I Finally Hit The Switch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is gonna be long, so I hope you will bear with me. I had tried everything (except AA--couldn't deal with that), and my last ditch effort was Baclofen. It was a rocky journey which started on May 1 and ended on October 2. As I titrated up to higher and higher doesages, the side effects became almost unbearable. Horrible insomnia, anxiety attacks, tinnitis, weird dreams (what few hours of sleep I managed to get). Don't know if this ever happened to an6yone else, but I started falling. It was like my legs would just collapse. Normally, this wouldn't be that bad, cause I always landed on my butt, but I have severe osteoporosis in my spine, and I wound up at the ER to a series of xrays. Luckoly, I had not broken anything, but after those two falls, I fell 5 or 6 more times. Haven't been xrayed since those falls, just been on vicodin for the pain and have been taking it easy. My husband said sometimes when I would speak, I wouldn't make any sense (luckilyI didn't remember this I went up to 360 mg a day for one day only. That was the day I collapsed at my granddaughter's softball game--so embarrassing! Anyway, hubby said, "I don't want you to be an alcoholic, but I don't want you to wind up in a wheelchair either!" So, the next day, I went down 20mg. Have slowly titrated down 20mg every few days. I had another really scary thing that happened, but I won't bore you with that. It involved me nodding off at a red light and I woke up with a cop in my face going, "wake up, wake up." Then another cop and an ambulance.

Well, anyway , I was all so worth it. Not only do I not have a desire for AL, but I actually have an aversion to it. One night I had run out of Vicodin (I can't take antiflammatories because I have an olcer), so I decided to take a couple sips of my husband's wine. The smell put me off, but I persevered and took a sip> I gagged and thought I would have to spit it out, but I did manage to get it down. I immediately had to brush my teeth. The next day I put raisins in my oatmeal and couldn't eat it because the raisins tasted like wine. I saw some jarred pasta sauce with vodka and gagged. My drink of choice is crushed; ice and water although right not I am treating myself to a lemon sour--seltzer, lemons, crushed ice and salt. For all you folks who said you gained weight, one of the odd things I am experiencing is--I can't stand snything sweet!

Well, as I said it was a rocky road, but so worth it. Luckily I didn't break my neck, and I would do it again (but I don't think I will have to). This feeling of freedom is indescribable!

Kay in Georgia.

P.S my doc has been on board from the beginning. The PA evn read Dr. A's book. She was so thrilled for me and excited about the prospect of helping so many of their patients, even possibly the drug addicts, too.

Thanks for all your support. I have not posted a lot, but have read a lot, and your posts have been an inspiration to me. Thank you all.

Kay - this is a great story!

At what dose did you arrive at your switch?!

Comment

susanna;977413 wrote: Kay - this is a great story!

At what dose did you arrive at your switch?!
      360mg but only for one day.

Comment

Thank you.
        Did u know u had hit it? Or did you dose down due to SE's.
        Would you mind providing ur approx weight and age?

Comment

Kay Congrats. Really happy for you

I know where Susanna's coming from and I would also like to get some clarification. Probably not the immediate response you expected but there seems to be new developments with the understanding of Bac all the time.

So if I may:

What date were you on 360mg?
          What did you taper down to?
          What dose were you taking on Oct 2nd when you realised you had hit the proverbial switch?

We're very interested in dosage at the moment see Dosage and Frequency thread.

Sorry for the interogation.
          Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Thanks Ig - for making the linkage for me. I'm beyond tired at the moment.

It's impossible to express how good it is to hear of your success. Any superlative I could come up with seemed trite compared to the significance of what you've accomplished.

It's heartwarming, to say the least, that you have arrived.

Warm regards,
            Susan

Comment

:wd:Kay, Congratulations! I like to see stories like this!

Comment

susanna;977442 wrote: Thank you.
                Did u know u had hit it? Or did you dose down due to SE's.
                Would you mind providing ur approx weight and age?
                Yes, I knew I had hit the switch, and I did start dosing down due to the SE's; I am 57 years old and 140 lbs, 5'5" tall.

Comment

ignominous;977450 wrote: Kay Congrats. Really happy for you

I know where Susanna's coming from and I would also like to get some clarification. Probably not the immediate response you expected but there seems to be new developments with the understanding of Bac all the time.

So if I may:

What date were you on 360mg?
                  What did you taper down to?
                  What dose were you taking on Oct 2nd when you realised you had hit the proverbial switch?

We're very interested in dosage at the moment see Dosage and Frequency thread.

Sorry for the interogation.
                  September 30, I am currently at 100mg in the am, 80 early afternoon and 80 in the evening; will stay here for a few days. After the one day at 360 I went down 20 mg, and stayed there a couple of days. I'm afraid I haven't been good at journaling. Just so happy to be here, alive and well.

Comment

I'm also not good at journaling but I'm making a sterling effort here.

Like all new found believers/converts I now find that I am becoming a zealot, please pardon me.

Your story has given me hope that until a few weeks ago I couldn't dream of. So I'm unnaturally enthused.
                    Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Kay, wow what a story! It sounds like a harrowing five months, but what a wonderful ending!

Am I gathering that you are still titrating down?

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
                      - Vernon Howard

Comment

I don't really know what to say.

I am eternally humbled by the amount of perseverance, dedication and faith it must have taken to get where you are. :bow

Feels good though don't it? :beach:
                        :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                        :what?:
                        sigpic
                        Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                        A Forum
                        Trolls need not apply

Comment

Ditto LoOp, Kay. Way to effin' go. Desperate times call for desperate measures. These are our LIVES we're talking about. And the more demonstrations that these measures work, the more lives saved. Awe-some.
                          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

ignominous;977649 wrote: I'm also not good at journaling but I'm making a sterling effort here.

Like all new found believers/converts I now find that I am becoming a zealot, please pardon me.

Your story has given me hope that until a few weeks ago I couldn't dream of. So I'm unnaturally enthused.
                            These boards made me want to keep going. I was determined not to fail!

Comment

RedThread12;977770 wrote: Ditto LoOp, Kay. Way to effin' go. Desperate times call for desperate measures. These are our LIVES we're talking about. And the more demonstrations that these measures work, the more lives saved. Awe-some.
                              thanks Red. It is a wonderful feeling!

Kay

Comment

Working...
                              X