Baclofen titration/taper suggestions and opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a lot of information to be gleaned from this site concerning this. It might be a good idea to throw it all into one place in order that people can find information quickly, and that we might have some reasonable discussion about what has worked and what hasn't.

Dr. Levin recently (October 2010) prescribed the following for me:

Titrating up:
    5mg for first 3 days, followed by
    10mg for 4 days
    30mg for 7 days
    50mg for next 7 days
    Increasing 20mg every 7 days until one has reached the desired result

Tapering down should also be done slowly, 20mg down every 7 days.
    Under no circumstances should one stop taking baclofen suddenly.

Comment

Similar but when going up 20mg a week I would break it down to increasing 10mg every 3 or 4 days.

If nothing is apparently going on at the lower doses I would increase more quickly until you feel something happening.

Go at a comfortable pace but don't expect that there to be no SEs at all.
      Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Good suggestion Ig. There's also no need to 'skip' the 15 while titrating from 10mg to 20mg.

Be (a little more) carefull when titrating at lower dosage. From 20 to 40 is for example a titration of 100%.
        At higher dosage: Going from 100mg to 120 is only 20%. So maybe you can speed up the titration there, because your body probably will be able to handle the extra percentages.

Further, when you feel no SE's and still drinking a lot, and it feels safe, for me there's no reason not to titrate faster than the schedule 'ordered' you.

I can understand that Dr. Levin is at the safe side of safe. Since in the USA a burgerrestaurant had to pay hundredthousands of dollars because a cup of coffee that was a little too hot Also now in Holland we actually have to read a warning ""Do not put pets in the microwave to dry them". WTF? He's sticking his neck out already, but I guess he doesn't want bad things happen to anyone and then get sued for trying to help.

Low

Comment

Neva-thanks so much for starting this thread. Dr. L told me the same thing.
          Low-that story about don't put your pets in the microwave to dry them? Holy sh*t!

Wish me luck today....it's my first official appt. with Dr. Levin. I am nervous, and I don't know why. NE, do you know if he's an alcoholic? I thought I read that somewhere on one of our threads?

Comment

Rusty,

Good luck with Dr. Levin!

About the microwave: an american old lady put her dog in the microwave to dry. She sued the company and actually got 3.000.000 dollars out of it Ne, you got have been so rich!!

Comment

neva eva;1035240 wrote: Dr. Levin recently (October 2010) prescribed the following for me:

Titrating up:
              5mg for first 3 days, followed by
              10mg for 4 days
              30mg for 7 days
              50mg for next 7 days
              Increasing 20mg every 7 days until one has reached the desired result

Tapering down should also be done slowly, 20mg down every 7 days.
              Under no circumstances should one stop taking baclofen suddenly.
              Neva, thanks, I was looking for this information!

Low, that's horrible, did the dog explode? No, DON'T tell me please, I'll have nightmares.....

Anyone who knows - how do I know when this thread has been responded to, without going searching for it by name? I can't track any responses to my posts because the site doesn't notify you where to click when someone has responded. Any help is appreciated.

Fletch

Comment

Fletch, you should be able to see something called 'thread Tools' at the top of this page, click on that and select 'Subscribe to this thread' and you'll then be presented with some options as to how frequently you want to be notified.

Comment

Fletch, yw, sister. waiting....
                  Low, I'd have gotten a lot more than $3m! She really is an Most Exceptional dog! And much too smart to get into a microwave! Plus, she goes to a salon to get her hair done. Seriously. :H and that is really, really twisted.

Comment

Jesus, someone put their dog in a microwave... I thought I was bad. To receive compensation for that is unreal, what are people thinking? It's a weird world we inhabit.

Neva, this is a great idea for a thread, I was about to start one asking this...

Are there reasons other than SE's to not titrate as fast as possible? Are you supposed to let the Bac sink into your system gradually, or is it better to scream up to the necessary levels if you can?
                    Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

POOF GROWL

Thanks NE, love ya. Your doggie loves ya. My doggie loves me and is glad there isn't a microwave that can fit a 90lb goofball.

Thanks Charlie - that's notification by personal email, though, right? I can't access personal email on the computer I use 99% of the time. I will check it out though, maybe there are options for me.

Comment

Bleep, regarding, uh, titrating* - God's sake, someone think up a better word! - almost everyone who's done this says take it nice and slowly. There doesn't seem to be much point in bombing yourself with baclofen as the SEs, combined with alcohol, can be so grim you might just forget about the whole thing.

That said, I think some people are too cautious, and take months to get up to a pretty tame level. If you spend 3 days on each dose increase and feel fine, I see no reason to delay raising the notch at that point. Play it by ear.

(*"Titrating" was originally pioneered by Hugh Hefner as a method of deciding who should be Pet of the Month - OK I made that up)

Comment

I prefer your definition of titrating. Good laugh there, thank you! (for some reason, I hate the abbreviation lol)

Pony, would you still advise a slow increase if there are no SE's? As yet, I've only had a massive, massive, massive hangover, and a slight stoned feeling, which has passed. I've been pissed since, and hangover's are back at normal level. (thank you!) It seems just the first day was a whammy.

Trying to think of a better word, but since you've defined it's origin so well, I don't think any will do...

Dosing? Drugging? Pushing? Whamming? Swallowing? No, titrating it is.

Imbibing has always been a cool word with me, just because it lends a modicum of class to my degenerate boozing.
                          Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

the word doesn't even exist....I tried to look it up in the thesaurus...

How about graduating?? Nice n clean word....no innuendos or the such....
                            "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Definitions

I like graduating, but it has two meanings for me, I picture graduating out of AL high school, and graduating up the meds.

There's also "raising" your dose? Upping? Boosting?

Comment

Working...
                              X