Baclofen and underlying mood disorders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Otter: I seriously think you (we/he/she/they) are on to something. I have a really brilliant friend who figured out from reading the book that baclofen should have efficacy for a broad spectrum of "disorders" resulting from mis-firings in the brain. To that end, he is working with people who have come to him with asperger's; some kind of anger dis-order, don't know what they call it in the DSMIV but the guy who suffers knows he's screwed up and wants to quit being violent; and someone with a very specific obsession. This is nothing formal and only the result of some very desperate people willing to go to any lengths. But ALL of these things are DIRECTLY related to the amygdala's ability to evaluate incoming stimulus and release the appropriate neuro-chemical cascade instead of the screwed up ones that make us behave as if we have no mind. Which, at the level these things are happening (way pre-awareness), we actually don't.

Baclofen and serious meditation are the only things I've found that touch this stuff.
    "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Yes, it is amazing. All these conditions all seem to relate back to one area of the brain. And this little pill can help them all. There is something bizarre about this.
      BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Dosage Spread

Hello there. :new:

I have been on a cocktail of meds for some time and I am very tired with the typical cocktail that I'm on, I do NOT want to go back to anti-depressants, and I want to give my GABA-A receptors a damn break.

I'm currently on:
        Carbamazepine ER (Carbatrol) 300mg/2x per day
        Librium (about 20mg/2x per day)
        Clonidine (.1mg/ 2x per day)

My situation is VERY high stress for me and I have been on Librium for 3 years for what was supposed to be a brief high anxiety period. I read up on stories of Baclofen's success, Baclofen abuse (usually the 'blue-lit nitwits'), and something that is important to me is sex drive and sexual performance. I'm 29 years old and (not to sound like a conceded prick), but I take pride in my physique and it shows. I eat well, I exercise on a moderate schedule (m/w/f full body free weight workouts) and in the interim I go for long walks with my iPod. I've gone for over 5 years without sexual interest due to my constant battles with anti-depressants (especially getting off Cymbalta and Lexapro) and call me selfish if you will, but sex is one of life's greatest pleasures.

I am not concerned with experimenting to find my 'switch'. No pun intended, but it seems that finding one's switch can be a bitch. With GABA-B agonism, the effect on dopamine is a bit tricky. GHB stimuates dopamine production, but inhibits dopamine channels, whereas it seems that Baclofen doesn't stimulate dopamine production, but inhibits it's receptor affinity so long as it's blood plasma levels are sufficient. Maybe it's dose dependant?

Anyways, I need help with this. Really soon. I have my degree in psychology and have a lot of background in psychopharmacology, so I end up studying up on these compounds quite a bit and I tend to over-analyze things. As far as Baclofen is concerned, it seems to help quiet the mind a little bit. I have had addictions to many substances in the past including: cocaine, meth, GHB (screwed me up bigtime), and now I find myself drinking to ease my anxiety.

I have a Rx for 120 20mg pills and really just want to find my lowest dose possible for anxiety. I have heard that once a day dosing works for some and it doesn't make too much sense to me, because it has an elimination half-life of 4 hours, max. I would also like to use the Baclofen as an adjunct to get the hell off Librium. And like I said before, sexual performance and libido are really important. I don't want to be a lab rat again with new drugs and screwing with receptors. Just because Baclofen doesn't have much recreational value, it doesn't mean that it isn't still doing possibly harmful things to our brain chemistry. There seems to be a sensetive threshold for this medication to achieve the desired effects and I would like to know if you guys have any luck for anxiety only at the lower doses and have you been able to sustain the effect without constantly titrating upwards. And as far as withdrawal is concerned, I don't feel like withdrawing only to need Librium again to control the symptoms of 'delerium' and rebound anxiety. I think it's stupid to go back and forth from receptor A to receptor B and back and forth until the day I die or get tired of the neverending chemical warfare and just end it on my own.

Thanks,
        Venom

Comment

I take low dose bacc(10mg TID) and seems to work well for the last 6 months. High dose bac is a different story-insomina,restless and closed eyed hallucinations. Also mood swings. I once ooverdid it and got insane closed and open eyed hallucinations,euphoria alternating anxiety/paranoia for 6-8 hours. Never again! But low dose bacs helps anxiety and craving.Do not titrate too much too fast-learned my lesson the hard way.

Comment

I have long term depression which has got pprogresively worse over the years. Since I have been taking baclofen I dont think it has helped with the depression atall. And it hard for me to remember if it has helped with anxiety, I think it does but is that because when I decrease I get bad anxiety form withdrawals from it, I do sometimes wonder if bac is addictive, in that now Im on it could I stop if I wanted. I dont mean with regards to drinking I mean about the anxiety and any other possible stuff that could happen when I stop

Comment

My own view is that all theses issues stem from a disorder of the limbic region of the brain as described by Olivier Ameisen.

Since, however, I get people commenting on/doubting my support of Ameisen's theory I have opened up a blog on the Baclofen UK site so I can go on and on about my pet theories without offending the sensitivities of people here who think that the world would be a better place if we went back to a time when there was no "cure" or hope for alcoholism.
              BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Working...
              X