• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baclofenman View Post
    It would be more interesting to see the official source of this "evidence"

Regards

Bacman
    Who needs evidence? I mean, 97.6% of what you read on the internet is true, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ne/Neva Eva View Post
      Who needs evidence? I mean, 97.6% of what you read on the internet is true, right?
      Infact, I have just been to the pub for my supper

Ted, the local drunk told me that in fact it was true about the nurses stuff, so I guess I am wrong on that call

Regards

Bacman
      I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
      Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritfree
        I am certainly not a nurse, but I always ended up trying to help others, regardless of the harm that it was doing to me.
        I can believe you are not a nurse although given your form I wouldn't bet on it but the remainder of the sentence ....

Comment

Hi Bacman -Please understand that I realize that you are still under the heavy influence of alcohol (per your own admittance), and I am very sorry that you are still having to fight the 'demon'.
          Another statement lacking in any evidence what so ever

My post about nurses was and is to Ne, not to you.
          What a load of tosh - It was an allegation against the medical profession per se - Totally unsubstantiated, you have failed to back up you (rather serious) claims

The rest of your words are quite frankly, rubbish

Back up you allegations or retract

Regards

Jod
          Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

A study of 34 nurses in Virginia explored factors underlying alcoholism in nurses.
            Despite the acknowledged prevalence of substance abuse among nurses, supervisors and co-workers of impaired nurses have little understanding of impairment or of how to constructively address the problem. A study of 34 nurses in Virginia explored factors underlying alcoholism in nurses. The study rev …

A concusive and widespread research article then - How many nurses are there in Virginia?

How about teachers? - Do you have information on them Spirit?

When contemplating the legal and ethical issues surrounding employment of an alcoholic nurse, nursing administrators are challenged with recognizing and upholding the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)-related civil rights of their employees while ensuring the quality of care provided by the practitioners in their facility.
            When contemplating the legal and ethical issues surrounding employment of an alcoholic nurse, nursing administrators are challenged with recognizing and upholding the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)-related civil rights of their employees while ensuring the quality of care provided by the prac …

Likewise, this is relevent to any employer - FFS - Delete nurse and replace with Aviation licensee

(Ne, rarely do I post information that is not backed up by legitimate sources. I do not always post my sources, but I do not post information that is possibly false with the intention of hurting anyone -and I think that you already know this.)
            Bollox - All your information says what you think it says but in reality all it does by your interpretating is make you look stupid

Regards

Bacman

Comment

Ne -Bacman is going to bat for you and you need to publicly praise him for his efforts. Please?
              This must be an "Americanism"

I dont understand what it means

Regards

Bacman

Comment

Hi Bacman -Please understand that I realize that you are still under the heavy influence of alcohol (per your own admittance), and I am very sorry that you are still having to fight the 'demon'.

--sf--
                That reminds me, actually, it's very, very close to 100 days for you, isn't it Bacman? I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget, but then who knows where that bit of paper ended up. I should know better than to use pen and paper...If it ain't on my phone or the computer, I'm going to lose it...

We'll have to have a little party for you when you hit the mark, though. So don't let me forget!!! :hug:

Oh, and just because you're a tiny bit older does not mean you're wiser. Obviously. Just sayin'.

blah, blah, blah...A study of 34 nurses in Virginia explored factors underlying alcoholism in nurses. blah, blah, blah
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3130599
                Dear Spirit,
                We are ALL very clear that you are incapable of distinguishing a legitimate source of information from nonsense. But once again, I'll try to help you...

Any study done on just a very few people, (like 34), in one general location, (like one state) cannot be extended to generalizations about the entire population. It's called extrapolation. Here's one definition, though there are much more specific connotations when one is talking about extrapolating data in research. Anyway, here's the wiki reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrapolation
                A sound choice of which extrapolation method to apply relies on a prior knowledge of the process that created the existing data points. Some experts have proposed the use of causal forces in the evaluation of extrapolation methods.[2] Crucial questions are, for example, if the data can be assumed to be continuous, smooth, possibly periodic etc.

In order to extrapolate to a large group, say the general population, you have to have a VERY substantial body of data. Not one based on 34 people. From one state.

(Ne, rarely do I post information that is not backed up by legitimate sources.
                That's just ridiculous, Spirit. You do it all the time. Here's one example from today:

•There are an estimated 40,000 nurses in the U.S. experiencing alcoholism.

•Pediatric and emergency nurses reported a higher use of cocaine than other specialties.

•Oncology nurses reported the highest overall drug use – for all substances combined.

•Binge drinking was highest among oncology, emergency, and critical care nurses.

*** Not surprising......why?........ 83% of nurses are adult children of alcoholics.

Alcoholism is a genetic disease.

So MANY adult children of alcoholics go into the helping professions....especially nursing.

75-80% of helping professionals in the U.S. under the age of 55 are adult children of alcoholics.

60% of physicians (who are U.S.-born) under the age of 55 are first-born children of alcoholics.
                Originally posted by Baclofenman View Post
                Back up you allegations or retract
                Bacman, why would he start now? He's been posting rubbish for years.

Which is one of the reasons that we MUST remain on My Way Out in order to make sure that misinformation (or blatant lies) perpetuated by Spiritfree do not mislead people. It could, in a very real way, lead to harm to the people who come here looking for legitimate support and real, factual information about how to treat alcoholism.

Comment

Oh! I see that we've been cross-posting. Bacman made the same points, but much more concisely than I did.

Maybe you ARE wiser, bacman? Ha. Just kidding. I will admit that you are much less verbose, which in this case is a good thing. My post is just way too long for anyone, much less Spiritfree, to actually read it.

Dinner time. Hope you guys have a good night (or day, if you're down under).

Comment

Bacman - I backed up my claims.
                    Now, I will back up your claim, since you have already stalked me, my family, and my location: I am no where near the Canadian border and I am very thankful for this fact.

Yah!
                    Backed up?

Is that what you call backed up?

A poll of 34 nurses and a paper that could apply to any profession, anywhere - Have you bothered reading any more than the Abstract? -

I must also add that I still dont get your point on this? - Ok so you recon Ne is not in sober enough state to join a bunch of people, who in your opinion are...Basically the same as you claim she is? - I know cohesion is not your forte but this is contradictory in the extreme

As I mentioned before, finding limp documentation and offering it a cast iron evidence will come back to bite you on the arse

Comment

I have been in communication with administrators of My Way Out forum ...
                      How, exactly, did you manage that? And if you did, and they happen to stop by,

Dear Administrator(s) and/or Owner(s) of MyWayOut,

Once again, thank you for creating this space. I credit the help and support I got from fellow members of MWO for 4 years of contented sobriety. That was back when the forum was moderated, though. Now? Not so much. So with all due respect:

HELLO! A LITTLE HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

If you are under the impression that Spiritfree, formerly known as Spiritwolf333, is being somehow persecuted, PLEASE take the time to read some of his many derogatory, mean-spirited, malicious posts.

If you need a list, we would be happy to provide one. If there is ANY way at all that I or we can help with managing or moderating this forum, please, please let us.

Sincerely,

Ne/Neva Eva

Comment

Hopefully, by this time next week, this problem will be resolved, but until then, I am once again asking that you not reveal any more of my personal information.
                        Capalo? - lol

Why not today Spirit - More Bullshit - All I do is call you to task - Everything is within the rules of posting on the Forum

You are a daydreamer Spirit - A menace to society

Comment

I have to admit that I really regret wasting so much time responding to Spiritfree on this thread. And while I think the points I made are salient, and that Spiritfree is truly a menace to My Way Out, and the people looking for help here, I still can't help but wish I'd just ignored most of what he'd written.

He really doesn't deserve any of my time.

I try really hard to avoid confrontations. This kind of thing certainly doesn't happen in my life outside of MWO. And I hate that it happens here. There are just times, and things said, that I feel have to be addressed.

Apologies to those of you attempting to avoid drama and focus on getting and/or giving help, support and information. Still...Some things just shouldn't be ignored. Or at least it feels like that in the moment...

Comment

•There are an estimated 40,000 nurses in the U.S. experiencing alcoholism.

•Pediatric and emergency nurses reported a higher use of cocaine than other specialties.

•Oncology nurses reported the highest overall drug use – for all substances combined.

•Binge drinking was highest among oncology, emergency, and critical care nurses.

*** Not surprising......why?........ 83% of nurses are adult children of alcoholics.

Alcoholism is a genetic disease.

So MANY adult children of alcoholics go into the helping professions....especially nursing.

75-80% of helping professionals in the U.S. under the age of 55 are adult children of alcoholics.

60% of physicians (who are U.S.-born) under the age of 55 are first-born children of alcoholics.
                            It looks like these "statistics" were lifted directly from http://www.gettingthemsober.com/alcoholism-nurses.html.

"There are an estimated 40,000 nurses in the U.S. experiencing alcoholism" comes from Bissell L, Haberman PW. Alcoholism n the Professions. New York,NY: Oxford University Press; 1984, 32 YEARS AGO.

From Substance use among nurses: differences between specialties (1998):

"Overall, substance use among nurses occurred at rates comparable to rates in the general population. Use of prescription-type drugs was higher among nurses, while smoking and marijuana/cocaine use rates were lower. Rates of binge drinking were comparable to rates found among US adults. "

Nurses are regular people with regular problems, just like everybody else. The only reason Spirit has singled them out here is to harass Ne.

-tk
                            TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Originally posted by terryk View Post
                              "There are an estimated 40,000 nurses in the U.S. experiencing alcoholism" comes from Bissell L, Haberman PW. Alcoholism n the Professions. New York,NY: Oxford University Press; 1984, 32 YEARS AGO.

Indeed tk - I particulaly enjoyed the "estimated" part - Rather pisses on Spirits chips....

Regards

Bacman

Comment

Originally posted by terryk View Post
                                It looks like these "statistics" were lifted directly from http://www.gettingthemsober.com/alcoholism-nurses.html.

... 32 YEARS AGO.

"Overall, substance use among nurses occurred at rates comparable to rates in the general population. Use of prescription-type drugs was higher among nurses, while smoking and marijuana/cocaine use rates were lower. Rates of binge drinking were comparable to rates found among US adults. "

-tk
                                EDIT: Aaaaaand Terryk drops the mic...
                                lolol.

Thank you, Terry. So, so, so much.

Not that I was at all concerned about Spiritfree's posts attempting to disparage me or my profession. But you are, as always, brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                X