Ameisen's Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ameisen's Disease

You know, with all of the dogma surrounding addiction, and the infuriating, misguided social stigma associated with words like alcoholic, even approaching a doctor about what is basically a biochemical affliction can seem uncomfortable (I know because I've seen the judgement in their eyes). Per a recent post "On talking about baclofen (and why not to)," which concludes that there is even resistance within the AA community, it occurred to me that maybe this is an affliction that deserves a new name, free of preconception. What about referring to the affliction as "Ameisen's Disease" in honor of the man who was diligent and courageous enough to help all these people, and all the many more to come. It's just a thought; let me know yours.

Ameisen's Disease

:wd::wd::wd::wd::day5::agreed:

What an excellent idea!

Oh my, oh my. I have the sudden urge to go to a closed AA meeting and say, "Hi, I'm Tracy, and I have Ameisen's Disease."

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
    - Vernon Howard

Comment

Ameisen's Disease

Great idea, I dont take Baclofen but would in a heartbeat If what I am doing doesnt work for me. Indeed call it Amiesens disease...it might gain a bit more acceptance and respectability if we told our family doctors that he is one of their own ilk! It is very puzzling that folk in AA might even have resistance to it. Does it make the fight less honourable if it includes some biochemical help? For heavens sake how much suffering should one endure?
      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Ameisen's Disease

sapphire1;974516 wrote: It is very puzzling that folk in AA might even have resistance to it.
        It's not really. The AA is very resistant to anything apart from the 12 steps. Obviously some groups will be fine as each is made up of individuals but the big money in AA is generated by AAWS (AA World Services) which is basically a publishing company making millions from different editions of the Big Book.

Officially the 12-steps aren't about stopping you from drinking. They are about living your life on a spiritual path upon which you will no longer need to drink. Taking medication which would negate that need is counter to that philosophy.

Comment

Ameisen's Disease

AD

I like the idea of a name for it. You could call it Gaba B dysphoria but who knows what dysphoria means or what a Gabba B is.

AD is good.
          BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Ameisen's Disease

I'm warming to the idea. It goes against the grain initially but it surely has merit. Why not? Ameisen's disease.
            Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Ameisen's Disease

I dig the enthusiasm Tracy!!:thanks:

Sapphire - I just wanted to say I love your quote, that has been on my wall courtesy of my parents since I was very young, and it's near and dear to my heart

Otter- Totally agree, GABAb dysphoria doesn't have that sexy ring to it that would jump start the PR campaign

Comment

Working...
              X