Why baclofen reduces libido in men...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: The Effect of Buspirone on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Secretion in Man, October 1983, Meltzer et al. 40 (10): 1099

The Effect of Buspirone on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Secretion in Man

Herbert Y. Meltzer, MD; Rachel Flemming, PhD; Alan Robertson, MD

Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1983;40(10):1099-1102.

Abstract

• Buspirone hydrochloride, a compound with novel chemical structure, has been reported to be anxiolytic in man. Its mechanism of action as an anxiolytic is unknown, but preclinical studies have shown that it produces effects consistent with both a dopamine agonist and antagonist. In man, buspirone hydrochloride at doses of 30,60, and 90 mg orally significantly elevated plasma prolactin (PRL) and growth hormone (GH) concentrations. The apparent increase in PRL secretion was dose dependent, but that of GH was not. The increase in PRL secretion could be due to a dopamine antagonist effect at the pituitary gland. A dopamine agonist action at hypothalamic dopamine receptors could account for the increase in GH secretion. Benzodiazepine anxiolytic drugs also increase serum GH levels in man, by a mechanism that has not been clearly established. It may be that buspirone and benzodiazepine drugs stimulate GH secretion by a common mechanism that is related to their anxiolytic actions.

------------------------

Cabergoline and bromocryptine are pharmaceutical prolactin antagonists. In theory they'll take care of the libido issue, so long as prolactin is the standalone cause.

Both are readily available through the same suppliers as baclofen.

The GH thing is interesting. I have noticed that my skin and hair seem thicker and healthier.

-Ian
    -Ian

I don't follow your logic here at all. Please explain what you are talking about. Also, my libido has skyrocketed during my titration up to 280mg/day. It's leveled out a bit, but still higher than before baclofen. ??? -tk
    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Why don't you explain to me what it is that you don't understand.
      -Ian

Comment

Baclofen causes the pituitary to secret excess prolactin. Hyperprolctinemia causes hypogonadism. Hypogonadism leads to lowered libido and erectile dysfunction. The prolactin antagonists cabergoline and bromocriptine effectively treat hypogonadism associated with hyperprolactinemia.
        -Ian

Comment

Well I'm glad we've got that cleared up then
          Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

guardian;986832 wrote: Baclofen causes the pituitary to secret excess prolactin. Hyperprolctinemia causes hypogonadism. Hypogonadism leads to lowered libido and erectile dysfunction. The prolactin antagonists cabergoline and bromocriptine effectively treat hypogonadism associated with hyperprolactinemia.
            Where do you get this information? The abstract you cite makes no mention of it. This abstract describes the opposite, albeit in women:

[Prolactin after baclofen in healthy subjects and prolactinoma patients]

[Article in Italian]

Morosini PP, Carletti P, Sarzani R, Ferretti GF, Marchesi GF, Nardi B.
            Abstract

Serum prolactin (PRL) levels in basal conditions (two samples) and 30, 60, 90, 120, 150 e 180 minutes after oral administration of baclofen (20 mg) were evaluated in 6 healthy subjects and in 10 patients with prolactinoma. The effect of baclofen (20 mg by mouth) on the PRL secretion cimetidine (400 mg i.v.) or domperidone (20 mg i.v.) induced were evaluated in 9 healthy women by administration of baclofen 60 minutes before cimetidine or domperidone. Baclofen was unable to significantly rise serum PRL levels in healthy subjects and in patients affected by prolactinoma and furthermore did not interfere with PRL rise domperidone induced. On the contrary baclofen decreased PRL rise cimetidine induced. It was concluded that: in basal condition, GABAb receptor don't play an obvious role in modulation of PRL secretion; when H2 istaminergic inhibition on PRL secretion is blocked (at an hypothalamic site), a GABA inhibition, b receptor mediated, on PRL secretion became more clear; the domperidone blockade of hypophysial dopaminergic receptors suggests that GABAb modulation of prolactin secretion don't obtain itself by dopaminergic pathways.
            TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

response to guardian

I thank you for this reference. I was taking citalopram but found it changed the sperm content of my ejaculation (my wife wants another child!). I have since moved to buspirone and have noticed that the sperm content is back to normal! I have two questions:

1. I lilke outher members of this great community intent on trying our best to resolve a horrendous problem that afflicts our lives: I have noticed no difference on my libido and also I am somewhat confused as to your reasons for deducing the conclusions you do on the basis of the abstract.

2. a personal question: what is the reason for you letting the community know of this - I like many of this (testified my the responses to your posting) are so happy with your post because we are all in this together - and try our best to understand the predicament we are in and also the authentic best way to deall with it (we dont want crap advice! we have to face reality as it!)

Comment

It's funny that some men here are experiencing lowered libido on bac, and others are experiencing the opposite. Regardless of the scientific information behind it, it seems that "bac affects everyone differently" holds true in just about every scenario.

While the abstract that terryk posted is all Greek to me, I believe it's showing an increase in libido in women, in which case I can attest to that.

Concerning the abstract that Ian posted, I find that part about GH interesting. I wonder if that has to do with why people find bac helps them to work out longer and harder and therefore get stronger?

Very interesting stuff.
                Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
                ~Clutch

Comment

Everyone, thank you for the responses

terryk,

I'm assuming from the study that you and from your own experience posted that you are a woman. I admit that I have not looked into the effects of prolactin in women's bodies. I know that it has to do with breastfeeding, and that's about it. It doesn't look like baclofen causes hypogonadism in women, so I have nothing more to say on that here. I just assumed from the title of the thread that we would keep this discussion confined to the effects of baclofen in men. I see how it could be easily misunderstood. I'm not educated in biology or pharmacology, but from what I have read, a lot of the scholarly papers refer to the effects in "man" which is just another way of saying human.

I looked into this because, after the first few days of a rapid rise , baclofen has killed my libido. I'm assuming I will be taking baclofen for the rest of my life, so I want to minimize any side effects.

So that is where I am coming from.

If you are interested in where I get the information in my previous post, I can cite studies. But again, I don't think that you have a bone to pick with that, just the fact that I threw a study up and expected everyone to say "ok, let's all take a prolactin antagonist and call it a day." I'm relieved that other people are well versed in this stuff, because I have a lot to learn.

Reggie,

I'm happy to hear that you aren't having an issue with it. I don't know why. The only wasy for you to know what is going on in your body is to have bloodwork done. It might not be a bad idea because excess prolactin in a man can cause other nasty things like osteoporosis, so it's best to be aware of it.

I'd much rather be raring to go at a moments notice, but that isn't the case. I'm just trying to figure out why. I can't put a price on being able to truly experience the rest of my life without having the never-ending urge to get drunk, but not wanting to have sex or to the ability to father children is also something I will also come to regret.

henry,

it's my pleasure. I recently hit my switch, and I have a lot of time on my hands while not obsessing about drinking . I'm also very grateful, so I want to do the best I can to give back any way that I can.

My libido is in the tank. I can't be a good husband if I can't connect with my wife on every level. I'm also concerned about hyperprolactinemia and it's effect on my ability to have kids. I'm expected to be up to the task here in less than 2 years, so I'm on a deadline. It's great to here that your levels are back to normal. That goes a long way to assuaging my concerns. Are you trying to have a kid?

I put the prolactin antagonist part up there because, after a cursory search, found that it could be a solution to the problem of hyperprolactinemia. I guess I was a hasty in posting it. This is after all a public forum, and desperate people will try anything to solve their problems. Throwing another drug into the cocktail may not be a wise choice for everyone.

The responses I have received in this thread have gone a long way to humble me. After looking around at the available information, I realize that I know very little about the subject of the thread.

Still, I am concerned. I can't change the title, but I'd like to discuss the issue of libido. If I don't want to have sex, then the natural result of the act is irrelevant. I know that cortisol can have an effect on it, but I'd like to tackle the prolactin thing first.

Thanks for the responses.

-Ian
                  -Ian

Comment

guardian;986539 wrote: Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: The Effect of Buspirone on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Secretion in Man, October 1983, Meltzer et al. 40 (10): 1099

The Effect of Buspirone
                    on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Secretion in Man

Herbert Y. Meltzer, MD; Rachel Flemming, PhD; Alan Robertson, MD

Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1983;40(10):1099-1102.

I'm still confused as to how you have a study called "The Effect of Buspirone
                    on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Secretion in Man" and managed to mistake it for a study on Baclofen. Am I missing something?
                    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                    :what?:
                    sigpic
                    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                    A Forum
                    Trolls need not apply

Comment

Thanks, Loop, that was throwing me, too.
                      AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                      "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Lo0p;987320 wrote: I'm still confused as to how you have a study called "The Effect of Buspirone on Prolactin and Growth Hormone Secretion in Man" and managed to mistake it for a study on Baclofen. Am I missing something?
                        Loop,

I made a world-class goof, that's how.

Ok everyone, disregard everything I posted.

Wow, this is embarrassing. Sorry. Back to cortisol, I guess.

-Ian
                        -Ian

Comment

haha thank goodness, I read that abstract like 20 times and scoured the internet for a decisive link between bac and buspirone and thought I was missing something obvious...i'm not losing my mind....yay...

That being said it does seem like there is probably a link between libido and baclofen, but like so many other unanswered questions on baclofen, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of conclusive studies giving way to a clear answer. It bother's me to no end that there can be so few studies found on the applications of this dynamic drug, especially when there has been so much attention paid to the GABAa receptors. It feels like there is so little really known about the GABAb receptors, some of the information available seems to be almost contradictory at times. I guess that's why this forum filled with us guinea pigs is so helpful...

Comment

Yeah, I'm not familiar with scientific studies, or searching for them apparently. I used baclofen as a keyword and the study came up. It was in a link to a different article on the page.

I'm looking into luteinizing hormone now. My ability to be stimulated by other enjoyable things is reinforced by baclofen, so I think it has to do with the signal between the brain and the testes. I don't know. I guess it's a start. The whole thing has me pretty discouraged right now. I rather drink paint thinner than booze, but I'd rather watch paint dry than my girl.
                            -Ian

Comment

Ha
                              Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Working...
                              X