Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

social drinking on the medications?

Hello -

I'm new to this forum, sadly not new the the whole alcohol addiction. I was sober from 19 to about 35 yrs. old, then started drinking which was fine for many years until the last 3. Some of the excessive drinking is due to some marriage stuff - which in turn could be caused by hubby's and my drinking. None the less, it got to where I recongized old addictive patterns - mostly just not being able to say 'I've had enough'.

Anyway - I'm 2 weeks alcohol free but I know that I want to drink wine (we are big foodies) and entertain a lot. I've been kind of hiding out for the past 2 weeks - avoiding people and places that would make it uncomfortable for me to not drink, but know this is not realistic for the rest of my life.

I'm going to a Psychiatrist in LA who is very familiar with the medications, Naltrexone, Baclofen and Campral are the ones he mentioned specifically and he thinks I will be a good candidate for something.

I know I will get answers from him, but I'm curious about other 'foodies' or those who just love wine, do you find you are able to consume a glass or two and enjoy the taste and social interaction?

Also, how do you handle people who are skeptical of pharmaceutical treatment as opposed to abstinence and 'faith-based' group support? I'm going to individual therapy for the psychological support and am so hopeful that the medication can transform my patterns into a 'normal' social drinker.

Thank you all for sharing your stories here, it has been so helpful and hopeful to read.

P -:new:

I think at first it is best to attempt to go alcohol free at least a few months and then decide if you wish to risk trying to be a social drinker. IMO it isn't worth the risk. There is a section here for moderators. Some of them succeed, i am sure, but at what cost and risk.
    Alcohol dependence is primarily a neurochemical disorder and not a spiritual or psychological failure although there are spiritual and psychological consequences of alcohol abuse. I think that "faith based" support groups perpetuate an approach which doesn't take into account any new knowledge of this disease. The book they follow was written in the 1930s and hasn't changed since. Would anyone follow a 1935 protocol for breast cancer? Their recovery rates in AA are about the same as "spontaneous recovery" without any treatment- about 5%/year.
    Medication increases this recovery rate significantly. In the case of Baclofen a recent open label study showed that 88% were greatly improved on this new application of an old drug.
    Good luck and welcome to your life
    Sunny

Comment

Hi. You may want to read up on the The Sinclair Method on this site. I've had doctor's prescribe Naltrexone but not as indicated in this method. I also think that if you do your research before seeing the doctor, you'll be better armed to narrow down the right path for you.
      I wish you the best.
      -HS

Comment

Thank you for your responses. Yes, I have been reading a bit about the sinclair method. I had not heard of it until doing a bit of googling. And it makes sense about the neurochemical disorder that can (and usually does) have psychological and spiritual consequences. Damn those brain chemicals!

I will report back what I learn from my Dr.'s appointment. He seems pretty well versed in treating patients with addiction issues.

I'm hopeful . . .

P -

Comment

Remain forever hopeful P. It's when we lose hope that we're in serious trouble.

Welcome to MWO.

Many Blessings
          Phil
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Working...
          X