Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen

Bleep it hit me like this a couple of weeks back, it's always AL that makes it worse but to be honest the Bac is messing my life up right now - my drinking has been worse than it ever has since I started on it. Tempted to stop, but also scared to stop.

Comment

Baclofen

I agree, booze triples the SE's for me. Skip a dose?
      Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Baclofen

Already skipped and yesterday I reduced my doseage by 25mg anyway.

Forgot to mention I also have water retention, badly. My ankles, feet and hands are swollen quite markedly. I do usually get some rebound water retention after drinking but it usually gets better with each day AF. I was completely AF yesterday from before midnight Saturday even, but I've woken really bloated. I did notice this last time I drank on Bac too. Hopefully it's not a sign of kidney damage or anything worse.

Comment

Baclofen

All I can say is that I'm feeling a heck of a lot better. Just over 7 hours has passed since my last post and I've not taken any Baclofen today so far. The side effects are wearing off, still a bit sleepy. Some of the water retention has gone. I'm now wondering what to do with the Bac. I feel ok but have heard you can go into withdrawl if you stop suddenly. It's 20 hours since my last 25mg, does anyone know how long it takes to get out of your system?or for withdrawl to start?

Comment

Baclofen

I'm not positive but I think you have to take baclofen for several weeks or months in order to become physically dependent on it.

Not that it would be a definitive guideline but I'll see if I can find that quote.

Hope you feel better soon.

edit: I think if 24 hours has passed and you don't get any symptoms you're probably fine.
            :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
            :what?:
            sigpic
            Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
            A Forum
            Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen

It is absorbed quite quickly, so if you feel something happening, I think there is time to pop a pill. Are you planning to stop, or just cut back?

Glad you are feeling better UK.
              Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Baclofen

I'm planning to stop or at least cut back massively.

I was worried about the physical dependency bit since I don't want to be taken unprescribed meds on my hols this year. When I mentioned it earlier I was told there are no dependency issues with it, but to titrate off slowly. That's exactly what I meant, I don't want to be at a point where I can't stop something if things get bad.

Anyway I'm still ok and 24 hours without bac approaches.

Comment

Baclofen

Lo0p;1047637 wrote: I'm not positive but I think you have to take baclofen for several weeks or months in order to become physically dependent on it.

Not that it would be a definitive guideline but I'll see if I can find that quote.

Hope you feel better soon.

edit: I think if 24 hours has passed and you don't get any symptoms you're probably fine.
                  I can't find anything to back up what I said. Other than some maybe unsubstantiated wiki stuff:

wikipedia wrote: Withdrawal symptoms are more likely if baclofen is used for long periods of time (more than a couple of months) and can occur from low or high doses. The severity of baclofen withdrawal depends on the rate at which baclofen is discontinued. Thus to minimise baclofen withdrawal symptoms the dose should be tapered down slowly when discontinuing baclofen therapy. Abrupt withdrawal is most likely to result in severe withdrawal symptoms. Acute withdrawal symptoms can be stopped by recommencing baclofen.[17]
                  wikipedia wrote:
                  17. ^ a b Leo RJ; Baer D (Nov-Dec 2005). "Delirium Associated With Baclofen Withdrawal: A Review of Common Presentations and Management Strategies". Psychosomatics 46 (6): 503?507. doi:10.1176/appi.psy.46.6.503. PMID 16288128.
                  Couldn't look up the paper.

I have a hunch you'll be just fine though.
                  :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                  :what?:
                  sigpic
                  Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                  A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

Baclofen

Thanks.

Funnily enough I have been looking at Wikipedia myself this afternoon. I think I'll be ok too.

Comment

Baclofen

Got through the night, not much sleep but was able to get up and go for a powerwalk this morning. I know I shall feel tired later but I've got plenty of time today to sleep if I need to. Had no withdrawls stopping the Bac, so am guessing it's true what they say about having to take it for months on end before developing physical dependency.

Comment

Working...
                      X