Let's meet in Chicago!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's meet in Chicago!

I might be interested. Will have to see if finances and time off from work allows. Also.. "drinking against their will" .. heh. It could be said that we are all drinking against our will when we drink. The opposite could also be said... sort of a glass half full concept, really. Depends on how you perceive your alcoholic condition, I suppose. Food for thought..

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Nice Pbar. Red might have herself a man by then. Maybe a couple of them.
      This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Red,

A couple? You better be in the sharing moodrettplease:

Lady
        The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

redhead77;1112570 wrote: Nice Pbar. Red might have herself a man by then. Maybe a couple of them.
          I am not selfish, Red.
          Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
          - Jacob August Riis

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Alrighty, folks.
            The dates are fast approaching. I'm considering how to fit this trip in with the grand scheme of things. It will make a difference if anyone else is still interested! (Those ol' buggers--time and money--just keep me tied to reality. ugh.)
            I have to tell you I take it as a bit of a sign that that is the ONLY weekend in the months of Sept, Oct and Nov, not to mention Dec, that we can get away.
            Oct 7th-10th.

Who's in?

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! I'm interested! I realize I don't have to make the travel plans that others do, but, still. I'm not sure what kinds of activities you have planned (or don't yet have planned), but I'd love to meet up with you guys at some point. Please, other members (members who are more senior and probably more interesting than me), please speak up and say you'll come!
              "Yet someday this will have an end
              All choices made or choice resigned,
              And in your face the literal eye
              Trace little of your history,
              Nor ever piece the tale entire
              Of villages that had to burn
              And playgrounds of the will destroyed
              Before you could be safe from time
              And gather in your brow and air
              The stillness of antiquity."

From "At Majority" by Adrienne Rich

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Honet to God, I had a super vivid dream last night that a bunch of MWOers got together in Chicago. Some people really hit it off, a couple people argued, and one lady was really being a drama queen. Then we had trouble trying to decide how to split the check at the restaurant we were at. Sounds like it could be not too far off from reality. I don't think the Mongolian girl I worked with years ago and my college roomate would have been there in real-life, but, otherwise, pretty spot on.
                "Yet someday this will have an end
                All choices made or choice resigned,
                And in your face the literal eye
                Trace little of your history,
                Nor ever piece the tale entire
                Of villages that had to burn
                And playgrounds of the will destroyed
                Before you could be safe from time
                And gather in your brow and air
                The stillness of antiquity."

From "At Majority" by Adrienne Rich

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

windycitylady;1168958 wrote: and one lady was really being a drama queen.
                  I already know who that is...
                  Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
                  George Santayana

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

SlipperyPete;1168960 wrote: I already know who that is...
                    Murphy?

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Ne/Neva Eva;1168157 wrote: Alrighty, folks.
                      The dates are fast approaching. I'm considering how to fit this trip in with the grand scheme of things. It will make a difference if anyone else is still interested! (Those ol' buggers--time and money--just keep me tied to reality. ugh.)
                      I have to tell you I take it as a bit of a sign that that is the ONLY weekend in the months of Sept, Oct and Nov, not to mention Dec, that we can get away.
                      Oct 7th-10th.

Who's in?

I am tentatively working on a gig in Chicago to start soon. If that works out, I will be able to swing it easily.

Would it be okay if a Bac drop out comes? I would love to meet all of you!!

and see Lo0p without a shirt..... sigh

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Lo0p is busy at Burning Man as we speak. I don't think we'll be seeing him, clothed or not. But I second the .

Great good luck on the gig, Cindi!

I'm not sure that we're going to go. Much as that pains me. Then again....

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Thoughts to share/lessons to learn

We had a MWO get-together in London once, about 3 years ago. At that time I was only participating on the General Disc and Holistic boards.

At one point, 21 people expressed serious interested, but it ended up at 12 people, and two of them were BB's husband and 10-year-old daughter.

It was in general a mildly awkward affair. Not terribly uncomfortable, but just not quite fun and not quite eye-opening. Def a letdown. I did bond a little with Amelia, however, but that didnt last long after and she "retired" (as far as I can tell) after reaching indifference at 80mg bac, if't the other hand, that was a diff group of people. (And it was in London, ffs). I believe this current group of people is more than a notch above in the liveliness department. And we really did not know each other in the way this group does.

(Which makes me worried for newbies here... I doubt any would come based on this whole thread, in which all kinds of "in" jokes are being bandied about, people are taking roles (I don't even get that -- I never saw SITC (except the movie which I almost walked out of) and everyone clearly "knows" each other. I certainly would not travel to go to this event if I was a newcomer here. I might even be wary about attending if I lived in the area. But that's just me. Social anxiety and all that... as if nobody else here suffers from that :H... anyway, just saying'... maybe not much to be done about it... dunno).

Anyway, back to the London event:

BB initiated the get-together, but I ended up making the arrangements (having lived in London and spent a good bit of time there previous to that get-together). I gave a lot of thought to the venue, and decided on a Middle Eastern restaurant with a wide array of menu options, including sharing platters, and, of course, vegetarian food

I had been there and remembered that the food was very good. It was a smallish restaurant with an upstairs room for when the downstairs restaurant overflowed, and for rental for bigger parties. I asked to reserve that room (at the time it was 17 confirmed attendees).

The upstairs, separated solution turned out to work well, in a way, but it took away from the boisterous atmosphere being downstairs in the real restaurant would have provided. And since we ended up being so few, it felt a little awkward to be alone up there in that big room.

Another biggie to consider... we sat at a typical long table (many smaller, square tables put together). This meant that you were sort of stuck talking to those directly around you. I think circular tables would work better, and assuming you are enough people, try to get two (or three?) next to each other, hopefully ver close, so people can also turn around and talk to people at other tables.

We also didn't meet first and mingle beforehand, not wanting to get into a bar atmosphere. This was a BIG mistake. It means we all sat down, introduced ourselves, ordered and proceeded from there. Bad strategy.

Also, we did not do anything afterwards. I cannot for all the world fathom why. It just didn't come up. We ate lunch, chatted, and went our separate was. What were we thinking? I had come from Oslo ffs, why didn't I reach out more and try to spend time with more people? (Well, I was actually catching a bus to Brighton to meet an old friend I had studied with in Japan ... combined trip.) Why didn't others? Somehow, I don't think any of this will happen with your group, however.

These are factors to consider as you move closer to the day. You need to get numbers, find a place, make up schedules, etc. and think of ways to make it be not too awkward. I think you need a committee or something, and planning should probably start fairly soon.
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

And another thing -- where will people stay? Somebody should be coordinating that. Some can stay at MWO members, I suppose, but for those staying in hotels, maybe people can get together and share rooms, etc. Something to think about.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

Beatle,

Very good suggestions.

Ne, if there is a way to do this, I would love it. Perhaps not on a holiday weekend would be best for me. I would rather be home with family, if at all possible.

But, if I do get the Chicago engagement, a meet up would be fairly easy for me. Depending on my living arrangements, I may be able to take in someone.

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Let's meet in Chicago!

beatle;1169194 wrote:
                                We also didn't meet first and mingle beforehand, not wanting to get into a bar atmosphere. This was a BIG mistake. It means we all sat down, introduced ourselves, ordered and proceeded from there. Bad strategy.
                                Uh-huh, mmm-hmm; I suggest everybody pop some Baclofen and Naltrexone this time, and have a jolly good time without fear and with the drinks in over-flow! :H

Thank god for these two drugs.
                                ------------------------------------------------------------
                                "Alexander The Next" 's Experimental Combo Journey with TSM (Naltrexon) and Baclofen -- Progress Diary
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/alexander-next-s-experimental-combo-journey-tsm-naltrexon-baclofen-49307.html

Comment

Working...
                                X