No announcement yet.

New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to hear from the both of you. I don't know if the holiday did everyone in. I know my taper idea was destroyed with the holidays and the stress. I know, excuses. So back to being good. It is better now that I am back to work. I think being on a schedule will help. I don't know about anyone else but this weather going from 60 to a freezing 20. The windchill might go down to -30 on Thursday.
    Stuck, be good and get back on the band wagon. You are able to do it well. Getting back to work might help you also. I can't believe you can drink whiskey in your coffee. I drink at night and that is bad enough. Good luck to you all. Diz, you are lucky you can take the AB.

Comment

Hi everyone

I've been OK and have been applying for jobs again, so hopefully something will bite soon. I guess I have a bit of January blues as I'm not used to this cold state of what almost feels like permanent darkness. The sun does shine between 9 and 4 but almost everyday is overcast, and we are lucky if we see any sun.

I just got a new laptop that will help me with updating my posts if there is anybody here to talk to

Stuck, I did find that the anxiety did quit about 24 hours after I quit the booze. Like you, I like to use sedatives to taper off and stop but I'm no longer getting any so I just have to make use of what I have. I was really scared of stopping this time but Antabuse does help with the switch in my head and just helps me chill out instead of constantly wondering whether I should have *another* drink to help with the anxiety that was caused by booze in the first place.

Hey Meggie, why cant you take AB? My supplier is currently out of stock but they said that they should get in in again in a month or so. Thank goodness for that as I was worrying that they may make this 'prescription only' as with sedatives and sleeping pills. I hear you about the cold weather, I think I'm over winter!

Sun and Space, you've been quiet. I hope you're both well.

Hugs,
      Dx

Comment

So good to hear from you and happy that you are off the booze. I am afraid of the AB because I am afraid I would drink over it. The weather is rather depressing here. Snow, cold, snow. I wonder where everyone is. I don't think space has been around for about a year.

Comment

I've had one or two drinks over Antabuse before and trust me, anyone will stop at that point. You become flushed and get a headache, your tummy will feel upset. None of the relaxing boozy effects but the nasty feelings go away after an hour or so. Then you realise you can't drink over it and actually start to relax and shut off that nasty 'should I or shouldn't I have a drink' little devil.

Nothing drastic will happen unless you down a bottle of wine in half an hour. Quite a few people here has had success with it and I must say that it's the only thing that really works for me, especially during the first week and at weekends.

Space did check in in December but has gone quiet again, and Houtx has not been here for quite a while, I hope she's alright.

Comment

Hey, Dizzy reading the newbie thread trying to get a handle on this drinking. I don't want to stop for one day. Read a lot on the thread and read about how drinking affects you r bloodwork. You are so young and have so much to look forward to, don't wrap yourself in this drug.

Comment

Sheep, things are dead around here. I'm sick in bed with a migraine for more than 24 hours and although I can get some food back in my system by now, this is horrible and unusual.

I usually get it less than once a year though, after having it 2-3 times when I was much younger. A pill with codeine usually work to stop it in its tracks. But I've had 5 Syndols in 28 hours (lost 2 to vomit) and it's still here.

In the past I would get migraines when my body was stressed out or nearly historical over something out of control. I'm feeling quite calm despite STILL looking for a job and now doing job hunting.

Does anybody have any migraine advice? Like I said the vomiting have stopped but the headache is still causing stabbing pain and my eyes are very sensitive to light. And no, I'm not hungover.

Comment

Hi there Dizzy - SO sorry that you have a migraine - I am sorry but I have no idea whatsoever to do with that as I have never had one - I used to get the aura but never got the actual headache - it must be miserable for you and all I can suggest is the dark room and rest ..... I hope you get to feeling better soon.

I also am sorry that I have not been posting - I just backed off from all of it really - I need to try and get me sorted - as usual! I was taking the AB which worked for the day that I took it but unless I took it early in the day when my resolve was still high, I ended up drinking - as I could only take 1/8 of a tab, I had to take it daily and if I took more than that it upset my tummy.

I have started on Naltrexone - I read a book by Eskapa about Alcoholism and it has given me hopes that Nal might be the answer for me. I have been on it for a week so far and am not sure yet - but it is early days. Did you ever try it ?

I have to get ready for work - I really hope that you get to feeling better soon, Hugs, Sun XX
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinedaisies View Post
                  I have started on Naltrexone - I read a book by Eskapa about Alcoholism and it has given me hopes that Nal might be the answer for me. I have been on it for a week so far and am not sure yet - but it is early days. Did you ever try it ?
                  hi SSD,

I'm doing TSM at the moment & I'm very pleased with my progress so far. have a look here:

http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/

the forum is a bit slow, but there's lots of good advice & support for people doing TSM there

-badger

Comment

Hi Sun,

It seems a bit better now, but yesterday and this morning was really bad. I know we both benefit from AB but it upsets both our tummies. I was wondering whether this is a side effect of regular AB use. I do wait for some time before drinking but the last 2 times I've had a bad headache.

There must be something we can figure out for your tummy as daily intake is hard to keep up with. I take 200mg every 5 days. Then your brain can rest a bit on the decision-making front. Have you tried taking it just before bed when you are almost asleep? Or with a mucky green drink with some added peanut butter to lessen the effects?

Nal didn't work for me but it could've been down to finances and not taking enough for me. Besides, I'm a real firm believer in that we're all different and I never disregard the possibility that everyone can find their own unique cure or relief. It's the same with anti-depressants. But even if any medication only works for a few months, it's still something. Every day we stay positive/and or sober is a breakthrough in my eyes.

X0X

Comment

Hi Badger, I'm glad you're doing well!

Comment

Originally posted by badger View Post
                        hi SSD,

I'm doing TSM at the moment & I'm very pleased with my progress so far. have a look here:

http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/

the forum is a bit slow, but there's lots of good advice & support for people doing TSM there

-badger
                        Thank you Badger - every bit of advice is welcomed ! I have read the Eskapa book and also the Claudia Christian book and feel SO hopeful...... how long have you been on TSM and when you say that you are pleased with your progress, can you enlarge on that for me? I just need some help here with this and am so grateful for you posting that link for me .... by the way I am a transplanted Brit - I saw you are in UK - did you get your Nal from the Doc? My brother is in UK and if Nal works for me I will tell him about it ....
                        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

SO pleased that you are feeling a tad better Dizzy ..... I am really lucky that I very rarely get headaches. Cannot remember the last one that I had.

Re the AB, I am not taking it right now as with the Nal, one must drink - LOL !! Seriously, for it to work you have to ..... so right now I am giving the Nal a go and hopefully something will happen soon !! I am going to go to that link that Badger posted when I have a chance - I have had company and just not had a minute to me - but they left this morning so can get back to normal now.

When you took the Nal, did you take it EVERY time before you drank? You must do that ..... and yes any AF days are good - SIGH ! I WILL get there and really am feeling good about the Nal .... fingers crossed !

feel better !

hugs, Sun XXX

Comment

Originally posted by sunshinedaisies View Post
                            Thank you Badger - every bit of advice is welcomed ! I have read the Eskapa book and also the Claudia Christian book and feel SO hopeful...... how long have you been on TSM and when you say that you are pleased with your progress, can you enlarge on that for me? I just need some help here with this and am so grateful for you posting that link for me .... by the way I am a transplanted Brit - I saw you are in UK - did you get your Nal from the Doc? My brother is in UK and if Nal works for me I will tell him about it ....
                            I'm about two months in & my consumption is coming down slowly but surely. some people do respond faster, but generally you're looking at 3-6 months minimum. however, & more importantly (to me), the way I feel about AL is changing which presumably is the pharmacological extinction working

I'm getting my Nal(trexone) off the Internet. you can now (in theory) get Nalmefene on the NHS, although ironically it won't be prescribed if you're drinking more than 8 UK units/day for a man, or 6/day for a woman. whether UK GP's prove to be willing to prescribe may be another matter I wouldn't have been prescribed it if I'd been honest about my consumption, as I was over the limit, & anyway, I didn't want it on my medical record or be forced to go for counselling

have a look at the tsm.net forum - there are some good people on there who are doing TSM at the moment. also, some old-timers who've been through TSM & regained control over their drinking

all the best

-badger

btw - love the avatar - I live not too far from Ashdown Forest, where Pooh lived

Comment

LOL - I LOVE Winnie The Pooh - I even have a WTP water bottle cover! Thanks again - it is reassuring to hear this stuff !!!

Comment

Just listened to the site. It makes so much sense. It really bothers me that the doctors say just quit. Sun I really would like to know how you were able to talk the doctor into the meds. If this works why havent' my doctors told me about this.

Comment

Working...
                                X