Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does baclofen nullify anti-inflammatories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

When digging through medical literature be sure to differentiate between reviews and an an individual case report.

You could look at the article posted another way:

Patient was experiencing declining renal function (based on abstract, haven't read full article), THEN experienced baclofen toxicity?
    Did patient have prior issues with renal function? What other medication was patient taking?

Since publication of this article in 1984 have there been other cases? Does one single case in 1984 mean you will also experience this complication?

Comment

Isolde;1045361 wrote: I can't believe that guy was showing signs of baclofen toxicity on just 20mgs a day due to the ibuprofen.
      What SpookyChan wrote:

SpookyChan;1105914 wrote:

When digging through medical literature be sure to differentiate between reviews and an an individual case report.

Patient was experiencing declining renal function (based on abstract, haven't read full article), THEN experienced baclofen toxicity?
      Did patient have prior issues with renal function? What other medication was patient taking?
      Since publication of this article in 1984 have there been other cases? Does one single case in 1984 mean you will also experience this complication?
      It's very tempting to look at the cases reported about bac wherever we can find them. Unfortunately they are mostly related to people with some very, very serious health issues unrelated to bac.

But back to the pain-management thing! My tooth is KILLING me. Or rather, my mouth, where my tooth used to be. Ibuprofen is not offering enough relief, though come to think of it, I've only been taking 400mg. hmmm. nevermind. I'll up the ibuprofen.
      The Tylenol 3 I was prescribed was next to worthless except for bouts of lousy sleep.
      Which is good, because:
      I agree with beatle about the acetomeniphen. Baaaad stuff even if you have normal liver function. (Not a doctor, don't know squat about medicine. Do know how to read, however.)

I haven't had a single SE due to taking ibuprofen, for the last 3 days, every 4 hours consistently. (And you all know I look for those damn SEs!) I'll let you know how 800mg every 4-6 works out.
      Thanks Is.

Comment

I've taken ibuprofen recently post switch. I was avoiding it to be safe, but I had some bad pain from a foot sprain and gave it a shot. A couple of 600mg doses, a little less pain, nothing else to report...

I have been on baclofen for over a year and it's been 6 months since my switch @280, currently on 240. My kidneys checked out fine about 7 months ago, I'll have another lab done in a month.

Baclofen is chemically similar to GABA, a naturally occurring chemical in the body. Just from a little reading I find that 85% of baclofen is excreted unchanged by the kidneys, 15% is deaminated (metabolized) by the liver. And...hmmm....I'm reading that ibuprofen is also *mostly* metabolized by the liver (not the kidneys that I reported earlier - this is a great example of someone with an incomplete understanding of physiology/medicine posting some erroneous info). Anyhoo, I'll do some more research and report back if I can add something helpful.

I just deleted a couple of paragraphs describing my take on a reasonable way to take baclofen and NSAIDs. My bad. I'm not a freaking doctor. It's too easy to want to jump in here and play medical professional. I do it for myself with a lot of success so far, but I can't do it for others. I'm lucky enough to have access to healthcare at a free clinic in the US, but having a revolving door army of primary care doctors (I've seen about 12 in the last 2 years) has been an eye opener...Without exception *they all* give me different and *very often* conflicting information about various aspects of my health and treatment (without even coming close to mentioning high-dose baclofen). That experience alone has made me take an active part in figuring out how and why my body works and how to fix it when it's broken. Good luck out there folks. -tk

p.s. I tell *everybody* to stay away from acetaminophen
        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

I read about that guy. I believe he did have some renal failure prior to starting bac. I don't believe I've read any other case studies of issues, if renal failure wasn't already present.

Since, my research hasn't shown much on that front, I take ibuprofen for pain. Only when necessary. Acetaminophen doesn't work for me. It's either ibuprofen or toradol at home. Since toradol affects the kidney too, I stick with ibuprofen. Although, toradol does make me feel happy.......
          This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Working...
          X