Questions about baclofen -- for Dr. L. and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no not at all...wish I could come up with THE question that would answer it for us all.....I want proof...cold hard facts that it works...and I am not puking every day for nothing!! sorry frustrated today!
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

The switch:

Dr A. found it himself.

Dr. L says it is a fact.

Many people on here attest to it as a fact.

Until I experience it, I won't call it a fact.

Don't want to draw any comparisons here, but seeing is believing.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks Beatle!! I know...there is proof! just really frustrated today...
        "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

me too, taw!
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

the SE's are so bad lately....just wondering if maybe this is not the way for me...want to meet me in chat? I am there by myself....

Comment

doesn't work

Comment

yes but I do not know how....

Comment

I am sure some hit a switch. For me it was just easier to stay abstinent so I did. It was no big deal line I crossed. I may have crossed it in the first dose or 2 as some do. I am still amazed. Good luck
                  S

Comment

Redhead is definately a she. Anyway, I see that you put the few questions together. I will bring a notebook and ask them. A few of these questions I would have asked regardless. I believe I get a 45 minute initial visit that he bills as psychotherapy. Maybe it's good Beatle because had there been too many questions I wouldn't have been able to ask them all.

I am so impatient for Friday. It can't get here soon enough, as I type this hung over to all hell. I really want this, and I soooo need to stop drinking. I proceeded to drink myself into an oblivion last night and called my father and wicked stepmother. I drunkenly told them off (they're not very nice people), and I am hanging my head in the day after shame. I don't even remember how the conversation ended. I'm sure everyone in the family has heard about this by now. I guess I need to make time with Dr L to talk about my asshole family as well! Not that I should be telling people what I think when I'm drunk, even if they do deserve it.

I believe this is what you guys call a thread hijack. Sorry, I'm in a bit of a low place at the moment. I do want to become an educated poster, so tell me, what the heck is a bump? The only bumps I've ever heard of, wouldn't be proper to discuss. Peace out.
                    This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Hi Red,

A bump is designed to move a post up to the top of the list, for whatever reason. Sorry to hear you are feeling grim, less than a week to go, so don't despair!

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in here, so if nobody has in a couple of days, I have a few more questions that I wouldn't mind adding to the list. You must remember that it's your session though, and that must be the focus. Everyone else can wait!

Comment

Beatle and Red, thanks for doing this! My brain is such a mess, I feel completely incapable of it myself. This is a great idea.

Taw, so sorry about the SE's, I'm getting more and more nausea, but not the vomiting because I think the anti-diarrheal is helping and the ginger, to keep me from sliding down that slope, thank GOD.

You would think for the people who have the worse SEs, we'd hit the switch faster because something is obviously happening in our bodies and brains even at low doses (80).

Another idea, maybe in each post, we could all post our current milligrams, esp when we're talking SEs.

(80)

Comment

Beatle and Taw,
                          I also wonder how much genes and drinking play into how much bac is needed for the switch. I have terrible alkie genes. My mom died of alcoholism a couple of years ago. Very scary stuff. If one has alkie genes maybe they need more bac? I believe I read on someones thread that he said definately. Genes and the amount of damage done by drinking are the major factors that determine dose and response to baclofen. I think that's what I read.

Comment

beatle;1054076 wrote: btw, redhead-- thank you SO much! Can't believe I neglected to say that until now. (I'm not known for my social graces.) Let's collaborate, ok?
                            :blinkylove:HEARTFELT THANKS FROM OGEL TOO - 'ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL' SPRINGS TO MIND WHEN I READ THESE POSTS!!!!!!! :hug:

Comment

redhead77;1055294 wrote: Beatle and Taw,
                              I also wonder how much genes and drinking play into how much bac is needed for the switch. I have terrible alkie genes. My mom died of alcoholism two years ago at the age of 56. Very scary stuff. If one has alkie genes maybe they need more bac? I believe I read on someones thread that he said definately. Genes and the amount of damage done by drinking are the major factors that determine dose and response to baclofen. I think that's what I read.
                              That is so sad about your mother (and scary).

I think the genetics/chemistry and the drinking history are of paramount interest to many here (myself included).

After talking to Dr. L. and trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together, I have come to the tentative conclusion that Dr. L. does not have definitive answers to most of these questions. He's spent his career focussing on psychology and the brain, and he somehow got into this about baclofen and addiction, and he works closely with Dr. A... but he is not a god (I think), and he doesn't know everything about baclofen and how people react/will react to it (I think).

Red, let's try to work on the list together, but, as bleep (and so many others) said... this should be about you. As long as it being about you and being about others at the same time, however, it makes sense to consolidate.

Comment

No worries Beatle. I am not a martyr and I know that this is about me getting help FIRST. I will ask the questions I'm interested in, many of which some of you asked as well. He is not a god, but from what I know, has treated hundreds of alcoholics. He might be starting to see some patterns. It never hurts to ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X