Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

And in new developments...

Ed is snoring away on the couch. I'm glad he's still breathing. He's lucky he isn't sleeping in the shed. (He'd be in the dog house, if we had a dog house. Of course, if we had a dog house it would be a palatial extravaganza with servants and down comforters.)

We stopped to chat with some neighbors when we were walking the beloved Goose (dog) last night. They invited us in for a drink and to see the renovations they're working on. About half way into my drink, I was already looking for an escape, but Ed was clearly enjoying himself so he stayed after I made my excuses and bolted for bed.

I was asleep before I'd shut the front door, and woke up at 1:30 am alone. Some of you might remember that last year Ed went out with some coworkers and had to be rescued because he was too drunk to manage life. And the year before that, under similar circumstances, he drove home so drunk that he got lost and couldn't even tell me where to find him. (Thank all that matters for providence and for GPS that he was still whole when I finally did reach him.)

Needless to say, even for those fortunate enough not to have alcoholism, these things are extremely alarming. (Ha. What an understatement.) They take on a whole new tenor for us, though. I won't live in the shadow of booze anymore, even (especially) if it's cast by someone else. On the other hand, I don't really blame him. Ya' know? It's what we do, and we can't help it. His off switch is broken.

That said, I am fucking furious. Obviously. At 1:30 in the morning I got dressed and went over and knocked on the garage-turned-"redneck bar". (That's what my neighbor calls it. I already mentioned that these are not ever going to be close friends, right? Anyway.) Neighbor answered, Ed peering at me from behind him, and said he'd make sure he got home safely. OHMYGAWD. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose husband makes drunken eye contact and doesn't even acknowledge he's lost his mother-fucking-mind.

So I went home and planned to exact some sort of horrible revenge before I got a grip and called and told him, and the neighbor, that he needed to drag his drunk-ass home and go to sleep. But not in my bed.

Clearly the take-away is that it's all the dog's fault. And that I need a much larger life insurance policy on him. Because if he doesn't kill himself I might have to do the job for him. (That's a joke, internet peeps. I'm not murderous. You can't spend gobs of money from jail!)

More later.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

mycall;1657420 wrote: Hi there,
      I was starting to read your thread but then realised how massive it is!
      I just wanted to ask - did you ultimately get the desired results?
      I have Baclofen here and have dabbled in the past - but want to make a real commitment. Side effects are slightly worrying (tiredness, odd aches and pains) but bearable if the outcome is success.

I have recently lost my husband of 26 years, and am really wanting to knock the booze on the head in order to be a good parent to my two daughters (they're grown up really 23 and 25) as I don't want to risk them losing a second parent.

I'm sorry if this is 'oversharing' but feeling desperate and know you have a lot of experience and valuable information - having given Baclofen such a long trial
      Thanks in advance, Jules
      p.s - tried to send as a private message but said you'd exceeded storage or something similar.
      Hi, Jules. Despite my most recent post the answer is a resounding yes. Baclofen did work for me and for my husband. That doesn't mean it's easy or that alcoholism isn't a wily disease.

Baclofen is a big commitment. I can't really recommend it enough, though, since it's worked miracles in my life. I'd tried for a couple of decades to get sober and be happy about it. Baclofen was the only thing that worked, and it still feels truly miraculous that I'm free from thoughts about booze. So free that I can't imagine what it was like to feel like I used to about booze. The side effects, when taken into perspective and compared with daily hangovers and compulsive drinking, seem to me to be a small price to pay. But I had a tough time, and suggest that if you go this route, you take it slow and steady with about 3-4 months to get the deed done.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Much as I want to kill my husband right now, I would be...Well. I figure you know how I would be if I lost him.

My thread is unmanageable, as are private messages, so this is the best way to reach me. If there is one lesson, though, it's that I am the queen of over-sharing. Your going to have to work hard to win that title.

I hope you find a way out, and soon. Life is not without struggle, but it's a whole helluva lot better without the burden of slavery to the bottle. Let me know how I can help.

Good luck and hang in there.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Haha - I think I'll take a step back and let you retain your title

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You have given me much hope. I had noticed, even at a low dose, a slight indifference to the booze. I now feel ready to go full pelt and really commit.

Hang onto that hubby of yours - however frustrating life can be with 'em, its a thousand times worse without them

Thanks again x

Comment

Progress thread for ne

mycall;1657449 wrote: Haha - I think I'll take a step back and let you retain your title

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. You have given me much hope. I had noticed, even at a low dose, a slight indifference to the booze. I now feel ready to go full pelt and really commit.

Hang onto that hubby of yours - however frustrating life can be with 'em, its a thousand times worse without them

Thanks again x
          Oh, I'll hang onto him alright. With rope. At knifepoint.

You're welcome. My pleasure. Take good care and keep in touch. :l

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hi Ne,

I stopped by MWO, and was thrilled to see your thread up and you talking. It's early here, and I haven't even had my first cup of coffee, but just had to tell you. I'm enjoying your openness and insight!

Good morning to you. I hope you have a lovely day! :l
            This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Thanks, Red. You too!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hi Ne, I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the comments on my thread, I really appreciate your posts on MWO. It's appreciated! Hope you have a great day and week!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Kevin Breel: Confessions of a depressed comic | Talk Video | TED.com

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I haven't listened to any of the podcasts, but I did take a cursory look at the website. Upon initial inspection, I am surprised to say that I don't hate it. :H (Most of the time these recovery sites just irritate the bejeeesus out of me because they're full of crap. In my humble opinion of course. )

Thanks, Spirit. I'll check out the podcasts later this week. Hope you're well!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

skullbabyland;1657947 wrote: Hi Ne, I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for the comments on my thread, I really appreciate your posts on MWO. It's appreciated! Hope you have a great day and week!
                      Thanks, Skull. You too.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

We buried the Beloved Goose yesterday. She's the dog in my avatar, and the one in my heart. For all that I've loved our other dogs, the fostered ones and the ones we kept, she was the one who moved in and owned me. She was, for you Alice Walker fans, my familiar.

She was a husky mix that looked too much like a Jindo to be coincidence. She came to us scared of noise, men, change, her shadow, grass growing...Ed changed her mind about what men offer, and she grew to love the grass and her own life, but she always had quirky, visceral reactions to certain noises. Like the sound of a fishing pole being cast. Which was very funny, except when you stopped to think about why that whipping sound scared her.

She was turned into the rescue organization because her former owners couldn't keep her contained. She even managed to escape a chain wrapped around her neck and attached to the dog house. She only tried to escape from us once, but I've seen her scale a 6-foot privacy fence just because she could. She waited on the other side until I breathlessly caught up.

So we stopped trying to contain her, and just taught her what we needed her to do in order for us to be happy. And while her primary goal in life was to have a happy-Ne, that didn't mean she was a spiritless, spineless wimp. Oh no. She demanded as good as she gave, and that meant she got what she needed to be not just happy on occasion but content with her life. It meant that if she felt I was being unreasonable, she ignored me. She'd wait at the corner, but if I was dilly-dallying and it was walk time, she came back to nudge me forward. She learned not to dash at strangers, but I couldn't keep her from politely checking them out. I'll never forget nor can I understand how she knew to be so gentle with the city kids who were scared of dogs.

And toward the end, that meant an orthopedic bed and dinner served warm and not out of a can. Lots of naps in sunny places or cool ones.

We buried her at my parent's house on the eastern shore of Maryland. It was her favorite place in the world, and ours too. We gloried in her speed and agility and sheer joy of the chase.

The best thing about her death is that she had cirrhosis and she didn't have to suffer endlessly. It was brutal while it lasted, and I can appreciate the irony. I'm glad she was spared worse.

Peace my friends.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Oh, this makes me sad! I am glad she's resting content and happy and that she had such a happy life with you, but gosh darn it, I hate losing dogs. Been there. So painful. :heart:

Comment

Progress thread for ne

beckty;1662657 wrote: Oh, this makes me sad! I am glad she's resting content and happy and that she had such a happy life with you, but gosh darn it, I hate losing dogs. Been there. So painful. :heart:
                            Thanks, Becky. No doubt about it, it sucks. The good news is that the last three years of her life, when we were sober, were even better than the first 11 years. And I haven't had a drink about it! Or even thought about that, until now. That kind of thinking just doesn't exist anymore. And that, THAT is a hugely positive thing.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Oh Ne!

I just lost my post and I don't have time (as usual) to rewrite it. Know that I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved Goose. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm glad you're coping with this the best you can (sober!), and that baclofen continues to work its miracle in your life.

That's all for now. :l

Much Love,
                              Redhead
                              This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne, I'm so sorry about Goose. He looks like such a beautiful dog, and sounds like you gave him a wonderful life. He was lucky to have you guys to live and travel with
                                So sorry to hear but wonderful the loss is not making you reach for booze. Best thoughts to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X