New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy new year meggie - hope this year is better than last for you !!!

hugs, sun XX
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sending everyone best wishes and hoping we all have a good happy year.

space x

Comment

Isn't it great that we get a fresh start every January? What's past is gone, and the future only comes one moment at a time. So hey that doesn't seem so hard then...only one moment at a time for what we want to achieve.
        JMum
        My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Good Morning from a very snowy here !! It is very cold too but the dogs are loving it !! With their penchant for eating poop, it is good when it snows as it is easier to find and pick up before they can eat it - LOL

Yes Jazi - a new start is always good - how is the Bac going so far? How are you feeling with it?

Hugs to all ..... love, sun XX
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Morning everyone, and sunshinedaisies the bac is fine. I took an increased bedtime dose of 10mg (very small compared to some as they up-tick!) and slept like a log. Quite dippy this morning but it's pleasant. So today up-tick again but slowly. No AF days yet but I'm not going to obsess over that.

Happy day to all. JMum
            My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

I am reading Living Sober, has anyone else read it? I appear to be following all of his steps. Except not drinking. It is so speaking to my search for a spiritual self. The only thing is that it says I need to have someone who will be a sponsor, someone to call when I want that drink. I don't want to go to meetings, but I would like a friend to help get me through those times.

Comment

Hi Jazzi don't forget to go slow with the bac, I rushed it twice and messed it up for myself both times by doing it. Do you think it helped you sleep, I have been having very broken sleep for a while now and wonder if bac may help. I have some my gp gave me for pain I will give it a go tonight then.

meggie why don't you want to go to aa meetings, I hate it but actually liked the getting out and being with other people just couldn't stand the programme and other stuff there. Why don't you try a meeting if you like the programme?

xx

Comment

Morning everyone!

Space - I hope you are doing okay with the flooding and storms that you are having over there ! the weather is the pits here right now - bitterly cold - 4 degrees which is about minus 15 Centigrade I think! And this weekend is going down to minus 22 Centigrade! Just wicked cold !!

Meggie - do you not have a friend whom you can call? Or, as Space says, have you thought about AA? They are not for me personally but many people find them really good. I have not read the book "Living Sober' but will take a look at it ....

Jazi - hope that you are doing okay with the Bac - I didn't know it was for sleep too. Or is that a SE ?

off into the cold ..... have a great day everyone,

hugs, sun XX

Comment

Not comfortable with AA, don't know why, but I am not. The book is interesting because it states that we have a disease, just like diabetes. It also explains what is going on in our brain and the whole issue of alcohol on the brain. I have done some research on Bac and would like to know how and if it works.

Comment

meggie;1607364 wrote: I have done some research on Bac and would like to know how and if it works.
                      This should convince you and your doctor that High Dose Baclofen is a very good way to treat alcoholism:-

Suppression of Alcohol Dependence Using Baclofen: A 2-Year Observational Study of 100 Patients

Open your own thread here indicating your doubts and ask for advice.

Comment

meggie;1607364 wrote: I have done some research on Bac and would like to know how and if it works.
                        You don't need to read all the paper, just the conclusions:-

Conclusion: Baclofen produces an effortless decrease or suppression of alcohol craving when it is prescribed with no superior limit of dose. Potential limitations in the effectiveness of baclofen include the coexistence of a mental disorder, the concomitant use of other psychotropic drugs, a lack of real motivation in patients to stop drinking, and the impossibility to reach the optimal dose of baclofen because of unbearable side-effects (sometimes possibly related to too sharp a protocol of dose escalation).

Comment

Hi All~

just popping in to say a quick hi!

Meggie~ I could not resonate with AA at all and the group meetings were torture for me. Everyone telling lengthy stories about their lives. No real counseling per say. I use drinking as a coping mechanism and I have to understand or find ways to deal with what bothers me and not drowned it in a sea of alcohol. I tried to attend a AL NON meeting as well because my parents are addicts and it almost felt creepy and I ran out crying. I am just talking about my experience not judging the system.

Sun~ how are you? Wonderful as ever!

I'm on my 3 day of AF.... Yippee.

Comment

If that all goes well your doctor will need to know how to proceed. Here is what he needs to know:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59463672/Prescribing-Guide-for-Baclofen-in-the-Treatment-of-Alcoholism-Don.pdf

Good luck.

Comment

thanks Colin, very helpful links.
                              JMum

Comment

Hey all - Happy New Year~
                                Meggie, Colin, Jazi - I was just reading the BAC thread that Dr. A fell off the wagon. Everyone concurs it doesn't really matter. He's a mere mortal after all. Dr Levin still seems to be giving lots of personal attention & that's so cool, IMO. I spoke with him also years ago when I tried BAC. The SEs were too serious for me to continue, but still sounds like lots of ppl have found success. I wish you all well!!
                                s.
                                DZ - you have been sick too long! Hope you're up & about soon. The weather world-wide has been crazy cold. It's colder here in Houston the last few days than in Montana! And another freezing cold front coming again over the next few days. YAY - just in time for back to school!

Space/Sunny/BK Yoga - Space, glad you are back! Sunny, hope you continue to keep us posted. Love your posts about everyday life where you are. I bought some ginger root today - saw a recipe for a good tea to ward off colds. Thought you probably know about it already! BKY - AF days?? awesome for you & congrats. I could only go to a few AA mtgs before I felt out of place. But it did help - I still think "one day at a time" is their best key point! lol

Happy New Year! I'm doing ok - resolutions to again, try something new, be committed, cut back & hopefully drop a few LBs!! I better post this before I hit a random key and lose it! LOL

XO

Comment

Working...
                                X