Booktree on Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booktree on Baclofen

I went to one of Alan Carr's day-long Easy Quit sessions in the late 90s. It was just some droid droning on about why we don't need the fags and then trying (and failing miserably) to group hypnotize us. That's 100 quid and 8 hours of my life I won't be seeing again.

He claimed a 98% success rate. I knew 3 of the other 7 people in the group and none of them quit. He offered a money back guarantee if you didn't quit. So I applied for a refund and was told that I would have to endure 2 more sessions over the next 2 weeks before they'd make a refund. Needless to say I couldn't be arsed.

Didn't Alan Carr die of lung cancer?

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

Good Morning Everyone,

Allen Carr was diagnosed with lung cancer in the summer of 2006 and died in November of the same year.
      About the Author
      Allen Carr was an accountant who smoked 100 cigarettes a day until he broke the habit and wrote a series of bestselling books. He built a hugely successful network of stop smoking clinics across the world and is the author of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, How to Stop Your Child Smoking and The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying. Many thought it likely that the years he spent curing smokers in smoke-filled sessions at his clinics must have contributed to this illness, but Allen Carr remained positive, 'Given that I am informed that I have cured at least 10 million smokers on a conservative estimation, it's a price worth paying.'

Glad you are doing well Booktree!

Have a great day!

Lady
      The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

Lady and Murph, thanks for the info on Allen Carr...
        "We are high priest Vatican assassin warlocks. Boom! Print that, people!" -- from the "Cats Quote Charlie Sheen" Wordpress Blog

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

Update-- I need help.

I cannot figure this out. I tried to go to sleep last night, but only fell asleep for an hour. Woke up feeling dizzy from being so tired, also felt nauseous and couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep.

Then I started to have these morbid thought loops. It’s hard to explain. I would be lying there thinking about something completely normal, and my mind would suddenly veer off into something completely morbid, and then my mind would sort of freeze on that thought and I would get all anxious. I feel like something is wrong with my mind. Or maybe it’s the baclofen that’s distorting my thoughts and my sleep patterns? Or maybe it's the Prozac that my doctor put me back on last week?

I was sleeping really well there for about a week or so. I don’t like this. Every time a thought comes into my mind it morphs into something odd, dark, and disturbing. And then I can’t let myself relax and fall asleep because I’m afraid I’m losing my mind.

I woke up every hour or half hour throughout the night and I felt like I was absolutely losing my mind. I kept shaking uncontrollably throughout my whole body. I took 10mg of Baclofen (my middle-of-the-night dose) and was hoping that would calm me down a bit. I kept feeling nauseous. I was so scared. I didn’t want to go lie down because I was afraid I’d just shake, and toss and turn and feel miserable and go into another panic attack.

Anyway, I can't have another night like this because of work tomorrow, etc. I'm going to call my doctor this morning and ask for his advice, but I thought I'd check here first to see if anyone has any ideas?

This is my first incident of having a panic attack while on baclofen (other than when I was trying to come off it and titrated down too quickly).

I am currently on 70mg of baclofen, alcohol-free, and my doctor added 20mg of Prozac, which I started taking for depression about a week ago. In the past, Prozac has had a very calming effect on me and reduced anxiety as well as depression, so I simply can't figure this one out.
          "We are high priest Vatican assassin warlocks. Boom! Print that, people!" -- from the "Cats Quote Charlie Sheen" Wordpress Blog

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

I'm inclined to think it must be the prozac, being the new addition to the mix, but this is based on absolutely no medical knowledge at all, so is worse than useless really.

Saying that, beatle is reporting a similar sensation, and she lays the blame at baclofen's door.

I don't know Book, sorry for such a useless lack of help.

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

Bleep-- thanks for the note about Beatle-- I just re-read her recent posts, and posted something there about it. I, too, am inclined to think it's the Prozac, but I just never had that effect from it before.

My psychiatrist called me back just now. He thinks the nausea is what triggered the anxiety and panic (I have a long-standing phobia of vomiting). He told me to take a Pepcid if my stomach is upset again tonight and take a Tylenol PM to help with sleep. I don't know if that's going to help, but I'll give it a try.

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

Booktree, I sure hope the pepcid and TPM work for you. It sounds like it was miserable night. Hang tough.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

LadyLush;1069965 wrote: Good Morning Everyone,

Allen Carr was diagnosed with lung cancer in the summer of 2006 and died in November of the same year.
                  About the Author
                  Allen Carr was an accountant who smoked 100 cigarettes a day until he broke the habit and wrote a series of bestselling books. He built a hugely successful network of stop smoking clinics across the world and is the author of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, How to Stop Your Child Smoking and The Easy Way to Enjoy Flying. Many thought it likely that the years he spent curing smokers in smoke-filled sessions at his clinics must have contributed to this illness, but Allen Carr remained positive, 'Given that I am informed that I have cured at least 10 million smokers on a conservative estimation, it's a price worth paying.'

Glad you are doing well Booktree!

Have a great day!

Lady
                  I think the 100 smokes a day probably contributed more to the lung cancer than a bit of passive smoke, but so be it...

Book, take a look at beatle's thread, she has posted a response there concerning your dilemma.

Comment

Booktree on Baclofen

Thanks for the heads-up, Bleep.

I took 25mg Seroquel last night and was finally able to get some sleep.

Comment

Working...
                    X