but instead of causing addiction, glutatime is actually good for you. We recommend alcoholics take glutamine between meals to keep their blood sugar stable (and their cravings at bay) throughout the day and evening."

She also says Chromium can really help with stabilizing blood sugar and Zinc can help us regain a healthy appetite. She says these two are often depleted in alcoholics.

Teezah
          - Wow, that's a lot of work and stress for someone still coping with the flu. I take my hat off

Space
          - Sorry about the car and all the money involved, fingers crossed it will run like a dream from now on. How is the breakfast experiment going? I thought your message to Sun was very caring by the way I mean, that's why we are here, to hold each other accountable and give our honest opinions.

I've got to work

Comment

I hope what I said didnt upset you Sun, I just care about you and want to help even if I do go putting my big clodhopping boots in it sometimes x. I do think Dizzy may really be onto something regarding your food tho, as I said I have never heard of anyone being affected by food the way you are, if I eat too much I just feel sick and get stomach pains and I think that is what happens to most people but you do get a totally different reaction, I have heard you mention your coma sandwhich before but that doesnt even seem to be a lot, its just a normal lunch really a cheese and bacon sandwich isnt it? It would really be worth looking into. Something else I have just thought of tho going along those lines is when you didnt have the guiness last week did you eat anything of the evening instead, what I mean is if you normally have guiness of an evening thereby boosting your blood sugar and everything else that goes with it but then stopped the guiness and had nothing that could be the reason for the change in the way you feel. Whatever it is tho know Im with you all the way.

Play I hope you have a wonderful week with your family, it sounds so exiting.

Houxt you sound like you will look like a total gorgeuos woman when you meet your guy, I hope hes worth it. Im exited for you as well that your looking into the AB weekday method, I know that you have mentioned before your health concerns about your drinking.

I havent started the breakfast thing yet Dizz, I am not really able to feel possitive about anything right now, yesterday we found out that my eldest sons benifit money is being stopped so theres another knock down for me to deal with, I feel like Im getting it from all sides right now and am really struggling. I really feel like I shouldnt say this on here but I always thought that once I had sorted my drinking problem things would start going well for me and my life would be easier but instead the opposite seems to have happened, I feel like shit and my life is a mess. I dont want to drink tho so Ive just got to carry on, the car is now out of my hands, it is getting picked up today so Im just not thinking about it its up to the mechanic now and Im keeping my fingers crossed thats all thats up with it, either way theres nothing I can do. Today I have to get back onto the social and try to sort this out again, they did this to him last year as well so that is pretty much all I can think of right now, he is not even able to deal with them on the phone and yet they insist on him doing so and then start asking him questions he cant answer, its a f*cking nightmare.

Comment

Morning everyone -

Space, I too thought your post was lovely - I laughed with you (the next morning) about the ice cream - so no worries there! I know that everyone here is caring and only means the best. and took your post in the way in which it was intended.

Diz - thank you so much for going to the bother of typing out stuff from the books - that was so sweet of you and makes a lot of sense. the only thing I find strange with me and my eating habits is that I don't eat breakfast and am fine until I start eating - which makes no sense at all to me. I have always had blood sugar issues and when I was pregnant my blood sugar went up enough that had I NOT had BS issues, I would have gone diabetic in my pregnancy. Many years ago, I had to follow a very strict diet to keep it all even - but after the pregnancy it seemed to change.

I will start taking the L-glut again as that seems as if it might help. I also knew about the chromium helping too but just didn't take it but have some. I had my two Guinness last night and slept well and am up with the larks this morning all bright eyed and bushy tailed again. Just not sure I can keep it to 2 - maybe with the l-glut I can.

Other than saying 'it gives me a buzz', there is no more - I just love that feeling with the first one - I suppose it just takes the edge off - although the edge off what I am not sure...... I will try and watch and see if I can notice any more. Oh - I am pretty certain we have The Mood Cure at work so will pick it up today.

I agree with AL affecting one immediately - and when I used to work late, didn't even think about it - but then would be snacking. Hmmm, food for thought me thinks.

I don't understand why my coma sandwich does what it does to me - it is whole grain bread, cheese, veggie bacon (protein) - but it knocks me for 6. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat 'cos of what it does to me. the ice cream I totally understood !!! LOL

Houtx
              - I think the Ab would really work well for you. the hardest part for me was finding something to do when I came home - you have to have a plan !! Just KNOWING you cannot touch AL takes away that option. I was quite careful after the Branston pickle sandwich about what I did eat and also didn't use my perfume either as the pickle seemed to affect me - but it was only two hours after I had popped the tab.

We took a half of a 250mg tab on Monday morning. Which meant we could drink on the saturday. I was absolutely fine with it and so was Play. I had some AB already from someone and then Play has ordered us some more from River. I would certainly give it a try.

Well, I need to get ready for work..... have a wonderful day everyone. It is SO cold here today !!

hugs, sun XX
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Cross post Space - after I had posted mine I saw you had posted! As I said, no you did not upset me at all - I laughed !! I know you are with me and that you care. I will have to think about the eating and not drinking - I did eat more last week in the evenings......

I am so sorry about them stopping your sons money again - I remember it from last year too and thought it was all sorted - they just don't seem to understand !! I do hope that you can get it sorted out again - I know how hard it is for him (and you).

Gosh - it IS coming at you from all sides isn't it? Good for you not drinking even with all of this - you are doing amazingly my friend. I am glad the car isn't too terribly expensive to fix and that you are managing to have it done.

Got to go - love and hugs :l:h

Sun XX
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

sunshinedaisies;1465407 wrote: Cross post Space - after I had posted mine I saw you had posted! As I said, no you did not upset me at all - I laughed !! I know you are with me and that you care. I will have to think about the eating and not drinking - I did eat more last week in the evenings......

I am so sorry about them stopping your sons money again - I remember it from last year too and thought it was all sorted - they just don't seem to understand !! I do hope that you can get it sorted out again - I know how hard it is for him (and you).

Gosh - it IS coming at you from all sides isn't it? Good for you not drinking even with all of this - you are doing amazingly my friend. I am glad the car isn't too terribly expensive to fix and that you are managing to have it done.

Got to go - love and hugs :l:h

Sun XX
                  Ok all - thx for the advice. Will think it over and come back on for further advice when needed
                  Love you all!
                  XO

Comment

Hi everyone,
                    I'm tied up with family stuff right now, my daughter has come from Spain (without the kids) for a 5day trip to do some business stuff and meet her sisters "fianc?", they are pretty close. I want to write a ton and respond to everyone but just too tired tonight. I will have Thursday to myself and will try to catch up then.

But Houtx, in short and more later, yes we are taking a pill on Monday and waiting until Saturday for the weekend off so far I love it, should have done it ages ago. Sun might have some kind of a reaction to eating pickles but I have been eating my favorite thing, pickled beets also soaked in apple cider vinegar, with no problem. I have read that it actually takes about one drink to react, perhaps a bit less for some people. I ordered ours from River and it comes in 200 mg pills.

Well, love to you all and much Peace,
                    Play

Comment

Hi all

I suppose we're a bit more quiet with Ally's dad being here and Play's daughter visiting. Wish WTE would pop in again

I'm so sorry for the bad time you're going through Space and I know exactly what you mean. When I quit drinking after rehab I expected everything to immediately be 'better' and I even told my sponsor that at the time and I remember her also telling me that she felt the same. The thing is we drink to help us feel better and to help us cope and hide from stuff but when we stop the stuff is still there. In theory we should be stronger so when we feel sick like you do now and I do because of the diabetes meds we just feel like its not fair.

I do find myself overdrinking on Sundays and then regretting it on Mondays and looking forward to the other mornings in the weeks where I can wake up hangover free even though I'm not full of energy. The alcohol is a temporary escape and although it makes me feel good it sure makes me feel crap the next day.

I just wanted to say I hope you get your son's benefits sorted out. I didn't realise he was ill until you mentioned it a while back. Does he stay home with you - how does he spend his time? Just trying to get an idea of your situation as I actually thought he lived separately?

At least it will soon be Spring and then all the daffodils will come up as well as the cherry blossoms. I do find that it cheers me up when I'm in the UK, as well as the longer days, not sure about you. My flight is planned for the 12th of March.

Sun
                      , I think you should have some L-Glut an hour before you leave work to stabilise your blood sugar before you get home. Perhaps that should curb your more than two habit? I think in general just ensure you eat enough protein, not a lot of sugar, and if you're worried further you can do some intolerance tests. The coma sandwich for instance doesnt make sense as its a good GL combination of protein and complex carbs so it shouldnt make you sleepy.

I'm working on my visa application today - just going near it sends me into a state of frenzy but it has to be done sometime.

Hugs to all,

Comment

Oh and Play, enjoy your family's visit! It's not everyday they come to you How do you find the drinking this week?
                        I didn't know you had a daughter that lived closer by. And why do you call him her "fiance"? LOL

Comment

Hi everyone - well, what a night last night - we had a power cut darn it !! Power went off around 7.00 and it was pitch dark !! So, I went to bed early and read by candlelight. Made for a short evening although I did actually get my ironing finished before the power went off. I have no idea what time it came back on - my alarm is a wind up one so I had no problems there.

Anyway - yes dizzy - the only thing I can come up with regarding the sandwich that puts me to sleep is 'cos of the fat in it. I eat very low fat most of the time so for me, that is a lot all at once. But it is so yummy !! LOL

Anyway - I shall take your advice and have some L-Glut before I leave work today.

Poor you with the Visa thing - I hate having to do anything like that - it is always such a hassle. Can't you just copy it from last time?

Talking of bulbs coming up - all the bulbs in my garden are about 4" high - and then tomorrow we are expecting ice pellets - about 4" worth ! Ye gads !! if it goes slightly below us it will be snow, slightly above us and it will be ice - nice. We are right on the line.

Play - so glad your daughter made it in okay and you are enjoying your time with her - how lovely for you. And that she gets to meet your other daughters fiance too.

Dizzy - one question - if you overdrink on Sunday - don't you worry about taking the AB on Monday? or is it as long as it is 12 hours since your last drink that it is okay?

Anyway - off to get ready for work -am LOVING my new hours and my new job !!

hugs, sun XX

Comment

Hi

Ive nothing much to say today just waiting for the garage to phone about my car.

Dizzy dont you have the word fiance? it means the person you are engaged to. I have been watching some programs on tv lately about South Africa, it looks like such an amazing place. I envy you coming from there it is just so vast with so much wonderful wildlife, thats not even mentioning the sunshine.

I am glad you are enjoying work so much Sun, was the electricity on when you got up this morning. I am not at all organised for that happening, I do have candles and a torch but dont know where they are so Id have no chance of finding them in the dark, I should go and look for them and put them in a good place. I dont know what you mean about ice pellets are they like hailstones? do you live on a mountain.

Hope everyone has a good day x

Comment

Yeah Sun, I remember learning in Home Economics that melted cheese is probably the most difficult thing your body has to digest ever? Pizza makes me sleepy. Or it could just be the fat.

I hope your dear little plants are going to be OK!

I can't just copy the visa, they want to know all about my current circumstances, bank statements, why I want to go again, proof that I'm coming back, I have to buy the tickets, sort travel insurance, get people to write letters for me, that kind of jazz. And then the underlying stress of what to do if they say no.

Last time before I went I had to change my plane ticket as the funds my bf sent was halted by his bank so the ticket was canceled and we needed a new one. The new ticket was for longer so the customs official was not happy and I was thinking he was about to deport me for all the questions he asked when I got to Heathrow and he said because I 'lied about my plane ticket' I may have lied about everything else on my visa application and he was going to make a note on my record to let them know my ticket changed and that this may cause me trouble next time I applied.

But everyone I asked said before the flight said its a standard 6 month visa and you only show them your ticket as a sign of good faith. AND there was no follow up number or email to contact them on to tell them that I had to change my ticket. So now I don't know if I should hope that the guy was just having a bad morning and said nothing or whether I should explain myself and make a note of this on my application. Both options can have possible positive and possible negative implications.

Space
                              , of course I know what a fiance is I was wondering why play was using the word in quotation marks. South Africa and especially Cape Town where I'm from is brilliant, especially this time of year with all the sunshine and jollity. Such a pity with the bad press about the Oscar Pistorius paralympic athlete guy who shot his girlfriend though. It seems its all anyone talk about these days.

Comment

Hi all - just a pop in and a pop out. Everything fine here if still a bit on the blah side rather than the peppy side. Went for a wander around the shops yesterday and was in Next (fashion shop in the UK) and they are selling these purses Dizz! You'll have to get one when you hit the UK!

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2059160=7423-attachment.jpg[/img]
                                Teezah

Comment

Working...
                                X