bac contraindicated meds/supps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not a physician and have no background/knowledge of medicine or medical issues.
    You can find this information at https://online.epocrates.com/
    This is the list from epocrates. They are mostly related to CNS suppression, or increased risk of somnolence (extreme tiredness) I think.
    (If you have any questions you can sign up for a free trial anonymously. Or pm me and I'll look up something specific.)

Drug Interactions .
    Avoid/Use Alternative

* sodium oxybate

Monitor/Modify Tx

* dexmedetomidine
    * exenatide
    * hypoglycemics, other
    * insulins
    * liraglutide
    * saxagliptin
    * saxagliptin/ metformin
    * sitagliptin
    * sulfonylureas
    * thiazolidinediones

Caution Advised

* acetaminophen/ caffeine/ CNS depressant combos
    * acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine
    * acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan
    * acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine
    * acetaminophen/ diphenhydramine
    * acetaminophen/ diphenhydramine/ phenylephrine
    * acetaminophen/ doxylamine/ dextromethorphan
    * acetaminophen/ doxylamine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * acetaminophen/ doxylamine/ dextromethorphan/ pseudoephedrine
    * acetaminophen/ doxylamine/ phenylephrine
    * acetaminophen/ pheniramine/ phenylephrine
    * aldesleukin
    * antidepressants, other
    * antihistamine/ decongestant combos
    * antihistamines, sedating
    * antipsychotics
    * apomorphine
    * aspirin/ chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan
    * aspirin/ chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * aspirin/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine
    * aspirin/ diphenhydramine
    * aspirin/ doxylamine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * azelastine nasal
    * barbiturates
    * botulinum toxins
    * brompheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * brompheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ pseudoephedrine
    * bupropion
    * butalbital/ acetaminophen
    * BZDs, all
    * calendula
    * cannabinoids
    * capsicum
    * carisoprodol/ aspirin
    * central alpha 2 agonists
    * cetirizine
    * cetirizine/ pseudoephedrine
    * chamomile, German
    * chlordiazepoxide/ clidinium
    * chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan
    * chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * chlorpheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ pseudoephedrine
    * chlorpheniramine/ hydrocodone
    * CNS depressant/ aspirin/ caffeine combos
    * dantrolene
    * doxylamine/ dextromethorphan
    * droperidol
    * ethanol
    * ethosuximide
    * gabapentin
    * ginseng, Siberian
    * goldenseal
    * gotu kola
    * hawthorn
    * hydrocodone/ ibuprofen
    * kava
    * lemon balm
    * levocetirizine
    * lindane topical
    * melatonin
    * meprobamate
    * methadone
    * metoclopramide
    * mitotane
    * morphine liposomal
    * olanzapine/ fluoxetine
    * olopatadine nasal
    * opiate agonist/ antagonists
    * opiate/ acetaminophen combos
    * opiate/ aspirin combos
    * opiates
    * oxcarbazepine
    * oxycodone/ ibuprofen
    * passionflower
    * pheniramine/ dextromethorphan/ phenylephrine
    * phenobarbital/ hyoscyamine/ atropine/ scopolamine
    * phenothiazines
    * pimozide
    * pramipexole
    * pregabalin
    * promethazine/ codeine
    * propofol
    * propoxyphene
    * propoxyphene/ acetaminophen
    * ropinirole
    * rotigotine transdermal
    * rufinamide
    * sedative/ hypnotics
    * sodium phosphate
    * sodium sulfate/ potassium sulfate/ magnesium sulfate
    * tapentadol
    * tetrabenazine
    * thalidomide
    * tiagabine
    * topiramate
    * tramadol
    * tramadol/ acetaminophen
    * tricyclic antidepressants
    * valerian
    * valproic acid derivatives
    * vigabatrin
    * ziconotide intrathecal
    * zonisamide

:goodjob:

Thanks very much
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Wow, that is quite the list!! Thanks so much for posting that!
      It's too bad they don't also list some of the common names, but I guess that if someone wants to check something specific, they can just google it.
      That's what I did with bupropion, because I thought it sounded familiar. Turns out it's Welbutrin.

:thanks:
      Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
      ~Clutch

Comment

Surprising and puzzling that BZDs (benzodiazepines) are included, but not zolpidem, when Dr. L warned against zolpidem and recommends xanax (Alprazolam -- which is a benzo) instead.

(btw, still not on internet. back later)
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Has anyone taken bac with benzos? I thought I'd read somewhere here that Dr L or Dr A said they were OK.
          Daughter takes diazepam (valium) and zopiclone (imovane). Zop not strictly benzo, but same pathways.
          The list above says 'caution advised'. Can anyone share their experiences?

Comment

This list is insane. I can't believe how many common drugs that interact or potentially interact with bac.
            This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Ibuprofen isn't listed on its own, only with those 2 opioid derivatives. Does that mean Ibuprofen on its own is safe? And if not, and aspirin is also listed, does this mean we can't take any NSAIDs? And if so, wtf are we meant to take as an anti-inflammatory?

Sorry for all these questions, it's just that actually considering potential dangers from the chemicals I ingest is an entirely new concept to me. :blush:

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

I am not a physician and have no background/knowledge of medicine!

Alright, folks, here's the deal.
                Go to epocrates.com. In the upper right hand corner there is a button that says 'epocrates online'.
                You will be prompted to sign up, for free. Being unduly paranoid, I have a gmail account that I created specifically for all things related to baclofen. I used that account, rather than my personal one, and used made up information for all the rest of the questions. (name: baclofen address: 1 Baclofen Way, baclofen, USA.)
                They'll send you confirmation in your email.
                Then when you get back on you put baclofen in the search engine. (MAKE SURE you don't choose "intrathecal baclofen" That's the pump they put in under the skin and that sh*t is scary!) Also keep in mind that these interactions are relevant with common, FDA approved, protocols, NOT high-dose-baclofen treatment for addiction.

Choose 'Drug interactions' and the list will pop up. If you highlight the drug you're interested in it will give you a brief synopsis of why it's contraindicated.

I believe that nsaids are off the table only in combination with other things.

I looked up benzos, BZDs in this case. It says there is an increased risk of CNS depression and psychomotor impairment. And addiction.
                I am not a physician and have no knowledge of anything related to medicine!

After reading this list, carefully and using google to define many of the words, I came to the conclusion that I could not understand it all. So I stopped taking anything except baclofen. But I have no pressing underlying medical issues. Not one.

If you do have life-altering medical issues that you must medicate, you MUST sign up at epocrates/phone a physician/do a lot of research.

Comment

bumpity bump.

Epocrates.com, friends. Sign up. Free membership for three months. ALL you could ever want to know about stuff like this.

Comment

More relevant info, maybe.

Comment

This thread is great! I'm just starting my bac journey - today! So...I think I may have to break down and call Dr. L because I am on an antidepressant (Celexa/Citalopram) and I also take aspirin daily (low dose). So if I see aspirin (plus it has other drugs as combo) do I quit the aspirin or only if i have it in that combo?

I know you are not a Dr. - but your advice on all the forums always seems spot on! Thanks NE!

Em

Comment

Wish they had brand names for the on-patent drugs. Am working with my MD shrink tro get off everything except the bac. More about that in (on?) my own thread.

Comment

This bring up my unease about taking bac, caution is advised with so many drugs, I have to admit I am feeling good right now on 30mg. My doc also has prescribed me amitriptyline and chlonidine but caution is advised when taking these with bac so I havent been taking them. I think my effexor and bac are ok tho.

Comment

Emcee;1251548 wrote: This thread is great! I'm just starting my bac journey - today! So...I think I may have to break down and call Dr. L because I am on an antidepressant (Celexa/Citalopram) and I also take aspirin daily (low dose). So if I see aspirin (plus it has other drugs as combo) do I quit the aspirin or only if i have it in that combo?

I know you are not a Dr. - but your advice on all the forums always seems spot on! Thanks NE!

Em
                            Thanks, Em. Congratulations on the start! Here's the thing to keep in mind...These things are often contraindicated based on combinations of things. Aspirin? Pretty innocuous. Especially low dose. And I can't remember exactly, but it's contraindicated based on kidney function, I think, and only in combination with other things, right?
                            Antidepressants? I'd look closely at that. Not simply because of the bac, but also because of the bac. They are working, in some ways, toward the same purpose, right? Dopamine/serotonin etc. And there might be some evidence that they increase craving for alcohol. Not good evidence, but enough that I won't take an SSRI. But I also have a lot of negative associations and too much random information about SSRIs. So I can't say what is my own prejudice and what is "real".
                            It's all relative. I've known several people who have taken ADs and been fine. They seem to have (or not) the same SEs as the rest of us. Slow and steady with your eyes firmly on the goal and none of the rest of it will matter. You'll get there.

suneelca;1252299 wrote: Wish they had brand names for the on-patent drugs. Am working with my MD shrink tro get off everything except the bac. More about that in (on?) my own thread.
                            You can just google 'em Sun. I didn't see it on your thread, but I'd use extraordinary caution changing things that affect your brain chemistry if you've been on them for a good long while. I figure you know this. And having said that...Well, I've met plenty of people who simply stopped taking stuff. ADs and sleep meds in particular. But also several other meds that well-intentioned docs put us on to try to help. Bac works in amazing ways. I know it fixed whatever ailed me.

spacebebe01;1252415 wrote:
                            This bring up my unease about taking bac, caution is advised with so many drugs, I have to admit I am feeling good right now on 30mg. My doc also has prescribed me amitriptyline and chlonidine but caution is advised when taking these with bac so I havent been taking them. I think my effexor and bac are ok tho.
                            :H Have you ever read the cautions, the SEs, the contraindications for every antidepressant on the market? How about aspirin? And don't even get me started with Tylenol (acetaminophen)!!! I will issue a warning to all drinkers, across the board, without hesitation: Do not take acetaminophen! It is NOT good for you.

Caution is likely advised based on a couple of things: The fact that bac is processed through your kidneys. So taking stuff that goes the same way can be taxing on the body for people who have kidney problems. Bac works on the central nervous system. So taking other things that work along that path are listed. Again, it's the quantity and the pre-existing conditions that matter the most. If you have apnea, or trouble breathing in general, taking bac and something else that slows down your respiration is not a good idea. Right? Especially if you're taking a lot of bac. But in general? For those of us that don't have problems breathing? (Even with my currently 2-pack-a-day-habit, my breathing is okay! ) It's fine. Just to be clear: I AM NOT A DOCTOR, nor do I have any medical background or idea about what is best for anyone other than me. (and that is often a challenge to figure out! )

Here's just an idea of what Effexor lists:
                            The SEs are endless, so I won't list them here. But all SSRIs now come with this warning in bold at the top of the list:
                            Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults...

And yet, they are the most prescribed mental health medication there is.

The list of contraindications is as long, or longer, than the one for bac. So I won't list them here. But it includes things like St. John's Wort. And antihistamines. And pain medications. Including this one:
                            Aspirin can increase the risk of bleeding when used with this medication.

And alcohol is absolutely contraindicated with ADs and can cause some severe and dangerous long term SEs. And yet, it is the most common medication prescribed to alcoholics. And it is very, very common. As you well know.

just sayin'

Comment

bump for Jim.

Comment

Working...
                              X