Sobriety. Whatever that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ig2: They're having a similar discussion over on the general forum WAKE UP PEOPLE!
    Ig1: I tend to think that if your heart is in the right place then any input is good input but I will try to cut down on the f@W#ing a bit. Its not very helpful for a lot of people and demonstrates my tenuous of grasp of the English language. However if I really can't think of a better way to express myself I will resort to expletives, even offensive ones.
    We've also got too many discussions going on don't you think
    Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

I've spent the last hour on the side effects and adverse reactions thread. Ouch. I can't be comforted by the posts, since so many have found the SEs to be intolerable. And it feels like so few are succeeding.
      Is this about managiing SEs, managing AL or managing the.... what? Underlying issue? And isn't the point of baclofen that it eliminates the need for alcohol???

Comment

My understanding is that there is no good data on the success rates of any of the newer, basically self-prescribed, medication-based treatments for alcoholism. They are probably mildly effective, and thus worth trying. On the other hand it shouldn't be too surprising if none of the methods work.

Comment

Sage and slightly disconcerting words 37

Comment

Ig2: What the fuck
            Ig1: Calm down
            Ig2: You fucking sage out you self professed wanker. I'm fucking fed up with this shit as it is and now it's not even going to do anything. I'm going on a bender
            Ig1: So it doesn't do any thing. At worse your a couple of thousand dollars shorter
            Ig2: Like your Warren Buffett
            Ig1: Point taken but we might as well find out for ourselves.

Comment

Not a fan of 37's cheeriness. No offense 37. The point is, is it going to work for me? And that is greatly influenced by me...

So what, ig? You're going to throw in the towel? At 240? You don't need an excuse to go on a bender, or at least I don't. I don't envy you the hangover.

What specifically threw me on the SEs thread was the last post about the eyes, being wobbly vs. fixed. Which helps to explain my difficulty driving. And I thought I was just nuts. Wish I'd known.
              I've gone up to 60. Don't feel so bad, I don't think. Hands and feet numb, and weirdly, left elbow hurts and is weak but has been for a couple of weeks.

It's gonna work. Hope it's a good day.

Comment

And plenty of anecdotal evidence that it does actually work, ftr.

Comment

and all that scientific stuff that 37 and loop had a discussion about....
                  lol
                  how's the connection?

Comment

neva eva;1003453 wrote: and all that scientific stuff that 37 and loop had a discussion about....
                    I missed that discussion. Where can I find it?
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Beatle, it was about nal, actually.
                      Naltrexone is working for me thread. Last couple of pages. Of course, as I know you know, but for others the bac stuff is on the holy grail, Consolidated Baclofen Thread.
                      Are you still taking it?

Comment

"if you are saying Bac is very addictive, I think that might be a misunderstanding of the meaning "addictive".

Yes, you need to taper off Bac if you have been taking it for a long time, especially if you have been taking high doses. This is because it does affect your nervous system, as I understand it.

But addiction means that you crave something, and can't rid yourself of the physical craving. I think addiction also usually includes a development of tolerance, meaning you have to continually increase your dose to achieve the desired effects over time. I believe this does not happen with Bac. In fact, according to Dr. A, and the subsequent research, after reaching the "switch-off" point, the dosage required goes down, not up.

There are many medications -- in fact most, I suspect -- that if taken long-term, should not be terminated abruptly. Baclofen, being an anti-seizure medication, would certainly seem a high risk medication to quit cold-turkey. However, I do not think this necessarily qualifies it as being addictive.
                        "

Don't know how to copy from one thread to another yet.
                        This seemed relevant to one of our discussions. Beatle wrote it in the SEs thread. Page 11, in August 2009.

Comment

pms are full.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a real ray of sunshine at parties too

Since I am taking NAL myself, consistent with the "Sinclair Method", obviously I think that NAL may help. But I am clear-eyed about the process. The natural course of alcoholism is that it waxes and wanes, and a certain number will respond to any treatment, including the admonition to just do your best - no meds, no therapy. So it is very hard to conclude anything from anecdotal successes.

The posters here seem mostly level-headed and realistic in their expectations. I don't see the massive denials, woolly-headed "science", and over-the-top cheerleading I saw on another board.

As I reported in another thread, I don't really notice a big difference into my third month of NAL. I will probably try BAC next, though the reported SE are such that I will schedule a couple of months off work.

Comment

Why take off work? The 'anecdotes' putting you off?
                              -Ian

Comment

guardian;1003899 wrote: Why take off work? The 'anecdotes' putting you off?
                                Nice one.

The SE's are listed in the standard drug blurp, and I have also encountered people on BAC for non-AL indications. Unfortunately, I have to be alert and cognitively-engaged in my job, and I don't want to risk being otherwise while at work. So, if I do start BAC, I will likely take some time off. This will also allow me to escalate the dose more rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                                X