Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and paracetamol...

Hey everyone,
    I've just spent the last three days suffering from a beastly dose of flu. Since it knocked me out so ruthlessly and left me a malarial, shivering wreck embalmed in sweat and bedsheets, I wondered at some dark moment whether I'd stumbled into a new baclofen side effect.

Fear not, kids, I passed on my deadly disease to my non-alky wife and she is now suffering as much as I was - no connection then, to Baclofen.

But while paracetamol helps her with the non-stop headache, it did absolutely diddly-squat for me. I wondered if baclofen prevents paracetamol from working. Not that it would be a deal breaker, but it would be worth noting.

Meanwhile my martyrdom continues with my two year old daughter deciding, during our lazy sunday afternoon bath, that it might be hilarious to smack daddy in the nuts with a tin of shaving foam. The slings and arrows, I tell ya...

There are no known interactions between baclofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen). Hope you're getting well soon.

Comment

You might ask LoOp about baclofen and pain-killers not working. I don't remember the specifics, just that medications he received for really intense pain did not work as expected. Or terryk might be just the guy to do a little research into this. I'm not sure how to follow up the question of whether and how bac affects the efficacy of other medication, especially pain-killers, but seems like it would be very helpful information. Anyone?
      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

RedThread12;1042648 wrote: ...just that medications he received for really intense pain did not work as expected.
        Opioids do work in combination with baclofen, CNS depression might be increased.

Comment

Baclofen is metabolized primarily by the kidneys and paracetamol is metabolized primarily by the liver. There are no other contraindications either so it should be okay.

What should be contraindicated is alcohol in combination with paracetamol (acetaminophen or Tylenol for us Americans). That stuff is just about as nasty and hard on the liver as alcohol is (I think).

Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is a factor in 25% of ALL liver failures.
          :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
          :what?:
          sigpic
          Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
          A Forum
          Trolls need not apply

Comment

I'm not sure what happened to me when I was hospitalized last March. I had acute cholecystitis (gall bladder infection) and it was extremely painful. The dilaudid they gave me (in the insane amounts they gave me (2mg/2hr 24 hours a day and sometimes 3mg and 1mg of morphine), just didn't work like it should have. My doctor surmised it was because of the baclofen but his reasoning made no sense to me: "You know because they work on pain areas in the brain." 1. They don't. and 2. So what if they did?
            :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
            :what?:
            sigpic
            Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
            A Forum
            Trolls need not apply

Comment

Paracet (as it's known here) is very very hard on the liver, and alcoholics or heavy drinkers should never ever use it. I used it once in combination with alcohol and ended up in the hospital for 5 days whilst they tried to figure it out. They never did because I didn't mention the alcohol part. But I figured it out pretty fast after that (even before internet... if you can remember -- or believe -- there was such a world once). I would absolutely stay away from acetaminophen if you have, or ever have had, alcohol problems.

I would recommend Ibuprofen instead, but that is processed by the kidneys, like bac, and other posters here have pointed out that it increases the bac concentration in your body (because the kidneys are so busy???). I use it anyway, when needed, and also aspirin -- both usually work just fine.

An aside, when patients come into the hospital with acute acetaminophen overdose, they use NAC to "detox" them -- could be something interesting to look into for liver protection?
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I never knew that stuff about the liver. Good thing I haven't had a drink since New Years.

But in this case I doubt it would have hurt me, anyway. I grumbled about this useless paracetamol syrup to my wife and she finally confessed that it's stuff she bought for our kid. So it's baby-strength paracetamol! One teaspoon ain't, as I discovered, enough...

I did find a few Anadin which I'd bought in England last year and they're great. Two of them knocked my headache out the window. (Anadin sounds like something you really don't want to take very much of - it's Aspirin, Paracetamol (Grownups dose!) and Caffeine, all in one. I could have done without the caffeine, but there you are.)

"Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is a factor in 25% of ALL liver failures"

Yikes. So I've had my paracetamol for the year, then.

Comment

lo0p, I also had gall bladder problems, and eventually had to have it removed. They didn't say it, but subsequent research has led me to believe it was alcohol-related.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

So glad you are feeling better pony!!!

Tip from a single mom....sleep when they sleep!!!

How wife is feeling better soon so things can get back to normal!!!
                    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                    X