Bad Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Baclofen

After testifying over and over again for a year that I've never had any baclofen that was "bad" or more or less effective than others I'm going to eat my words.

Here are the brands of baclofen I've taken so far:

Name Manufacturer Strength Country of Origin

Baclan Yoo Young Pharmaceuticals 10mg Korea
    Liofen Sun Pharmaceuticals 25mg India
    Pacifen Pacific Pharmaceuticals 10mg New Zealand
    Baclofen AWD Pharma 25mg Germany
    Baclofen Aliud 25mg Germany
    Baclofen Neuraxpharm 25mg Germany
    Baclofen Upsh-Smith 20mg United States(??)
    Baclofen Northstar Rx LLC 20mg India (US Pharmacy)
    Baclofen Watson 20mg United States
    Lioresal Novartis 25mg Spain(??)

From late August through October I began suffering from intense headaches and intense carb cravings. I also had to increase my dose of baclofen as I would get these strange feelings like I wasn't taking enough. Not alcohol cravings mind you, they felt like baclofen withdrawals or even baclofen cravings. This threw me for a loop and I can't believe it took me so long to figure out.

I just kept on thinking "my pills were coming from a US pharmacy so it can't be them..." Bullsh!t.

The carb cravings I thought I was getting because I was so lean, like 9% body fat. When you are that lean you're body thinks you are starving and there is virtually none of the hormone leptin floating around in your blood and you feel like you could eat a horse. And I did. And when I put a little body fat back on the cravings didn't go away.

Finally I switched back to a foreign source of baclofen that I had stored away for emergencies and voila! All of my problems resolved within a couple of days. My dose went back down to normal. No more headaches or carb cravings. And no more feeling like I was craving baclofen or hadn't taken enough, this was the strangest and most troubling SE of all. There were more SE's too, a lot of them of the type that I hear described on here quite often: Profound somnolence, definite wooziness. Baclofen makes me groggy sometimes but this was intense and undeniable.

So I went to my pharmacist and told him I was having a bad reaction to the brand of pills I was getting and he switched me to Watson's right then and there and it seemed to work just fine. Who knows if it was the baclofen (the isomer or whatever) or something in the preparation (the fillers or preservatives) or just me (an allergy of some kind).

Whatever it was, my quality of life went WAAAY down.

The brand(s) that gave me difficulty were:

Baclofen Upsh-Smith 20mg United States(??)
    Baclofen Northstar Rx LLC 20mg India (US Pharmacy)

Both of them came from a US pharmacy and a legitimate prescription.

I've always disliked the witch hunts for bad baclofen but I'm fully prepared to admit now that I was incorrect. This shit was horrible and really made me feel like something was very, very wrong with me.
    :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
    :what?:
    sigpic
    Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
    A Forum
    Trolls need not apply

Bad Baclofen

The bac I had an allergy to was Upshire-Smith. It sucked. I take bac from Teva/Zenith (wal-greens default)

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Update: Watson made me feel heavily drugged, as though I smoked pot. I hate feeling stoned and I even had a few people comment to me that it looked like I had smoked pot.

I switched to TEVA, which is Walgreens default brand and have found it to give me the least side effects out of all of them I think.
      sigpic

A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Thanks Lo0p, that's how I feel on AWD and Vioridon brands. I'm buying online/overseas. I wonder if I can get TEVA online... sure would like some relief from the "pot" high....

Comment

Bad Baclofen

I'm pretty sure I do okay on Aliud, which you can get from Goldpharma. It also ships very fast (6-8 days to California).

I hesitate to vouch for anything but TEVA at this point though. Where are you located?
          sigpic

A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

Bad Baclofen

So Cal. I don't have an rx though.

Comment

Bad Baclofen

I don't see the brand you mention (aliud) at Goldpharma.....
              buy baclofen Other centrally acting agents medications from goldpharma

I also don't know if you can get TEVA anywhere except Walgreens and I'd need a RX for that.

Can you take a look? I'm dying to find a brand with fewer side effects.

Thanks in advance....

Comment

Bad Baclofen

buy baclofen al 25mg baclofen medications from goldpharma

25mg only, but it's easy to split. The tabs come so you can split it into quarters.
                sigpic

A Forum
                Trolls need not apply

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Thanks much, Lo0p, I'll try it and report back in a few weeks. :thanks:

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Bump for Alexan
                    sigpic

A Forum
                    Trolls need not apply

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Just another :bow to you LoOp. I am looking around to change pharmacies to see if I can get my costs down and just saved myself immeasurable trouble by calling around to find out exactly what brands each dispense. Now I know where not to go and where to have the good Dr. L call (or call him, as he seems to prefer.) :thanks:
                      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Bump. For people interested in different brands of baclofen, but not so much in my long-winded post where I put this link .

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Hi Redthread, I have read your success story, Happy for You, So - which Bac (from what pharmacy?) you found more helpful?

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Hmmm . . . this is a good memory exercise for me. I know that the 10 mg pills I took in the parking lot of the post office were in foil, so they must have come from alldaychemist. I also used Pacifen brand bac, and I've forgotten which pharmacy sells that, but it's in Vanatu??? Or some remote place I had never heard of before. Over time, it seemed as if Lioresal was a bit stronger than Pacifen. Then, being inordinately blessed with resources, I took my book from Dr. A., and print-outs of all of the studies that LoOp assimilated on the "Consolidated Baclofen Information" thread to a woman who was a student of mine before she became a D.O. This was maybe a year into my very successful baclofen journey. She prescribed 80 mg/day, and I made sure that the nearest pharmacy was dispensing "good" bac. Don't remember that brand, exactly, although I could check, if I were at home - which I'm not. So I used that, plus what I was buying from ADC. Then I bit the bullet and called Dr. Levin. He asked me to figure out how many pills/day I needed in order to continue my protocol, and I opted for a high number. Then, I left the country for a while and asked the pharmacy for a 3 month supply. When I returned, each time I re-filled my prescription, they gave me a 3 month supply. So let's just say that, for now, I'm bac-a-float;-). That brand is Teva, from Walgreens.

All that said, I think that the Pacifen was fine, but not as strong as the Lioresal or Teva; or whatever the other brand is that I get from the 80 mg/day script that I have from the local doc. But I did pay attention to LoOp's comments and made sure that I didn't buy the brands he had problems with. And, yes . . . 4 years later . . . baclofen works. I have a real, real life. Really! May it be so, for you!

Comment

Bad Baclofen

Home - Phoenix Research Labs I had great results with the Baclofen from here. If you prefer tablet form then I've also ordered from InHouse Pharmacy and that seems fine as well. It is Mylan brand from New Zealand.
                              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Working...
                              X