The Switch and Indifference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK, I just wanted to tell you that I admire you for never giving up. It sounds like you have a new game plan. I'm rooting for you.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi UK

Ukblonde;1101679 wrote: I am back fresh from my trip to visit a leading expert on addiction. I went expecting to be sent back with a Baclofen prescription. I wasn't

He has told me that baclofen isn't suitable for me, it isn't going to work and that if side effects were going to lift they would have done so during the 3-4 week period I spent at 180mg. He is very knowledgeable within his field, and has read all the research on baclofen as well as other treatments. He mentioned AA quite a few times, and appears to hold the organisation in high esteem. I am going to try naltrexone in the meantime, and I may use Baclofen occasionally, to aid sleep but baclofen isn't going to be my way out.
      I just wrote a long reply to you on another thread, you can find it through my posting history.

But, to sum up, I know Dr Chick and I don't believe he has much experience or interest in (presently - until proven?) the high-dose Bac approach.

He uses it as an anti-craving and says he hasn't seen any evidence of 'a switch' from any of his patients, at up to around 200mg.

I've been on Bac for more than a year, and if I drink more than four or five pints in an evening I'm in very serious trouble the next day. I believe that for some people like me, Bac + alcohol = very dangerous, brain-wise! (Not necessarily long-term - no-one seems to have any idea about that - but short-term it's intolerable, it wipes me out just as much as four times the amount of alcohol used to.)

I am not trying to re-sell high-dose Bac to you, as I've never got that far (luckily I didn't need to). I probably would have quit too, if I hadn't seen improvements at almost unheard of doses (the less than 100mg daily that Dr Chick prescribes).

Anyway, it's your
      way out, and I'm so glad you seem to have found it
      I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Just a quick update on this.

Started titrating down from what had been around 150mgs Baclofen last week, having been up to 180mgs for a substantial amount of time a few weeks previously. Started 50mg Naltrexone in the morning, and reduced Bac to just 25mg at bedtime by last weekend. No cravings and after an initial lag started to noticeably feel better, both physically and mentally. Had firts urges to drink Sunday evening so took 50mg Nal and 25mg Baclofen before seeing to a personal commitment. Drank a couple of hours later, consumed around 11 units but was struggling towards the end. I just felt dreadful after the first half an hour. Very sleepy, eyes puffy, tired etc. Started to look for places where I could buy more but realised I couldn't be bothered. Please note here a binge for me starts at around 11 units, and is usually more like 20 or 30 before I stop. Got up Monday feeling ok, bit groggy but that was all. Didn't want to continue drinking. Took 50mg Nal late morning. Had an urge to drink Monday evening so once again took 25mg Baclofen, already had Nal in my system so didn't take any more. Stopped at 7 units and went to bed no problems.

Apart from this I haven't had any more cravings, or strong urges to drink. So that's 2 very mild, shortish drinking sessions in approximately 10 days. Must bear in mind however that as a binge/bender drinker I can often have AF days, even weeks at a time - so I can't claim success yet. Although I do feel a lot more relaxed about drinking.

Regards Baclofen it took a few days for me the results of the dose reduction to show through and what a difference! Complete clarity of thoughts, the fog and crippling depression has lifted(only peeped out once when I drank!). I've almost got all my previous energy and drive back. My skin has started clearing up and my hair is soft and bouncy again. I had been completely bogged down with the side-effects, and for so long. Lots of helpful peeps suggested underlying conditions, and even I started thinking I might have untreated depression,PCOS, or simply be washing/not washing my hair with the correct frequency. I'd even thought about looking at anti-depressants. Well all I can say is that all my symptoms have gone away now I've come right down to the occasional 25mgs. I've not done anything different. It's a massive relief and I'm wondering if there is something in the Baclofen tablets that I'm allergic to, or Baclofen itself doesn't react well with me. I had also expected crippling cravings as a result of the reduction, but they I've hardly had any.

Right now I feel I can do anything, and am taking one day at a time. I'm going to continue taking Naltrexone in the morning on days I think I may be at risk of drinking, then 25mg Baclofen if I really think I am going to drink.

So far so good.

I don't have any goals since at the moment drinking holds no attraction for me, I'm happy on the days when I don't drink. If I were to have a drink with my evening meal, I'd be forcing the stuff down. Just not bothered.

Might be a different story next week but at the moment all is well.

Comment

Ukblonde;1106101 wrote: . I'm going to continue taking Naltrexone in the morning on days I think I may be at risk of drinking, .
          Hi UK. You certainly sound a lot more positive. I just noticed one thing.Are you following TSM?They recommend Naltrexone 1 hour before drinking.
          I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Thanks Coalfire, I've been told to take it in the morning because I can sometimes have urges later morning/afternoon and it stays in your system for up to ten hours - so I know it's already there if I do drink. I've been told that 1 hour is the absolute minimum, 1-2 hours before is better and makes sure it's in there.

My trouble is that I might not wait the 2 hours. Anyway so far I'm getting the dose in when required.

Comment

Hi UKB,

I am delighted to hear you're feeling better. I had my fingers crossed and I tried to cross my piggies too, but it didn't work out. I know you are still struggling, but it sounds like things are starting to look up. Does naltrexone take a while to work? I mean for it to reach maximum potential?
              This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

I really don't know Redhead, I'm not relying on Naltrexone entirely for my sobriety. It's there to help me and if it does great, if not well that's ok too.

Basically Baclofen made me feel absolutely awful, it was a living hell, I just went around feeling wierd every day AND eventually drank on it anyway.

At least this way I have some quality of life, if I drink I drink but I'm not planning on it!

Comment

It sounds like things are moving in a positive direction for you. I am so happy to read that.:l

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Really good to hear that things are more positive for you UK. Clearly baclofen and you did not get along, so I'm glad you have managed to find a solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X