BAC study in January 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On this site Olivier Ameisen, MD they state that an anonymous donor has pledged $750 000 to fund a study, starting now. Anyone have any links, or know if it has started?

Thanks,

Bleep
    Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

bleep69;1044530 wrote: On this site Olivier Ameisen, MD they state that an anonymous donor has pledged $750 000 to fund a study, starting now. Anyone have any links, or know if it has started?
    Just from my googling, it doesn't seem like the study has started, since the principal investigator is still advertising for a PhD student to work on the project. I would expect it will be at least 2013 before publication even if they get started now.

There is another study planned in Germany looking at Baclofen up to 270mg/day for alcoholism. That one is scheduled to start 2/2011. Alcoholism Clinical Trial: Baclofen for the Treatment of Alcohol Dependence [Conditions: Alcoholism; Interventions: Baclofen, Placebo]

So we won't know any results from either study for at least a couple of years.

Comment

Bummer, hadn't realised they take so long.

Thanks 37.
      Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

It's still exciting stuff... we are all on the cutting edge here -- but won't it feel great when it moves mainstream?
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

In fact people who have tried it know this stuff works. The results will be great for all alcoholic patiets. But do understand that scientific studies are very difficult and rules dependant to succeed. That's why it takes two more years.

The fact that so many people are so positive about the effects of baclofen doesn't make it scientific publishable. That's why I'm already convinced, let the tests confirm my opinion (or decline) but I'm very positive and ordered baclofen myself.

Comment

I agree anonymity. Proof of the pudding long after the pudding's been eaten and digested. Makes me sad for the people that suffer and die in the meantime though, that won't hear about this.

This shit works.

Comment

anonymity;1044621 wrote: In fact people who have tried it know this stuff works. .......
              Actually, even in a self-selected, motivated group such as forum participants, there are many in which BAC has not worked. Some are sure that it will work for them soon, but that is proof of hope, not efficacy.

I don't think the high-dose BAC studies now being planned will be of much use for the near future. As I said, it will be at least 2 years (prob. more) before the results are published, and a negative result won't dissuade people. For example, the German study will ramp up to 270mg/day over 4 weeks. If the study is negative, then the dosing titration will be criticized (just like posters have blamed their schedules for failure to respond) and people will keep on experimenting on themselves anyways.

Certainly, some of the stories here have been dramatic and encouraging.

Someone asked about Dr. Ameisen's professional reputation. As far as I know, he doesn't practice medicine anymore. He may have a courtesy appointment to a medical school, but he doesn't see any patients there. Of course, his current clinical (in)activities are irrelevant to the science of BAC.

Comment

37degrees;1045708 wrote: Actually, even in a self-selected, motivated group such as forum participants, there are many in which BAC has not worked. Some are sure that it will work for them soon, but that is proof of hope, not efficacy.

I don't think the high-dose BAC studies now being planned will be of much use for the near future. As I said, it will be at least 2 years (prob. more) before the results are published, and a negative result won't dissuade people. For example, the German study will ramp up to 270mg/day over 4 weeks. If the study is negative, then the dosing titration will be criticized (just like posters have blamed their schedules for failure to respond) and people will keep on experimenting on themselves anyways.

Certainly, some of the stories here have been dramatic and encouraging.

Someone asked about Dr. Ameisen's professional reputation. As far as I know, he doesn't practice medicine anymore. He may have a courtesy appointment to a medical school, but he doesn't see any patients there. Of course, his current clinical (in)activities are irrelevant to the science of BAC.
                Hmmm. I don't know how to engage you or have this discussion publicly. But i think it's a very, very important one.
                Your points about Nal were not lost on me. Though I'm an admitted lo0p groupie, and respect his intelligence...
                Anyway, there's a lot to be curious/cautious about baclofen...
                What is OA doing? Why does my friend not know about his research when she's at the same school/hospital and in a related field?
                I don't understand why the 'switch' is not related to mg/kg.
                I take heart from the fact that, according to wiki, bac does not work for some spasticity patients, and no one is really sure why.

I appreciate that you want to get all the facts before you jump in. But January was the time you set to start bac. Have you?

I know this is all over the place, but hope you'll bear with. I'm rushed.
                I think you like me and I want to know more about what you know and think... Like me or not, I hope you'll answer. even if it's just to tell me to quit messaging you. I'm rather relentless, I know.
                Wouldn't be me without an emoticon but I can't decide which one, so it'll have to wait.
                Karen

Comment

Working...
                X