Introduction--feedback on Baclofen will be very helpful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Dr. L would have offered the Rx if he didn't think you needed it. He is a doc and his first duty is to help cure people. He seems to take that seriously. I think you are allowing a misplaced conscientiousness toward him to allow you to stall. is it possible that your addiction wants more time? What if something serious happens to you or someone else caused by your drinking? How conscientious is that? If you are inclined to recover do so now!
    Sunny

Comment

Thanks Sunny. I should just clarify that he didn't offer to prescribe for me--I just got the feeling that he would have, had I asked at the time. I'm just really uncomfortable calling him back, before our scheduled consultation, and asking him to prescribe. I promise that I'm not stalling, consciously at least.

Take care, and have a wonderful day, all of you.

Comment

Great plan. Also remember we spend a lot less money and make a lot more when we are AF!
        S

Comment

Sunnyvalenting;1017544 wrote: Great plan. Also remember we spend a lot less money and make a lot more when we are AF!
          S
          Ditto one thing that has struck me now I'm sober is how horrifying amount of money I have squandered on booze over the years.

Comment

seeking_serenity;1017115 wrote: I have a strong feeling that Baclofen will be my salvation. I am SO excited to try this drug.
            You will be your salvation. Baclofen will help you get there, but it's important to understand that Baclofen will help you get most of the way, you'll just have to find the rest of the way yourself.

Good luck SS. I ghost here most of the time, but this has really helped.

Comment

Longshot;1017689 wrote: You will be your salvation. Baclofen will help you get there, but it's important to understand that Baclofen will help you get most of the way, you'll just have to find the rest of the way yourself.

Good luck SS. I ghost here most of the time, but this has really helped.
              You always have to go it by yourself just a little
              The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.

Comment

I just reached him, and we now have a consultation date set for December 15th! Nine more days of this...I am so happy! For some reason, the idea of getting on Baclofen really caused my (already overwhelming) anxiety to go into high gear. I think my alcohol-addled brain realized that help was in sight, and went into "now now NOW" mode. I'm sure all of you can understand!

I'm terribly excited, and cannot wait to give you my progress reports. Bless you all, and thanks again for your support!

Comment

Improved plan of action. Good on you!
                  I realise there is an underlying cause of my anxiety taht needs to be addressed in order that I can truly be free.
                  If this is the case with you (which it may not be, in which scenario, please put this missive aside and label it as over zealousness on my part) it maybe a good time to start investigating that yourself now. You've got a week at least before the Bac.
                  Happy to see you're homing in on your goal.
                  Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

The anxiety may mostly be withdrawal cravings and discomfort. I have very little anxiety any more even on very low dose bac. Anxiety is a symptom of alcohol withdrawal and post acute withdrawal. It is hard to tell if it is primary until you have been AF for a long time (several months). Good plan. Stay well
                    Sunny

Comment

seeking_serenity;1018543 wrote: I think my alcohol-addled brain realized that help was in sight, and went into "now now NOW" mode. I'm sure all of you can understand!
                      Oh, I can completely understand!! When I had ordered my bac and was waiting for it to arrive, I put absolutely no effort at all in trying to be sober. It felt like I had better get my drinking in before the bac started going to work on me. I did the same exact thing before I started on Topamax a couple of years ago. I think that's a normal addict's response! Once I started putting in a bit of willpower though, amazing things began to happen.
                      Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
                      ~Clutch

Comment

Dear Isolde,

I totally understand what you're saying! But (and I should have clarified yesterday--I was so excited) that actually wasn't what I meant yesterday. I apologize for the confusion. I'll try to explain it better:

As soon as I came to these forums and discovered the existence of Baclofen, and realized that Dr. Levin could (and would) help me, my anxiety went into overdrive...or, possibly, I was more aware of that anxiety than ever before. I could see an end in sight with the Baclofen, and I couldn't (and still can't!) wait for it to be over. I'm DYING for some calm, and a good night's sleep. As soon as I had my initial appointment for a consultation with Dr. L (on the 29th), I couldn't stop thinking/obsessing about the thought that "the end is near." I actually haven't been drinking more--I've still maintained my "maintenance amount," which (at 8 drinks a night) is decidedly high...but I've been known to drink 24 beers a day. 8 drinks a day still allows me to function semi-normally.

What I meant by "now now NOW" was the realization that Baclofen (and that glorious sleep I've heard it promises) was in sight. I couldn't stand waiting, so I worked extra in order to be able to pay for my consultation for a sooner date (the 15th). I am so motivated to start bac RIGHT NOW! I'm totally counting down the days at this point. I apologize if I was implying that the appointment triggered me to drink more. The impending consultation did trigger some intense anxiety (but maybe I'm just more aware of the anxiety I've carried around for years? Who knows).

In any event, a week from tomorrow I have my consultation, and I'm so excited.

Thank you all so much again for your support

Comment

Ah, gotcha ss. Well, it sucks that your anxiety is kicking into over drive. Kind of odd considering that you see an end in sight! I know the desire to want to start RIGHT NOW! I couldn't wait for my first order from overseas to get here. Best of luck for your consultation next week! In the meantime, try to relax.
                          Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
                          ~Clutch

Comment

Thank you Isolde! I am very, very grateful that this forum exists. I fear I would have never found a way out of this mess without all of your success stories.

Comment

Whatis the difference between Bac and Nal?

I started on Naltrexone yesterday, curious about Bac, wanted to know the differences between the two?
                              Thanks for your advice! I'm a newbie to the forums.

Comment

JasmineSunrise, you might want to make a new thread for that question! I have no experience with either (yet), but this forum has some very knowledgeable members who could answer that question for you. Good luck, and welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X