My progress with Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I've been on bac for 'round about 2 months now and thought it was time to give an update with my progress.

I'm currently taking 115mgs/day dosed as follows:

7am - 25 mgs
    12:30pm - 35 mgs
    5-ish - 45 mgs
    10pm - 10 mgs

I'm currently at a state of being able to moderate that in the past I would have been very happy with. There are days where I really don't have a desire to drink at all. Then there are days (well, nights really) that I kind of want something, but it's more psychological, and nothing really sounds good. Sometimes I'll just abstain, but sometimes I'll end up having something. Then there are times like last night where I definitely did want something to drink, so I had a beer, and pondered briefly having another, as I was feeling nice. But then considered the possibility of feeling yucky today because of how bac amplifies the effects of alcohol (yeah, even 2 beers can do that to me now). So just stopped at 1 and was fine.

Quite frankly, if this was as good as it ever got, I would still consider baclofen a HUGE success. This is really what I had thought Topa would do for me but which didn't even come close. But I recognize that considering the dose that most others have gotten up to, 115mgs is pretty paltry, and I will keep pushing forward until I get to the switch.

The side effects are all over the place, and sometimes bad, sometimes tolerable. The extreme happiness and energy that I was feeling around 80-90mgs (after re-starting bac after running out), was unfortunately short lived. At that time it felt like bac was the best anti-anxiety and anti-depressant in the world. Overall, I still do get the sense that there is hope where before I felt hopeless. But sometimes I'm just too tired and cranky to give a shit. Luckily the daytime tiredness is just a day or two here and there and then subsides. I generally do sleep very well at night, with just a couple of small episodes of insomnia sprinkled in every once in awhile. Last week I was getting pretty intense closed eye visuals when I would lay down to go to sleep. It was mostly like bright neon flashes and was very disconcerting. Sometimes I would have very intense dreams (sometimes good and sometimes bad), but other nights I don't remember my dreams at all.
    The side effects are thankfully very inconsistent, as I don't think I could handle having all of the heavier ones all at once, all the time.
    I have periods during the day of just feeling flat out "weird", where my head doesn't quite feel attached to my body, and I either need to sit down, drink some water, or do something to occupy my brain for a bit to wait it out. The dehydration factor gets annoying at times. Sometimes it feels like I have an irritation at the very bottom of my throat, that's a tough one to describe. No amount of water seems to help. And then there's when I'm just starting to fall asleep and I kind of choke on my own saliva. That'll wake ya right up and scare the crap out of you! There are times that I realize I'm kind of keeping myself from falling asleep because it's like giving in to the unknown, if that makes any sense. There were a few days last week where I was getting the closed eye visuals, choking on saliva, and really intense/vivid bad dreams all at the same time. That was a really tough time.

But the more intense SEs seem to be fading a bit now, this week it's much easier to cope. I'm really just going to try and focus on being as healthy as I can now. Eating a lot of fresh whole foods and start to exercise regularly again (well, that part has to wait a little bit as I'm healing from a minor surgical procedure last week). I think that this will help in all areas of my life, as I'm just going through a very rough patch in general.

As mentioned in a few other threads, I do get the sort of intense body tensing throughout the day, as a few others have also experienced. Taking a good chelated magnesium supplement throughout the day seems to help with that.

So that's where I'm at!
    Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
    ~Clutch

HOLY CRAP! That's almost exactly how I feel. I've been on about 2 mos. as well, I went up to 130mg yesterday.

Isolde;1001219 wrote: I'm currently at a state of being able to moderate that in the past I would have been very happy with. There are days where I really don't have a desire to drink at all. Then there are days (well, nights really) that I kind of want something, but it's more psychological, and nothing really sounds good. Sometimes I'll just abstain, but sometimes I'll end up having something. Then there are times like last night where I definitely did want something to drink, so I had a beer, and pondered briefly having another, as I was feeling nice. But then considered the possibility of feeling yucky today because of how bac amplifies the effects of alcohol (yeah, even 2 beers can do that to me now). So just stopped at 1 and was fine.
    HOLY CRAP! exactly...I had three last night, didn't feel too hot this morning lol. (it's funny because before I wouldn't get hangovers until anything over 15)

Isolde;1001219 wrote: The side effects are thankfully very inconsistent, as I don't think I could handle having all of the heavier ones all at once, all the time.
    I have periods during the day of just feeling flat out "weird", where my head doesn't quite feel attached to my body, and I either need to sit down, drink some water, or do something to occupy my brain for a bit to wait it out.
    Yeah the dehydration sucks, especially because I drink diet coke ALL day long, it is strange. I go through patches of the fuzzy disconnection thing, up to 90 it was only for the first couple days, 110 was pretty consistent, and strangely 130 hasn't been too bad so far (yesterday I was somnolent but today not so bad)

Isolde;1001219 wrote:
    And then there's when I'm just starting to fall asleep and I kind of choke on my own saliva. That'll wake ya right up and scare the crap out of you!
    AHHH!!! totally! it happens to me when I fall asleep on my back, I pop awake and it's kind of like a weird tickle type feeling (but not) in the back of my throat and I need to drink some water. Going back to sleep on my side afterward seems to be fine though. I don't get the visuals (thank god) so it's not too big a deal.

Isolde;1001219 wrote:
    The extreme happiness and energy that I was feeling around 80-90mgs (after re-starting bac after running out), was unfortunately short lived.
    Indeed, up to 90 I was feeling awesome. At 110 I was thinking that there is no way I can eventually maintain this kind of dose for the long term if the somnolence/fuzziness (cranky/not give a shit) doesn't go away (and maybe I won't have to) but I decided screw it I'm going up till I get the full out benefits and then maybe come back down eventually...hard to say at the moment.

SWEET! I'm glad to hear you're doing well with it overall...keep me posted, i wait with bated breath.:disco:

Comment

You posted this on another thread.

I think it was a good choice to forge ahead, Ig. I am definitely out of my honeymoon phase with bac and have been having the SEs hit me hard. After about a week of staying at one dose, even if the SEs are killing me, I'll titrate up by 10mgs. Oddly enough, increasing the dose seems to help level off the SEs for a bit. It's completely backwards logic, but that's how it's been going for me. Hopefully you'll find that increasing gives you a bit of a break with the SEs too!

I don't know if its placebo effect or what but it seems to be true. I'm moving up another 10mg today to 240.
      Glad you've posted here, how's your teeth clenching, gum biting going?
      Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Isolde, that's wonderful progress, and your experience and SEs mirror my own, although I have to say that my intense dreams were never good!

Once you've reached your switch and level your bac dosage off, your SEs should go away. I'm at 200/day now, and I have no SEs other than the occasional afternoon/evening sleepiness, which is hard to specifically attribute to baclofen. :-)

-Moglor

Comment

Publius, feels good to least know that you are not the only one dealing with those SEs, huh? I know it makes ME feel better! :H Oh man, drinking diet coke all day on top of being dehydrated from bac? That definitely sounds like a double whammy! But glad to hear that you seem to be doing pretty well with the bac so far, I'll def. keep you updated as I progress up!

Ig, glad to hear you're getting some relief from the SEs! Keep us up to date with how you do with the next increase. The clenching overall seems to be better, though I caught myself doing it during a meeting the other day. The magnesium that helps with the body stiffness also helps out with the clenching. It's definitely nowhere near as intolerable as it was before!

Thanks Moglor! It definitely helps to hear that I'm not alone with this specific brand of SEs. And I'm glad to hear that they won't be so bad after the switch.

I've been at 115 for about a week now, so I guess it's time to bump up again. I had just been increasing by 10mg each time, but I think that it's suggested to go up by 20mgs every week?

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
          ~Clutch

Comment

So happy to read your progress Isolde & Publius. Both of your experiences are mimicking mine. Right now I'm on month 2 and at around 150-190 (I did go higher one weekend in an attempt to get to my switch --220--, but got extrememely sick and terrible SE's...to quick. Although I thought I hit the switch, but maybe I came down too quickly as I have given in to the wine a couple nights since...)

Anyway, I'm happy to read your posts. The one major set back for me has been weight gain. I've gained about 10 pounds this month and all in my stomache area. I'm feeling extrememly bloated and hoping next Monday to start a better eating plan to curb that. ugggg.. not sure I can take another 10 pounds this month. sure hoping that SE stops!

Good luck to all. We will get there!
            Indifference is in your future with Baclofen. It works!

My frustration with Baclofen, which is shared by Dr. Oliver Ameisen, is that because Baclofen is an off patent medication there is no profit motive for drug companies to support clinical trials that would demonstrate its efficacy in treating addiction.

Comment

I feel awkward on a forum, yet, at the same time curious to read about the experience from people using or considering the use of Baclofen for their addiction. It took me a while to find postings that gave me the information I was looking fore. And now I am ready to share my experience.
              I am male, 65 year old with a long history of drinking. I think I was 14 years old when I first got pissed. It was a trrible experience and even now I can?t smell Whisky without an urge to vomit. Although I drank regularly from 18 years on, it was not steadily and not always to the point of oblivion. Occasionally I would however, go over the top. Overall, I think I managed my drinking habit reasonably well except for the last 20 years. When drinking became a substitute for painkillers. In the course of the years I have tried several times to quit drinking on my own, without much success. Once I went for help, when I spoke about my background and the amount of alcohol I was drinking then ( 1 bottle of wine a day) the reaction was, “ oh, is that all”. That wasn?t exactly what I needed at thet time. We tried a scheme for a while, but the motivation soon vanished.
              In my profession as an artist, it wasn?t conspicuous to drink. I never was a bar type, but on social occasions there was always alcohol involved. Drinking was a natural thing to do. Besides, my mother was an alcoholic for as long as I can remember.
              Looking back, drinking was for me the only way to be able to deal with stress, anxiety, uneasiness, uncertainty and social involvement. And I never felt completely comfortable in company.
              For my work, alcohol was a boost to lift me over moments of anxiety or give me energy to achieve in physical efforts. Later on in life alcohol became more and more indispensable for oppressing pain in back and knees. So much so, that I needed to drink from morning till night to be able to function. This has had an inevitable impact on my general health condition.
              Some months ago Ameisen?s book came to my attention. This was the story I had been waiting for. Wow!
              I tried to get support from medics, to no avail, like so many. Luckily I live in a country where it is not difficult to buy Baclofen at the Pharmacy without prescription. So I decided to do it on my own.
              I started almost 6 weeks ago on the scheme that Ameisen describes in his book. Slowly titrating, starting with 15 mg p/ day. Adding 10 mg after every three days. Only after the first 3 days did I drink a few glasses of wine and none thereafter. From the start I kept a diary. Some of the SE described by others, I recognize. I am so grateful for the postings I read. I experienced almost from the start very vivid/ clear cut dreams, a bit dizzy, hard to focus my thoughts, difficulty reading, numbness/ twinkling in fingers and lips, and an almost constant pressure in my head. In the beginning it felt like a stiff hangover. But there was also a feeling of peace of mind. Things around me became much clearer visible. The thought of drinking became slowly less. Only occasionally do I think of a glass of wine, the thought disappears just as fast as it came into mind. In the beginning I craved for something to bite, this too has become less, but I need a lot of fruit and nuts to eat. After two weeks I quickened the titration and by day 30 was taking 150 mg/ day. Most side effects stayed unchanged, but the pressure in my head became too much. It was then, that I started to look on the internet for experience by others. I was a bit worried about the pain in my head. I lowered the doses to 125. This helped somewhat but now and then the thumping in my head becomes too strong. I also started wondering how one feels the moment when the “ switch” is felt when you get there? There were some impressive accounts on the forum. I am committed to achieve this moment but reluctant about the doses necessary to achieve it. Anyway, it is encouraging to read all the different accounts and motivations on this forum. I hope to have some response and good advice for the road ahead that may also be useful for others.
              It is obvious that there is a common denominator in all the stories that are posted and it is fascinating to realize that every story has a personal background. The thing that marvels me is, that Ameisen managed to find the tone that inspires so many. With his background, knowledge and persistence he was the right person at the right time to put all the loose ends together and give so many an outlook to a way out. I sm at the beginning of the track, but I am encouraged bye the stories of others who have been on the track for somewhat longer with good results.

Comment

I really suck at giving updates. I'm here reading every day though. Sometimes responding to other people's posts and sometimes not. About 2 weeks ago, I thought I might have hit the switch. I was feeling buzzy from the bac, actually in a good way and I had NO desire to drink whatsoever. The only thing I was craving was a hot chocolate for some reason (it's not at all cold here, either). But it ended up being just a one-off situation. So I continued to titrate up.
                I just bumped up yesterday to 155mg/day. I'm experiencing a weird mix of thoughts about alcohol. I don't really WANT to drink for drinking's sake. Alcohol doesn't really sound that good for the most part. But I'm going through a really rough patch right now, concerning pretty much everything in my life, which is only going to get more tumultuous before it gets better. And I so desperately want to "numb out". But trying to do so doesn't have the desired effect. I wind up more emotional (which I should expect from past experience!) and usually just feeling like crap. Last night I had a big glass of wine and a light beer and I felt like I'd drank everything in the house! I fell asleep watching tv and woke up an hour late feeling like absolute shit.
                If everything was relatively normal right now, I think it would be insanely easy not to drink. I think the best thing I can do for myself right is to just make the conscious decision not to drink. I know that it will only make it easier to deal with everything, by being sober. But the funny thing is that even when I'm not drinking now, I don't actually feel sober! I'm definitely "bac'd out"! Writing this post feels difficult right now. I have a hard time focusing when I'm reading. Which sucks because I'm a total bibliophile and reading has been my one great escape for a long time now. But the sooner I let bac do its work (which it can't do if I keep "forcing" myself to drink!), the sooner I can hopefully begin titrating down to a more manageable level and begin to feel more like my old self again.
                I don't know if any of the above is what I actually wanted to say. But it feels like my brain has reached its limit for now.

~Clutch

Comment

Isolde

Your account of what you're feeling is very similar to how I felt. I felt Bac'd out for the longest time and still do even though I am tapering down.

I continued to drink until I hit hit the switch but hit the switch I did about a week ago. I think the Bac is doing its work and whatever you do is irrelevant to that. The SEs are testament to that fact. I'm sure that not drinking would give some relief from the SEs but whatever you do , do not forsake the Bac.

You bumped up yesterday to 155 from what dose? And how long were you on your previous dose? Keep us informed of your progress. However Bac'd out your prose may be!

Keep going Isolde, I'm sure you will soon hit the switch.

Comment

Ig, I could hug you right now. As much as I've read everyone's accounts about bac, it still helps to have someone say that they've been where I am and understand what I'm feeling. Thanks for the support. :l

I have been bumping up 20mgs every week. Usually I'll go up by 10mgs for a couple of days, and then go up another 10. It's not a set schedule though. This time I bumped up from 135mgs to 145, but only stayed there for a day before going up to 155. I just want to get on with it already!
                    It's comforting to know that the bac is still working, regardless of whether I continue to drink or not. I was afraid I might be "drinking through the switch". In any case, drinking just seems to make me feel like shit instead of giving me the relief that I'm looking for. Seems kind of pointless!

I'm also trying to decide on going to my doctor about this soon. Just because buying the bac online is getting really expensive, and it would be just a couple of bucks a month through my insurance. I'd like to wait until I hit the switch before I go to him though. Hopefully that will be soon, as I'm getting to the point where I'll probably need to place another order if I'm going to receive it before running out of my current stash.

~Clutch

Comment

I can so relate to what you are saying. I too, at the higher doses, had trouble reading. It does get better tho. It took a few months. Hang in there. I encourage a decision for abstinence. The baclofen works on the primitive reward circuitry which is one of the tools. Another tool to use is executive decision making which becomes SO much easier to actualize once the cravings are addressed.
                      I am amazed at what has happened in the past 10 months. So are my family and friends.
                      Whatever you are going through can only be best managed when you are no longer a slave to alcohol. Set yourself free. You deserve it.
                      Sunny

Comment

Get some more Bac in because whatever you decide to do after you will need some for a long tome to come.

The decision to stop drinking will come from within, all I can say is that drinking will not prevent that.

You sound so like me, "just want to get it over with already", it will be soon, As Sunny says "Hang in there". Your titration sounds normally erratic to me. Ha

Comment

What's up Isolde? Any developments. If you have difficulty typing, post a smilie!

Comment

ignominous;1015639 wrote: What's up Isolde? Any developments. If you have difficulty typing, post a smilie!
                            Ha ha, funny you should ask Ig. I was just coming here to post something on my thread and couldn't find it at first because I was looking too far down. Turns out that you bumped it up by posting first.
                            What I was coming here to post is this:

I'VE HIT THE SWITCH!!

At 155 mgs. And what a weird combination of factors surrounding this occasion. First was my conscious decision to decide just not to drink. It was easy, because I didn't really want to anyway. Secondly, the stressful situation that I have been alluding to here and there reached its apex the other night. Normally that would've sent me straight for the liquid medicine. But, well, I'd decided not to drink, and I didn't actually want it, so it was quite easy to just not really think about it. The only thing I thought about it was, "That's what I would have done before." I knew it would only make me feel a butt load worse though.
                            I've been AF for 4 days. It's not a ton of time under my belt, but as long as the indifference stays, I don't see why it wouldn't continue just going and going. The thing is, it's more than indifference - I actually think alcohol is kind of disgusting right now. Maybe it's because bac has been doing weird things to my stomach (making me nauseous if I don't eat reguarly for one, which I DON'T eat regularly when I am stressed or upset).
                            I'm not sure how long I should stay here. The SEs have been rough. Insomnia for one. Though I'm not sure how much that's the bac and how much it's the stressful situation. Though as I was titrating up, I went from sleeping like a rock to starting to toss and turn more at night and waking up early w/out being able to go back to sleep. It's amazing how not getting enough sleep can really make you feel physically sick.
                            I think the worst thing is the dehydration. That also makes it really hard to sleep. I drink water ALL day long and still feel dry. When I start to fall asleep, I feel the dryness in my throat like sandpaper (and up until the cold front that just came through, the humidity has been VERY high here). It's uncomfortable enough that I HAVE to take a sip of water. I go to bed with a very large glass full of water and it's always empty by the morning. This also leads to a lot of bathroom trips. VERY very annoying! Closed eye visuals are also back when I close my eyes to go to sleep. And oh my GOD, the ringing in my ears!! It's not that bad unless it's really quiet, then I hear the buzzing really loudly. It gets the loudest when I yawn, and even when I stretch. When I yawn, I actually cannot hear anything else but this damn brazen bell-like ringing/buzzing.
                            Assuming the insomnia doesn't stick around, I feel that I could stay at 155mgs for a little while longer. My family is well medicated, so I've got klonopin and xanax at my disposal to help me finally get some sleep. I'm really thinking that it's mostly the stressful and emotional situation that I'm dealing with that's causing that though.

I set up an app. with my doctor for Wednesday. I've got a bunch of stuff I need to talk to him about (haven't followed up with him on my high blood pressure in a few years!!), but baclofen is number one on the list. I don't know what my maintenance dose will end up being, but hopefully he'll be able to prescribe me an amount that will be enough w/what I have left of my stash (which is quite a lot!) that I should have plenty to take myself down to it at a nice slow, safe level.
                            I wanted to just stay off of BP meds, because I know that when I don't drink for a few days in a row, it goes down to a more normal level by itself. But the baclofen has made it shoot right up, and I'm sure the lack of sleep and stress hasn't helped the situation. I checked it the other day and it was 145/104. The upper number really isn't as bad as the lower (I always forget which is which, systolic, diastolic..). Luckily I had some bp meds leftover and it's lower now. Maybe I'll just have to get back on them until I get the bac down to a maintenance dose.
                            I'm also going to talk to him about an anti depressant. It's something I've been thinking about off and on over the years. I've been dealing with hard core bouts of depression for a long time now (usually at the worst they last only for a few days, but the general overall depression can go for months), but have heard such negative things about anti depressants that I didn't want to pursue that route. My dad is on Cymbalta and he gave me a few to help take the edge off over the next few days, and I already feel a positive difference. He said it's the only one he's ever been able to take (and he's tried just about all of them) that he doesn't have any bad side effects from. I did some reading up on it and it's also indicated for General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), which would be helpful. I thought that bac would help out w/that more, and it seemed to at the lower levels, but I think the SEs at the higher levels actually CAUSE more anxiety! :H

Ok, that was an incredibly lengthy response to a short question. I had a lot to say though! I'll keep y'all updated w/how I progress at the switch level and also what my doc has to say.

~Clutch

Comment

Yo Isolde
                              Think you'd better join me over on "what to do after the switch".
                              In retrospect and from the responses I've had I would have reduced 20mg the first time I realised I'd hit the switch
                              Thats great news
                              and CONGRATULATIONS

Comment

Working...
                              X