Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction--feedback on Baclofen will be very helpful

Serenity,

Baclofen will not give you just a hand. It will push you to take a giant leap forward. From about 100 mg, I felt it was an all-in-one pill. Sleeping pill-antidepressionpill-anti alcoholpill. I dramatically reduced my consumption on alcohol. My psychiatrist told me that his other patients thought that that was good enough for them. I went for the switch and titrated up, untill today. SE's can be huge, but bareable. It brings you back to the point where you can make rational decisions again, not only with alcohol, but also facing al kinds of 'enemies'.
    I still keep 2 cold beers in my fridge just to test myself. Sometimes I take one, and I don't finish. Sometime I open one, and don't touch it. I play in pubs and restaurants, I play easily sober now. For me it is a magic pill, because it allows to break the circle that you are in, take a deep breath and work on solutions and take notice of past things. Only because of that, you should give it a real good try. By result I think I reached the switch, but since everone here says that you should 'know' tthe 'switch' I'm titrating up still. But I think there is no 'halleluja'-feeling for me since I'm on 375mg/d now and my personal maximum is 400 mg/d, which I'll reach tonight.I weigh 78 kilograms. I should strongly advice you to keep a MD in sight, and read as much as you can on WMO. You'll recognize a lot, and thereby worry less. My psychiatrist is making contact now with Dr. Levin, and I got his contactdata from WMO. Well, all I can say: go for it!
    Low

Comment

Thanks Low! Tonight will be my last (I hope) Bac-free night! I'm really excited.

Comment

Low. You sound like you're in a great place.

I think that one of the things that we as a group may have been doing contrary to Levin and OA's schedule is titrating up with a vengance to reach the switch. I'm now of the opinion (having decided that I had reached the switch at 250) that had I given it more time it would have dawned on me that I had reached the threshold (switch) dose much earlier.

I will be very interested to hear what your psych says after consulting Dr Levin. Hope you post it.
        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Ig,

I will post it when my psychiatrist has spoken to him. But for right now, he has only spoken to Dr. Levin's housekeeper. That was the day after told him about a Dr. levin, living in the USA, friend of Ameisen, prescribing high doses Bac. I see my psychiatrist next week, and knowing him, he will tell me probably how Levin's experiences are, and what his advice would be in my case.
          My psychiatrist knows everything about Bac only from what I tell him, and I get my 'knowledge' from WMO. I keep him very well-informed about the possible SE's, the new protocol, and of course my own experiences. Since I don't want him banned out of his professional organisation or losing his license, I suggested he should gain relevant information on high-doses Bac from his peers. Well, besides being a musician, an alcohol addict, I also finished my masterdegree in law So I figured he should make his actions, helping me that is, legally and professionaly 'acceptable'. He was by the way very thankful for my advise. And it gives him the oppurtunity to 'spread the word' to his professional peers.

I'm really anxious to hear what Dr. Levin told his collegae from the Netherlands

SE; I cannot keep my mails short.

grtz Low

Comment

Working...
          X