Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1688261 wrote:
    Bleep, if you stop by, WHAT HAPPENED? How was the trip??? Obviously you didn't get attacked by polar bears...Did anything exciting happen?
    Hey, sorry to hear you were feeling down and glad to see that you seem to be through it. Horrible space to be in, I hope you continue to move further and further from it.

The trip was magnificent. It's a tough hike, but the views and general scenery are outstanding, and I was with good friends, so it was top drawer stuff. At one point on the trail we sat down for a rest and I saw a gaboon viper about 2 feet from my boot, which was epic. You are very lucky to see these in the wild, their camouflage is simply unbelievable. I wanted to pick it up for a photo, but the downside of that is potentially horrifying, so I, for one of the first times in my life, allowed caution to carry the day. I must be getting old.

If you've never been on a good hike in to the middle of nowhere, then you really should give it a look in. Healthy, energizing and just unbeatable fun.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

That shows considerable restraint, bleep. Of course, they have (according to wiki) the longest fangs and the "highest venom yield" of any poisonous snake...Maybe it was less restraint and more a practical decision about avoiding an absolutely certain and painful death. Even teenage boys avoid that. So the good news is you're not as old as you think you are!

I had a run in with nature yesterday. A lot less terrifying, since it was in my suburban yard. We watched a baby bird fall from it's nest. We saved it from Pete the puppy, and left it alone. About an hour later I decided to put it back in the nest, so we could let the dog run around. I donned gloves, put it back in, and it jumped out again. Picked it up, put it back more firmly, all the while getting buzzed by every robin in the neighborhood. (Ed was freaking out. It was very funny.) Next thing we know, BOTH baby birds are on the ground and this time they're running around in the middle of the yard. Then the ravens arrived. I chased 'em off. But both babies looked dead within a couple of hours. They were gone by the evening. pffft. Moral? Don't mess with nature. Or leave it to Steve Irwin. Oh, wait. RIP.

I am feeling much better. MUCH better. And excited to start with a personal trainer this week. woot.

Hope it's a good day, everybody. I'll visit around a bit later. :l

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Good news! (sort of) Pete found a baby bird and I found her before she killed it! I hope the damn thing learns to fly very soon.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne, good on you for starting up with a personal trainer! I really think that it makes all the difference- It did, for me. 3 months with a trainer was enough for me to get the habit ingrained and that was over a year ago- and consistently ever since, I exercise 3x week automatically. It really IS possible to buy good habits, ie hiring a trainer, and the money is well spent if it helps instill a habit of exercise!

Enjoy the early days- the pain, achy muscles, all of that fun stuff- weirdly, I miss those. Weird, right?

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Skull

I totally agree and used to say so around here all the time until I felt like I was just talking to myself. Here's the short version of my story, which I hope will inspire atleast one overweight, overdrinking, unhappy soul to try exercise.

I started w a personal trainer (3x/wk) in January 2007. Male, age 56; Weight 225 lbs. Outlook on life: pretty miserable.

January 2008 weight down to 200 lbs. Quit drinking. Outlook on life: improving.

August 2009 weight down to 175 lbs. Still not drinking. Outlook on life: improving.

August 2014 weight up to 185 lbs. (higher, but still not 225). Still not drinking. Personal trainer 3x/wk; run or bike for one hour at least 2x/wk; ski, tennis, golf, hike, bike on weekends.

I'm now 64 years old. My life revolves around exercise. Then family, then work. Then what's left (friends, recreation, reading, relaxation, etc). No room for drink. Outlook on life: very mellow.

I have found guidance and understanding during this journey in many many books.

On the subject of exercise, I especially recommend two:

1. Spark, by Dr. John Ratey

2. Younger Next Year, by Chris Crowley

Best to all,

Cassander
            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Cassander;1689735 wrote: Skull

I totally agree and used to say so around here all the time until I felt like I was just talking to myself. Here's the short version of my story, which I hope will inspire atleast one overweight, overdrinking, unhappy soul to try exercise.

I started w a personal trainer (3x/wk) in January 2007. Male, age 56; Weight 225 lbs. Outlook on life: pretty miserable.

January 2008 weight down to 200 lbs. Quit drinking. Outlook on life: improving.

August 2009 weight down to 175 lbs. Still not drinking. Outlook on life: improving.

August 2014 weight up to 185 lbs. (higher, but still not 225). Still not drinking. Personal trainer 3x/wk; run or bike for one hour at least 2x/wk; ski, tennis, golf, hike, bike on weekends.

I'm now 64 years old. My life revolves around exercise. Then family, then work. Then what's left (friends, recreation, reading, relaxation, etc). No room for drink. Outlook on life: very mellow.

I have found guidance and understanding during this journey in many many books.

On the subject of exercise, I especially recommend two:

1. Spark, by Dr. John Ratey

2. Younger Next Year, by Chris Crowley

Best to all,

Cassander
              Cass-Skull-Ne, and others: It was about six months ago that I started back full force with my exercise -primarily racquetball. At first, I complained that I did not feel as though I were getting the same former "high" or "rush" that I use to get after playing or exercising. I blamed Baclofen for the "diminishing" returns. I shared this disappointment on a thread or two and then heard from this person "Cass"; are you sure that it is the Baclofen? Looking back, I remember saying to myself that "of course I am sure -otherwise I would have not said made this statement". Well, I was wrong. His comment kept pounding away at me and I decided to "start" back and at least give the racquetball routine one more try. I committed to trying this "little" program for two weeks and if the results were to be unsatisfactory, then I would just quit and say 'I told you so'.

Now, here is the reality for me now; I try and play my sport 4 or 5 nights a week (2 to 4 hours per night). I have lost 25 pounds (now at 170lbs), and feel better physically than I ever have. Along with quitting alcohol, this reinvented racquetball program has helped me to feel 'more ' apart and healthy than ever before. Yes, as an 'addict', I have to try and be careful with lifestyle balance, but the exercise and added energy have helped change my life -drastically.

Now Cass, again, looking back at your comment regarding "are you sure that the Baclofen is what is causing the lack of your post workout 'high'". And Cass, my answer is no -I am not sure. Instead, I believe the real fact is that I forgot that there had always been a time lag for me, post exercise, to feel 'good'. For me now, it takes about a twenty minute cool down-rest period before I begin experiencing the real -'feel really good' moments. Baclofen never diminished my ability to feel 'good' after exercising -only my mind limited the reality.

Again, thank you for planting the exercise-better life thought. It is real and I am grateful to now know this for a fact.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

That's awesome that you got a personal trainer, Ne! I'm terribly out of shape, so will refrain from commenting. But, it's such a good thing to do for yourself.

And thank you for at least trying to save those baby birds! It may not have worked out for the best, but at least you tried. You'd be amazed to hear my coworkers' comments on such situations. They're quite heartless. :headbanger: Anyway, I hope you have a great night! :l

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Cass, just to let you know that your constant nudges did in fact make a significant difference in my decision to take up exercising. In fact, you are probably the primary reason that I am sitting here with a neck brace on, now that I think about it!

Ne, I used to keep snakes, and so wasn't overly worried about picking him up. It probably had more to do with the enormous hill that I had just climbed, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

bleep;1689829 wrote: In fact, you are probably the primary reason that I am sitting here with a neck brace on, now that I think about it!
                    You came home from the trip without a hitch, but ended up in a neck brace from the gym? That's appropriate, somehow.

bleep;1689829 wrote:
                    Ne, I used to keep snakes,
                    Of course you did! :H

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I think it goes without saying that exercise helps everything. My dad owned health clubs for several years, and I grew up exercising. (Often broke in after hours to steal booze and food. But that's a different story, and a different Ne...) I've tried on several occasions to use nutrition and exercise to combat my own addiction. It never worked. But it does help me a great deal in many other ways, and was certainly a huge benefit when I was titrating up.

I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. I miss being strong. And I miss wearing all the clothes I bought in my first year of sobriety! It's so difficult to start over, isn't it Spirit? I forget how long it took to get into shape and to start feeling good when actually exercising. (Less time than it took to titrate up to indifference, though. So there's something!)

Thanks for stopping by, peeps. Hope it's a good day!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1690038 wrote: I think it goes without saying that exercise helps everything. My dad owned health clubs for several years, and I grew up exercising. (Often broke in after hours to steal booze and food. But that's a different story, and a different Ne...) I've tried on several occasions to use nutrition and exercise to combat my own addiction. It never worked. But it does help me a great deal in many other ways, and was certainly a huge benefit when I was titrating up.

I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. I miss being strong. And I miss wearing all the clothes I bought in my first year of sobriety! It's so difficult to start over, isn't it Spirit? I forget how long it took to get into shape and to start feeling good when actually exercising. (Less time than it took to titrate up to indifference, though. So there's something!)

Thanks for stopping by, peeps. Hope it's a good day!
                        Exercise helps with those pesky SEs. I lost 10lbs while on my maintainable dose.
                        When I'm not drinking food isn't so important.

Sam

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Samandkatharine;1690041 wrote:
                          When I'm not drinking food isn't so important.
                          I'm the exact opposite. :H

Comment

Progress thread for ne

StuckinLA;1690076 wrote: I'm the exact opposite. :H
                            What's the fun of eating if you can't pair a good wine with your meal? My husband is like you though. He starts making croutons and will eat the whole baguette if drinking.

Sam

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I'm with you, Stuck. I barely eat anything at all when I'm drinking heavily. But now that I'm drinking less? I feel like a bottomless pit! People talk all the time about how alcohol is so fattening - well, I'm actually somewhat thin and am scared of gaining weight in sobriety. My appetite is back with a vengeance. It's frightening.

So sorry to hijack your thread, Ne. I hope you're having a great night

Comment

Progress thread for ne

No I mean I almost never eat if I'm drinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X