Progress thread for ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1523168 wrote: btw, some new science says lifting is just as effective as cardio. But again, whatev. I'm shooting for moving without sitting for 40 minutes.
    Lifting is better than cardio. It requires less time spent and keeps your metabolism raised for long after you are done working out, whereas with cardio, your metabolism goes way up while you're actually exercising, then drops back to normal when you are done. Compound lifts with free weights are the best. 3 days a week, always taking at least one rest day between lifting days. Avoid exercise machines and isolation exercises.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

man on mars;1523170 wrote: Avoid exercise machines and isolation exercises.
      The beauty of the isolated quote. Consider it done Mars.

Ne, why don't you try going up more than just a little bit, just to see if it is caused by too little baclofen. If it is, you have solved your problem, and if it isn't, you have eliminated a potential cause.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1523168 wrote: Did you miss the part about the two packs of cigarettes and the lack of food? 30 minutes of cardio feels like it will take years and 80% HR right now may send me into some sort of paroxysm. Or not. We'll see. btw, some new science says lifting is just as effective as cardio. But again, whatev. I'm shooting for moving without sitting for 40 minutes. ...
        Sheesh. I'm probably the only one around here who is ...no joking...s-e-r-i-o-u-s ...about exercise.

Not surprising. Buncha drunks.

It works for me so well that I would really...really...rather run than sit on bleep's perfect sofa.

Anyway, as in all exercise, 80% (or whatever) is just the goal. Start where you are comfortable. Baby steps. Aim for the goal. But just start.

Weights vs. cardio? Not sure it matters. Cardio works. Endorphins are good. Just do it.

Cassander

(Its like I just discovered emoticons... )
        With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hi Ne -saying hello---how did the workout go? I am headed to the gym now and this will mark this first time in three months. Anyway, your post is a motivator.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I know I am beginning to be a bit of a broken record on the subject, but exercise is really really important. Especially for those of us who have quit drinking. Bleep -- you are so very entertaining and good natured and thoughtful that I never ever (neva eva?) want to disagree with you, but here I must. I might even go so far as to say that you might have been able to stay off bac altogether and still moderate had you also been regularly exercising. But exercise isn't only good because of what it helps you not do...exercise is a positive good that simply makes life BETTER. I think it is especially desirable for (former) alcoholics because it helps build a new and better and fuller life without alcohol.

Here's a link to a series of essays in today's New York Times which seems pertinent:

Addicted to Endorphins - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

I don't agree with everything the several authors say, but it is all food for thought.

Cassander
            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Lots to respond to here, but I would like to respond to Cassander's most recent post.

There are several differences between the way I feel now and the way I felt way back when I was newly sober. Many of them are positive. Some of them are negative. Like the fact that I often feel completely overwhelmed. And find that I don't get as much done as I'd like. And sometimes I'm just aaaaaaaaaaargh. Normal, right?

When I was newly sober I rode that pink cloud hard. Between Sobriety with a capital S, and the fact that there was a bit of bac-induced zoom-zoom, I was outrageously happy for months. (Pink cloud is an AA term meaning that the world is the most lovely, lively beautiful place ever. Everything goes the way you want it to when you're on that lovely cloud. Not my first experience with it, by any stretch. This time it lasted a looong time, because I was [and am] still willingly, happily sober.)

Hayzeus, way to belabor the point.

I exercised yesterday. Guess what? wooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo. Got so much done. Fell into bed at 9:30 because I couldn't keep my eyes open. Woke at 4am (yay!) and today looks like another really good one, 'cause I got a free pass from school for the entire day, and I came home and broke a sweat. Exercise works. just sayin'

Thanks for the gentle (repeated :H) reminders, Cass. (oh, and btw, I'm not getting anywhere near 80% of my max heart rate, or lifting anything heavy. I'm just moving. Gotta start somewhere.)

Comment

Progress thread for ne

NE-CASS-KRONK--You and others exert a lot influence (as I'm sure you know) around this forum and I am grateful as a newbie.

Before Baclofen, I was at least exercising one to two hours a day (in between pass outs- playing racquetball). Once I started BAC and stopped drinking, ALL exercise went to hell. At first, I think I was protesting not drinking and then that turned into really enjoying the new found freedom that baclofen had brought to me (researching, working, observing, etc.) -BUT NO PHYSICAL exertion.

ONLY after listening to you folks and making the decision to go..go..do something, that I did and I went hiking. I had no idea how much three months of virtual inactivity had so negatively impacted me. All the way from depression to stiff neck problems to lack of motivation. I got a long ways to go but it was a start.
                At least my weight is not way out way out of bounds.

I think the main negative drawback for me and exercise right now is that I am not receiving that positive euphoric rush that I use to get after exercising. I hope this will return after some more time of baclofen use as my system continues to adjust? Please comment on your experience.

With this said, CASS/NE there is no way to over emphasize the importance of exercise --ESPECIALLY TO NEWCOMERS (I got so caught up in the mental mess and ignored other parts). Please keep bringing it up. Cass, keep being a broken record. Recovery is a multi-faceted process; just putting the booze down and taking some medications is only the beginning (as you all know). EXERCISE(physical), Nutrition, Mental (therapy,etc), other, are all an integral part of re-inventing a new content-sober life.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1523736 wrote: Lots to respond to here, but I would like to respond to Cassander's most recent post.

There are several differences between the way I feel now and the way I felt way back when I was newly sober. Many of them are positive. Some of them are negative. Like the fact that I often feel completely overwhelmed. And find that I don't get as much done as I'd like. And sometimes I'm just aaaaaaaaaaargh. Normal, right?

When I was newly sober I rode that pink cloud hard. Between Sobriety with a capital S, and the fact that there was a bit of bac-induced zoom-zoom, I was outrageously happy for months. (Pink cloud is an AA term meaning that the world is the most lovely, lively beautiful place ever. Everything goes the way you want it to when you're on that lovely cloud. Not my first experience with it, by any stretch. This time it lasted a looong time, because I was [and am] still willingly, happily sober.)

Hayzeus, way to belabor the point.

I exercised yesterday. Guess what? wooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo. Got so much done. Fell into bed at 9:30 because I couldn't keep my eyes open. Woke at 4am (yay!) and today looks like another really good one, 'cause I got a free pass from school for the entire day, and I came home and broke a sweat. Exercise works. just sayin'

Thanks for the gentle (repeated :H) reminders, Cass. (oh, and btw, I'm not getting anywhere near 80% of my max heart rate, or lifting anything heavy. I'm just moving. Gotta start somewhere.)
                  Love your digressions, Ne. Its what makes you...you.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Back to business.

Here's another way of looking at the whole picture.

All baclofen does (if it works for you) is suppress the craving. It allows you to choose not to drink. I say "all it does", but this is huge. It cures the addiction.

However, this leaves the former* alcoholic exactly where the rest of the world is. If there was childhood trauma, there is still childhood trauma. If there was social anxiety, there is still social anxiety. If there were fundamental work or family or health issues...well, you get the point.

I like to say that modern, post-industrial life in the so-called developed world ain't easy. There is plenty of evidence that we live with more stress, less family support, and greater job insecurity than (some of) our predecessors or cousins in other societies. All of this can be unsettling, to say the least, and it can lead to addictive behaviors and...well, addictions.

I certainly don't have all the answers but my game plan is to find balance, not only in my brain chemistry, but in my life, through proper exercise, diet, nutrition, sleep, family life, engagement with others, meaningful work and spiritual contentment.

Notice I left out money, status and power and control over others. I really don't think they matter. I mean you need enough money to put food on the table, a shirt on your back and a roof over your head (and to buy a toy now and again) but money is not the point. I don't know if this resonates with any of you...I hope it does.

I often read here about a kind of emptiness that arises when our friend AL is removed from the equation. I think this is the emptiness that confronts us all, especially when we are not masking it with addictive behavior...whether it be substance abuse, or work abuse, or shopping abuse. I think it is a big mistake to blame baclofen. All bac does is let Toto pull the curtain down from in front of the Mighty Oz. At the end of the day we are left looking at ourselves in the mirror.

What are we going to do with, what are we going to make of...this life?

_______
                    * I say former because I reject the AA view of the world that once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. Anymore than a person with pneumonia who is cured by an antibiotic still has pneumonia. I don't know whether I am necessarily right in this conclusion, but I stand by it.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hey Cass, I would have responded earlier, but I had no energy to. You see, I thought I would try this running thing, so that I could argue from a position of strength on the topic. When I eventually made it back home, against the odds, I hasten to add, I was in no position to do anything at all, let alone from the hoped for position of strength. It was perhaps made worse by the fact that I had to make a detour, which added a significant length to the run, and at a pace I had definitely not planned on, caused by the presence of a very large black dog, whose owner was nowhere to be seen, and in fact most likely had just been eaten, judging by the size of the hound. I would have thought that having just had a meal, he would have been somewhat lethargic, but there was little evidence of sloth as he ran toward me. As I was just about to lie down on the grass and die anyway when this happened, I was in no condition for the hasty getaway the situation clearly required, and no negotiations appeared possible. Nor was there a tree handy.

It is now about 24 after the fact, and I have almost recovered. I have had hangovers last less time than this. As I ran, I pictured my couch, which has never tried to eat me, although it gives the impression of swallowing me whole every time I lie down in it.

That said, I will be going the same route tonight. I plan to walk it, slowly, so that I am brimming over with energy when the hellhound makes an appearance. I plan to run right at him, taser him first in the eye, and then on the nuts, and then leisurely make my way home. I haven't yet decided what tune I will whistle on the return journey, and am open to suggestions.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Reminds me of the old bull and the young bull half way up a hillside when the young bull looks down and sees a field of cows.

Young bull: "Hey, look at all those cows. Let's run down a fuck a few.

Old bull: "I've got a better idea. Let's walk down and fuck all of them.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Colin;1524059 wrote: Reminds me of the old bull and the young bull half way up a hillside when the young bull looks down and sees a field of cows.

Young bull: "Hey, look at all those cows. Let's run down a fuck a few.

Old bull: "I've got a better idea. Let's walk down and fuck all of them.
                          Your joke reminds me of "old nag" and "glue factory."
                          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Bleep, whenever you talk about such mundane things as neighbors and their dogs it really destroys my mental image of your family living in a safe oasis surrounded by lions and tigers and bears (oh my!). Please stop.

Stuck, did you get a Capresso? I love mine. It's 10 years old. About two years ago I destroyed the electrical parts when I overfilled it. I sent it off and they fixed it brand new-ish. I used to grind and do the whole making sure each cup was hot and yummy and just...balanced or whatever. Until I started drinking coffee the way I used to drink wine. Now I order the coffee in bulk, preground, from Amazon.

Wait. Was that on this thread or elsewhere? Anyway.

Cass, hmmmm. I hear you. But...How normal am I (are we) after the fact? Careful what you answer, it's a lose-lose.

Later peeps.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hope you're well Reg!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

bleep;1524022 wrote: Hey Cass, I would have responded earlier, but I had no energy to. You see, I thought I would try this running thing, so that I could argue from a position of strength on the topic. When I eventually made it back home, against the odds, I hasten to add, I was in no position to do anything at all, let alone from the hoped for position of strength. It was perhaps made worse by the fact that I had to make a detour, which added a significant length to the run, and at a pace I had definitely not planned on, caused by the presence of a very large black dog, whose owner was nowhere to be seen, and in fact most likely had just been eaten, judging by the size of the hound. I would have thought that having just had a meal, he would have been somewhat lethargic, but there was little evidence of sloth as he ran toward me. As I was just about to lie down on the grass and die anyway when this happened, I was in no condition for the hasty getaway the situation clearly required, and no negotiations appeared possible. Nor was there a tree handy.

It is now about 24 after the fact, and I have almost recovered. I have had hangovers last less time than this. As I ran, I pictured my couch, which has never tried to eat me, although it gives the impression of swallowing me whole every time I lie down in it.

That said, I will be going the same route tonight. I plan to walk it, slowly, so that I am brimming over with energy when the hellhound makes an appearance. I plan to run right at him, taser him first in the eye, and then on the nuts, and then leisurely make my way home. I haven't yet decided what tune I will whistle on the return journey, and am open to suggestions.
                                bleepster -- excellent start. You are definitely getting with the program. Not only will exercise make your muscles grow, chisel your abs and make you irresistible to the fair(er) sex, but it will finally make a real man of you, too! Never again will you fear man's best friend, those sweet adorable little puppies, on your jogging route..In fact the whole exercise program is a little bit like titting up, er, titration...lots of (mostly imaginary) SEs, and then when you get there...Nirvana...on earth. You'll see! best, Cass

Comment

Working...
                                X