Healing the brain and body through supplements explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this on the Holistic Healing forum. I got it from the Research forum.

Recent posts on this forum made me think that this might be of interest for the people here, too.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...ned-46772.html
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

bump for bleep.

Comment

Thanks - reading it now...
      Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Really interesting stuff about the tryptophan being responsible for blackouts. (as I said in the other thread, responsible in the loosest way!) It doesn't make sense though - when I looked it up, it says that foods like chicken, beef, lamb,etc are where it's found. These form the centre of my diet, so it's hard to believe I'm lacking. Regardless, I'm going to get a supplement, and will report back with results...
        Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

I posted this (below) on neva's progress thread, but thought maybe it should be here, too. Sorry for the repetition for those of you who read all threads... (this excerpt comes from the article posted above):

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Isolde

The only part of MWO that I find depressing are some parts of the General forum (no disrespect to anyone one is an active participant there!), just because it seems that SO many people are white knuckling it and struggling. They are falling off the wagon over and over again, and most of them have never even considered trying bac, even if they are aware of it and have heard the success stories of others. So it's hard for me to read because I KNOW there's a better way! But I find the bac/meds and holistic healing forums so incredibly helpful and welcoming.

Unquote.

My reply:

I feel this way, too. It's interesting that it seems like (to me) that most of the posts and folks on General are only interested in support -- at least less interested in healing than support in their struggle. Don't get me wrong, support is great, but as the alcoholism researcher Dr. Gersten commented:

"...you need to understand that support systems, including Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), according to a great deal of research, do not have better than a 5 percent cure rate. Mind you, I refer my alcoholic patients to AA. AA was never intended as a treatment modality. It is support and is profoundly helpful.

But alcoholism is a physical disease. You cannot cure diabetes or cancer through support groups or psychotherapy, nor can you cure alcoholism through such support. I also don't buy into the nearly universal belief that alcoholism is an incurable disease.

The point of this tongue-in-cheek discussion of the “Alcoholic Personality” is to help you finally set aside such a notion. There is not a “Diabetic Personality” or an “Arthritic Personality.” Similarly, alcoholism is a disorder of severely disturbed biochemistry. There is metabolic chaos from head to toe."

Also, Joan Larson, in her book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" (which advocates heavy supplementation, especially with amino acid therapy, as a way to "fix" the alcoholic's brain/body -- no medications are mentioned) expressed a similar sentiment to yours, Isolde. I don't have the book here, and only read it years ago (yes, I'm a veteran in the struggle), but I remember her saying something to the effect of feeling extreme compassion for the struggling alcoholics in AA, who unnecessarily believe (or are lead to believe) that they must suffer forever, and there is nothing they can do but give themselves to a higher poser (unintentional typo there), and continue struggling and suffering for the rest of their lives. Her answer to that is that the body *can* be healed and balanced through supplementation, nutrition, and therapy/inner work should be part of the healing process, and that alcoholics should not have to struggle and suffer forever -- that they can heal their bodies in other ways than just "surrendering".
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
          X