Progress thread for ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

While I'm at it, I'll throw in this little tidbit of information. Take it as you will.

My father owned health clubs when I was growing up. I played racquetball competitively for a little while. We worked out together as a family. ha! Funny to remember that now. Took long hikes on the weekend, did all sorts of aerobic exercise, didn't own a tv until I was 9 or so...

Point being, I was an early adopter and long time partaker of physical exercise. Did NOT stop the disease from taking over my brain, body and life.

Dad's still extremely active. His hobbies are other people's careers and most of them are physical. (His most recent? About 10 years ago he decided to become some sort of sailboat captain and now teaches--teaches!--sailing at the USNA in Annapolis. Every summer he takes a bunch of plebes or whatever they're called, [second year students] and sails them in a race to Bermuda on one of those super-fast sailboats.) He rides, he shoots, he swims, he pilots, he skis, he has a 40-acre second home that he cares for himself. His golf game is pretty damn good, too. And he walks.

Oh, and he makes a ton of money simply so he can afford to do whatever he wants. So he works really, really hard. And he hasn't worked for anyone else since he was about 30.

Guess what else he is and always has been? An alcoholic. His dad was an alcoholic. So was his mom. His mom's dad was an alcoholic and his dad's dad was an alcoholic. So is my brother.

Baclofen. It's unique. And dangerous. And a miracle. To equate that life-giving, possibly soul-crushing change with any other is to misunderstand the whole thing.

just sayin'

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Three years ago this month I stopped drinking against my will.

I made a lot of goals that month. One of them was to spend time with my grandmother. We've always been close, but I rarely saw her in spite of the fact that we live only 30 minutes apart. I decided to see her weekly for lunch, regardless of anything else. I know that she initially believed that I begrudgingly spent time with her. I wanted to be able to express with actions the truth of how I really felt about her. And I wanted to stop letting her down. It wasn't selfless, though. I really enjoy her company.

She's dying now. The ways in which I can be present for her, and for my extended family, are a gift. These are things that are uniquely mine, no one else could do them the way I do them. If I was still a drunk, they wouldn't happen.

More than that, though, I am proud and humbled and excruciatingly grateful that for the last three years I could do what I wanted, when I wanted and what other people expected. I highly recommend it. Sobriety is a beautiful life. Who knew?

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1627797 wrote: Three years ago this month I stopped drinking against my will.

I made a lot of goals that month. One of them was to spend time with my grandmother. We've always been close, but I rarely saw her in spite of the fact that we live only 30 minutes apart. I decided to see her weekly for lunch, regardless of anything else. I know that she initially believed that I begrudgingly spent time with her. I wanted to be able to express with actions the truth of how I really felt about her. And I wanted to stop letting her down. It wasn't selfless, though. I really enjoy her company.

She's dying now. The ways in which I can be present for her, and for my extended family, are a gift. These are things that are uniquely mine, no one else could do them the way I do them. If I was still a drunk, they wouldn't happen.

More than that, though, I am proud and humbled and excruciatingly grateful that for the last three years I could do what I wanted, when I wanted and what other people expected. I highly recommend it. Sobriety is a beautiful life. Who knew?
        Nice post Ne. Sorry to hear about your grandmother's condition. To have made a commitment to see your grandmother at least once a week -and then keep that commitment is huge (or at least it would be for me).

Congrats on the three years -did you ever even think that would be possible? Thanks for expressing your gratitude.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I think that it's the ability to be truly present for the people that we care about that is the best part of beating addiction, at least it is for me. Congratulations on 3 years, I had to look back through all of your posts to realize that I missed the actual day - what a lout I am.
          -tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Where would we be without pathfinders like ne and terryk who have both found their way out with baclofen and stuck around to help and support those who have followed. Your contributions are hugely appreciated. Thank you.
            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne,

Congrats on your 3 years and all the ways your life has changed.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Thank you all. It really is pretty momentous. The fact that I can experience this without needing to self-medicate is pretty miraculous. It is intense.

Thank you, Spirit for your thoughts about my Grandmother. Not only did I not think it possible way back then, I think it took about a year for it to really sink in!

Tk, I forget the day, too. The 4th maybe? I used to use it for my password to everything so I remembered. When I stopped being a hacker's dream and changed all my passwords I started to forget all my important dates! ha! Special thanks to you, as you were and are an inspiration, a huge help, and a tremendous support from the very beginning. (Well, almost from the beginning. After you stopped ignoring me. )

xo friends. I hope it's a good day.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Congrats on 3 years!! That is huge and it's great motivation for us newbies. I think it was you that also had your husband find freedom with Bac? (I read your thread) That's very encouraging to me. And....what??-people ignore people on here??? I have so many questions-let me know if you-or any other Bac veteran would like to "sponsor" me. I'd love to have a go-to for all my questions.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

May your grandmother find some peace and comfort, with your presence, on her journey to the other side. :l

And it is the 4th.
                    This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Comment

Progress thread for ne

StuckinLA;1628103 wrote:
                        Nice work!!!!!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I'm sorry about your Grandmother Ne.

:l:l

Sam

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Stuck: :H:H:H Love it.

Yourfriend6116;1628081 wrote: people ignore people on here??? I have so many questions-let me know if you-or any other Bac veteran would like to "sponsor" me. I'd love to have a go-to for all my questions.
                            I used ignore as a joke. That said, some people are busier than I was back in the day and I was rather persistent. That's a good approach if you see something on here that you feel connects you to someone. I'm a bit burned out and bitter about this whole online thing for the foreseeable future. And my figurative cup overflows now that my literal wine glass is empty. By all means, take heart in my story, if it works for you! It works, I swear it.

redhead77;1628092 wrote: May your grandmother find some peace and comfort, with your presence, on her journey to the other side. :l
                            Thank you, Red. I'm working hard to make sure that happens. I love her so much I'm fierce with it and so thankful that I know what I know so I can help the ways I know you would understand.

Samandkatharine;1628143 wrote:
                            I'm sorry about your Grandmother Ne.

:l:l

Sam
                            Thanks, Sam.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

For the sleuths looking for truths...

Anyone here remember the story about the chick who woke up in the hospital just as her family was about to pull the plug? They thought she was brain dead, but it was just a massive baclofen overdose. It's posted on here, of course, but probably easier to just do a google search.

Anyone read Redthread's account of Lo0p's illness on the other forum?

Also, somewhere around here the troll posted that benzodiazepine overdose is rare and doesn't really kill people. He (and you) might want to google that. If memory serves (and it does) one of the numbers is that 27.9% of overdose deaths in the United States is attributable to benzodiazepines.

Finally, someone please for the love of all good things, google which drugs are under patent and which are not. Also, the ways in which doctors are rewarded or encouraged to prescribe drugs might be a good google search. 'Cause the facts belie the level of concern about these issues on this small corner of the internet. The facts are that all of the meds we generally talk about on here are generic. Gabapentin. SSRIs. SNRIs. The one exception that I can think of is Modafinil, which is still under patent in the United States, but not in the entire rest of the world.

Docs don't make a dime off of their prescriptions. In fact, they know if they prescribe something that isn't generic their patients are much less likely to take it. If anything, the problem is that they don't care whether or not you take what they prescribe! They have absolutely no investment on whether or not you fill a prescription. None.

Happy hunting.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Oh, Chantix is still patented and costs a bloody fortune. At least I think it's a fortune!

Comment

Working...
                                X