Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Baclofen reduce craving instantly ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all ,
    I am curious to know the following.
    - Suppose I am taking Baclofen for a couple of months and I feel AL craving now ,I take Baclofen immediately,does this stop craving instantly like a pain killer which stops pain in couple of minutes ? if not how long does it take to feel out of craving ? . One hour,two hour or more ??
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Dixon
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

The onset of action of baclofen is quite soon after the dose. It peaks at about 2 hours. If a person wanted they can take a dose about an hour before their highest risk. I don't think it works in a few minutes but in an hour it should. It may not be that simple tho as there are other factors. I seem to be very sensitive to it. I carry a pill around with me in case I run into a tempting situation.
    Sunny

Comment

Dr Ameisen said that he took an extra dose of baclofen if needed to help with intense alcohol cravings, and that the drug produced a full anti-craving effect within about an hour. He also wrote about a deep relaxation and somnolence but also said he felt clear-headed in some ways. When I have taken baclofen it has gradually started increasing in effects, and it has taken more than a few minutes to start becoming noticeable.

Comment

dixon/kota, I figured out how to do this just for you.
        All of the information you could ever want about baclofen is located here on these threads:
        The very useful link to all things baclofen:
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ads-45888.html
        The holy grail:
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-38718.html
        A resounding and recent success story:
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...nce-42779.html
        And also...
        Information about topamax:
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ion-44427.html
        Information about AA:
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...2-a-47019.html

If you're interested in naltrexone, there is also a good deal of information on here about that. But you can also visit thesinclairmethod.com

Read away! If, after you've had a chance to choose a path, you have any questions we'll be here to answer them.
        Good luck.

Comment

Dixon,

What's your dosage right now, because titrating up too fast is really bad for you, according to Dr. Levin, whom I spoke with last week. I am on 90 mg. and I space mine out in 3 doses....early am, mid-aft. and before bed. It keeps the cravings at bay. I don't have a physical dependence fortunately...with me it was breaking a very bad habit. Keep reading and posting....this is a great place to be!

Comment

Dear friends ,
            Thank you all for your generic information about Baclofen.
            I don't feel craving when I am at home but feel badly when I am free ,without job and out of home for some reason like official works,shopping,seeing friends etc.
            So I would be grateful for your advice if we could take it when we feel craving and stop when don't ? I mean not regularly but like a pain killer making it craving killer ...!!
            I am not at Baclofen now and doing it with will power only but am thinking to buy it and put some with me all the time to avoid any slippery when I feel intense craving.
            Your advice are very welcome as ever.
            Feeling better!
            Dixon

Comment

neva eva;1032599 wrote: dixon/kota, I figured out how to do this just for you.
              All of the information you could ever want about baclofen is located here on these threads:
              The very useful link to all things baclofen:
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ads-45888.html
              The holy grail:
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-38718.html
              A resounding and recent success story:
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...nce-42779.html
              And also...
              Information about topamax:
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ion-44427.html
              Information about AA:
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...2-a-47019.html

If you're interested in naltrexone, there is also a good deal of information on here about that. But you can also visit thesinclairmethod.com

Read away! If, after you've had a chance to choose a path, you have any questions we'll be here to answer them.
              Good luck.
              Thanks Neva eva for your information I will stick with this web when I get a little extra time.Your help is important to me.
              Dixon

Comment

Rusty;1032613 wrote: Dixon,

What's your dosage right now, because titrating up too fast is really bad for you, according to Dr. Levin, whom I spoke with last week. I am on 90 mg. and I space mine out in 3 doses....early am, mid-aft. and before bed. It keeps the cravings at bay. I don't have a physical dependence fortunately...with me it was breaking a very bad habit. Keep reading and posting....this is a great place to be!
                Rusty, Really beneficial idea !!
                Dixon

Comment

Greg;1032480 wrote: Dr Ameisen said that he took an extra dose of baclofen if needed to help with intense alcohol cravings, and that the drug produced a full anti-craving effect within about an hour. He also wrote about a deep relaxation and somnolence but also said he felt clear-headed in some ways. When I have taken baclofen it has gradually started increasing in effects, and it has taken more than a few minutes to start becoming noticeable.
                  That is the information that I wanted to know in short, wonderful !.Many thanks, Dixon

Comment

hey Rusty, did Dr. Levin tell you why dosing up too fast is no good or just that its not a good idea? i'm curious.

-paul

Comment

In my opinion it could be used on an as needed basis as you describe. I just don't know of any studies which address this. We are all sort of "feeling our way" here. Good luck
                      Sunny

Comment

Hi Sunny and friends,
                        I am now going to conclude my venture to fight against the craving of alcohol.I have couple of queries as follows so your experience and research are wecomed point wise below.If Baclofen can use when craving and don't if not.

1. I do not drink while am at home so no need of Baclofen so I do not take it now. Then I intake it just before one our when I am supposed to out of home.
                        2. I do not have any craving when I am at work that's why I wont take itduring my work . I can take Baclofen just before an hour I finish my officework so that I do not get any slippery when I am on my way to home.If I arrived home safely I can stay sober.
                        3. When Travelling long I will take it at regular intervals so that I never feel craving during travel time.
                        4. I will take baclofen the whole day regularly with some intervals if I am out of home for shopping until I get back to home.
                        Doses are depends on the level of craving .If the above routine works for me it is easier to be AF all the times and I need not take lots of amount of baclofen.
                        I also would like your critical suggestion on its side effects and body's nutrition or glucose level on irregular intake.If it harms my health by irregularity I have to take all the time intermittently.Any other ideas to meet my requirements are also requested.
                        Thank you for your valuable suggestion.Now I am in wagon of AF.
                        Dixon

Comment

Dixon,
                          It doesn't work that way. Read the **** information on the threads. I've already attached the most pertinent stuff. Everything you want to know and much, much more is there. Thoughtfully laid out by people brighter and better than you and I. I think you're looking for naltrexone (tsm method, and again, ftr, thesinclairmethod.com) or AA or religion.
                          If you're alcohol free, why are you still looking here?
                          I'm trying very hard to be polite....

Comment

neva eva;1033922 wrote: Dixon,
                            It doesn't work that way. Read the **** information on the threads. I've already attached the most pertinent stuff. Everything you want to know and much, much more is there. Thoughtfully laid out by people brighter and better than you and I. I think you're looking for naltrexone (tsm method, and again, ftr, thesinclairmethod.com) or AA or religion.
                            If you're alcohol free, why are you still looking here?
                            I'm trying very hard to be polite....
                            No Neva, I am scared of failure so I need a regular support .. Isn't it ?.I am here to avoid slippery...is it ok or not ? Does naltrexone works as per my need ? I will see your given site.
                            Thanks ,
                            Dixon

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not sure everyone is discussing the same thing!

I can't speak for reducing the craving, since I don't crave. I just drink. However, I now wish I hadn't read all the side effect threads - I took my first 5 mg just now, and am sitting here, waiting.... Is that the beginnings of a headache? Was that a twitch? Was that a... Weird, never been a hypo...

:flush:
                              Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Working...
                              X