New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK - my mum once said to me (we were sitting in a restaurant/cafe), after I had made a derogatory comment about my looks - "WHO in here would you rather look like?" I looked around - and there was NO-ONE ! As I get older and more wrinkly and - well just OLD, I realise that it doesn't matter what we look like ! I was only in my 20's when my mum asked me that and even though I didn't like my looks- there was no-one else that I would have chosen to look like ! I have seen your picture - I think you are pretty - for what MY opinion is worth! I think it really is what is inside that shines out from us - no matter what we look like. So, please stop worrying about your looks - when you are my age, you will be grateful for looking the way that you do now !!

Yes, I am comfortable with who I am - after all, I can't be anyone else !! I love me and know that I am a good person - which is the most important thing, I think. YOU are a lovely person - and that is what counts! Looks do not matter - truly !! It is what we have inside - and that is what has made me the person I am today.

Regarding the drinking .... I talked with my therapist yesterday and had a wonderful appt., but we talked about the drinking - and any step forward is good - I think it is great that you are aware of it and trying .... it took a long time for us to get where we are - so it is like I think dieting must be - don't expect overnight miracles ! I feel with me that it is one step forward and two steps back sometimes. But I have Faith that I will get there in the end.

Houtx - so sorry about the scottish chap ...... but you sound as if you are better off without him.

Dizzy - your Max sounds wonderful - we have a Max too - gave birth to him 18 years ago! (well I didn't personally - LOL - but we had his mum). Your Max sounds lovely, but it would be one heck of a journey for him !!!! I had Winston, whom we had from 3 months old and he would go under my daughters bed whenever I went to UK - only coming out for food and the lit tray - then when I got home, he would sit with his back to me !!! When I had chemo, and was bald, he would sleep on my head - after all, I had lost my 'fur' and needed to be kept warm - he was MY cat !! Lived til he was 18 ..... and I was devastated, but it wasn't fair to him to keep him alive. You could get another cat - it wouldn't be the same - but I think the having of a pet is very good for us emotionally. There are SO many at the animal shelters!

Oh - re the Vitamin D - every time I go for my cancer check up they check my Vit D and I am always around 23-25 - TOO LOW ! I try to remember to take one each week - but always forget - my oncologist suggested ONE 50,000 IU tab once a week. he gave me an RX but I get them on-line as it is cheaper.

Meggie - I will Pm you about my job as I don't want to put it out here where everyone and anyone can see it !! Most of the folk on here know what I do, but will PM you....

Have to go and feed the dogs - it is 5.00 and they are all sitting here staring at me - LOL

love and hugs, Sun XXX
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sun- that is AWESOME that your mum said that. Really puts things into perspective. I really do not worry about looks that much. I just sometimes have a bad day. I cut all my hair off and dyed in brown so it was a little shocking for me. HA! I still look hot for almost 45 yrs. :happy:HA! I have put on a bit of weight and my 15 yr. old. told me big butts are in style.:yes2: I love that kid. Plus the husband loves me no matter what I look like. He is really the only one I like to impress once in awhile. He is adorable so I like to match him. At least I am not in these yet...:grannypants: :H

I like the relation between drinking and dieting. It is a good way to look at it. Sometimes when my dark cloud is looming over me I get really down but then I come here and talk with people and realize I am just normal as the rest of you.

Dizzy- I am sorry I did not read more carefully. I am sorry your fur friend isnt with you. That stinks. Maybe like Sun said... a visit to the rescue is in order. I hope you are doing well.

I am having a good day. Excited for a Xmas party sorta... I am anxious to see where I land because my craving to drink isnt really there. It always seems to creep up in the afternoons. booooooooo

I am looking forward to fixing myself up and seeing what my new hair looks like with some make up.
      Good day to all.:rockon:
      XO

Comment

Hi there from snowy here ..... LOL. I have already been out running errands and am back in for the day now. The roads were not too bad - they are pretty good at clearing them. The dogs love the snow and it is such a treat to watch them play in it. They are all flaked out now - exhausted !!

BK - YOU cut your hair off? Go you !! Can you send me a pic of the 'new you' ? I would love to see it !

I love that you and your hubs have such a great relationship - it is rare these days. I too am very lucky with my hubs - I cannot imagine my life without him.

I laughed at you being as normal as the rest of us - I sometimes wonder 'what is normal?' but then laugh it off - it matters not as long as I am happy - right ?

WHO are you to mock granny panties? ROTFLMBO !!! Actually I cannot imagine wearing those ..... even though I am a granny !

How did your Xmas party go - and the drinking ? Please let us know .....

Hope everyone else is doing well - come and post !

love and hugs,

sun XXX
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Morning everyone ...... gosh it echoes in here ........

Hugs, sun XX

Comment

Okay ..... WHERE is everyone ??

hugs, sun XX

Comment

Maybe everyone is busy shopping or getting ready for the holidays. Very strange and quiet here.

Comment

:wavin:Good morning-

I'm lurking around. I think everyone is preoccupied with holiday stuff.

I am hoping all are finding support in the holidays and feeling loved:threekisses:

I am cruising along. Some family drama popped up but I didn't feel like climbing in the bottle yet. As the holidays creep closer I am feeling my usual stress. My husband's family plans all their activities that I will not be participating in .
                I wonder if I'm jealous of the fact that my family is so torn apart that we no longer communicate. His family wasn't very accepting of me when we got married & plain wasn't very nice to me at times and now I have hardened my heart toward them.
                After 15 years of marriage they gave decided that I'm ok I guess. His Italian grandmother was such a stinker to me to put it mildly & now that she is getting old she is nice to me. WTF!

My husband think I should just bury my feelings because they have changed up their ways and accept them. I just don't work that fast or like that. I have something inside me that once I get close to someone and they hurt me- that is it. I'm done no second chances.
                I am entitled to my feelings but sometimes I think it would do me good to be able to let go of some of the hurt feelings I harbor. My husband said I wear my feelings on my sleeve- he had a lot to drink but it still made me think- do I?
                It's interesting talking to my husband when he is drunk & I am sober. Drunk people say what they mean I feel - sort of a truth serum. I don't want to take on all his words because I don't believe he knows everything he is talking about. I think he likes to call me out once in a while because I often do it to him. Marriage- adore him one day & want to scratch his eyes out the next. We are still growing as a couple.:durn:

I woke up and started thinking about drinking- not this am but wondering if I will drink tonight? I am doubting it. I haven't drank since Friday in which I control drank and stayed at about 6 drinks unheard of for me. Makes me happy. I am loving the Nal.:wave:
                I am feeling like less of a slave to the bottle and it is liberating. I feel I can drink but I don't have to get snot slinging drunk to enjoy my evening- what a concept.

Be checking in- I like to stay close the boards as it provides security & comfort.:l

Comment

Hi there - just a swift post - BK - SO sorry about your uncle. My thoughts are with you and your family - it must be really hard for your mum/dad - I don't know whose brother he was. I have never lost a brother or sister but cannot imagine it .....

Just hang in there okay? We are here for you.

Also - sorry about your hubs family feeling that way - but you are showing them that you are a wonderful person - 15 years of marriage is not to be sniffed at. You obviously have a good one.

I have e-mailed you about the rest of it - which you know but didn't want folk reading, to think I am ignoring it !!

Love and hugs to you,

sun XX

Comment

Hi all!!

I am posting what I posted on another thread here because it's an update to how I am.

Hi Sun- thanks for always being here. I have been low that past couple days.
                    Trying to evaluate my feelings so I don't slip to far down.

I have drank the past 2 days
                    Tuesday night I had approximately 10 and last night-Wednesday 7-8. Diligently taking my Nal and I haven't been getting drunk per say. It's progress I think.
                    Something disturbed the positive feelings I was feeling toward my journey with alcohol. Maybe the death of my uncle bothered me enough to make me feel like I am regressing a little. That kind of feeling of slipping back into that dark black hole I was starting to climb out of. This doesn't feel very good. I find myself beating myself up and thinking "you are so weak you can't let a death bother you and ruin what you have been striving to do." That is not healthy self talk... This is... "It's a sad thing that happen, it's ok to feel sad". Take time to feel my emotions and let them be.
                    I am a master at the "got my shit together facade" but on the inside I struggle tremendously & struggle to reach out to those that love me when I need them. I come here where it is safe because I have tag name to hide behind. I have got to open up and let people love me.
                    I went out to dinner with a friend of mine last night & put my "totally got my shit together" face on. We talk about life and things and I can feel I have my game face on. I am not going to tear up or show that I am bothered. I am trying to be more expressive thru email & text although I know it isn't as personal as a phone call or face to face but it's a start to letting my guard down. I have plans to meet another friend of mine tonight for dinner but I am thinking I will cancel- I want to be home with my family but I will be honest I do feel like drinking- right now. I haven't taken my Nal yet and sometimes I think maybe I should put off taking it because I won't drink if I don't take it because I don't feel safe without- so just maybe I wouldn't drink if I didn't take it. I don't trust myself very much and will probably end up taking it soon.
                    My husband and I have been working hard on our relationship. It's been going good but I am starting to revert back to some old insecurities just very recently that I don't quite understand.

Wishing all a wonderful holiday:coolsanta:

Comment

Hi there Bk - I feel bad for not responding to your post - where is everyone else ?? I am absolutely shattered ! Did an 11 hour day and it was a very heavy day ! I am too tired to even think straight. Came home and sank down on the sofa with a Guinness - then showered and am off to bed now. Too tired to post properly - I am SO sorry !! I will reply in the AM.

Love and hugs, Sun XXX

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry about your bad patch BK :l Thinking of you.

Life just throws shit at as, for instance I fell down the stairs two days ago. Wasn't drunk just running and think I've torn a ligament in my calf. Everyone that sees our steep and softly carpeted stairs call it a death trap, the only downside to the house. I can walk when I HAVE to but leg is really sore and most of you married ladies knows it's not the same when you can't function. Because of his working long hours (and a leaving do tonight!!) The kitchen is an utter mess and despite the fact I haven't eaten he only managed dinner at 9:30.

I don't know where everyone is, Sun. Does anyone have Space's phone number? If you or Play does could you maybe call? I have a bad feeling but am shattered with pain right now.

Grr have to face a shower laundry tomorrow, hope I can make it. I'd say today but if I slip in the shower, it's hospital time, and I can't carry anything downstairs (just me on my bum)

Love and hugs to all.

:l:l:l

Comment

Good morning to everyone.

Dizzy - so good to hear from you and SO sorry about your leg - how painful for you. I hope it feels better soon. No, I don't have a phone number for Space - she did give it to me a long time ago but I didn't write it down - it was in a PM and I have long deleted it. I have a skype number for her but that won't help. I agree that is doesn't feel good but I am sure she will be back sometime. I do have her address though if you want that .....

BK - I am sorry you are feeling so low. I am sure your uncles death is contributing to that - you need to process those feelings. Then move foward again. You will get that feeling back - about being positive I mean. Baby steps. I don't understand the relationship with Nal .... you said if you don't take it, you won't drink? Or did I misunderstand? I thought the Nal was helping, but we can drink over anything.

I wish that you could talk to your friends about how you are feeling - although I totally understand the face that you put on. I think we all do that to some extent. But do you not have one friend that you can let your guard down to, and talk to?

I have to get going to work - another long day today. Thinking of you all -

hugs, Sun XX

Comment

Hi Dizzy- good to hear from you!!! Sorry you hurt yourself tho. Dang it. What are you doing for the holiday?

Sun- wonderful you. I did say that I will not drink if I don't take Nal. UK kinda gave me a swat so to speak about being very diligent in taking the Nal when you do drink because you can regress very quickly if you drink and don't take the Nal. Does that make sense kinda. So I am making a very solid commitment to stay on track. I drank last night about 10 drinks. It's such a dang battle.
                            I know I need some AF days but don't feel like taking them. If I could just get my numbers around 4-6 drinks per session I would feel a lot better. I am thinking of raising my dosage of Nal.
                            I haven't been exercising either.. Haven't done a thing for 3 days. I need to go for a run. But I am in this place where I think I just feel like letting myself have this week of frivolous behavior and then hopefully after Xmas I will feel like I got it out if my system and will be ready to get back on track.
                            The only scary thing is I don't want to keep going either... Know what I mean.
                            I don't like feeling chubby so I think that will be enough to turn back to the good path.

Take care of you- sounds like you are working ALOT!

I need to clean my mess of a basement so off I go.

Much love to all of you.

Comment

Hi there - I just saw a post about Lloop passing away - I am totally gobsmacked. He was SO young ! He was really great here helping people - I feel so for him and his family. Wow - I am still sort of shaken. It just seems unreal.

Anyway ! BK - I laughed at you thinking I had given you a swat! It was NOT intended that way - really! But I understand what you mean (I think) and YES, it is a battle isn't it? I was down to 2 drinks a day for SO long - I mean maybe a year or two - and then slowly started going up again so I really do understand where you are coming from. I am on too many a night right now - not 10, no, but too many for me.

I do not know how Nal works - does it help if you raise your dose? When the Topa kicked in for me, I remember being cross about it - because then I didn't want to drink - my body said no, but my mind said yes - obviously my body won out ! Maybe it is similar with you and the Nal - you don't want it to work ?? Once I accepted that I did NOT want to drink (the body if not the mind), then I was fine.

Okay - maybe let yourself have this week - with your uncle and all - then start again in ernest next week ! As long as it isn't an excuse - not that I am anyone to talk! I am hardly one to give advice.

Go for a run - do what you need to do - get your head in order ! This is such a hard time of year anyway.

Off to get ready for bed - had a long week and very hard days - but feel good.

Hugs, Sun XX

Comment

Oh Sun I meant UK Blonde for Uk not you... To funny

I'm am so sorry to here about LoOp-

I am feeling better and better- only had 1 beer tonight and am working on a glass of wine but am not in the mood to drink heavily. Baby steps.

Comment

Working...
                                X