Bill G's baclofen journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, I can relate to a lot of what you've written.

There was a period of time when I had to check in with friends to make sure that I was behaving normally. Several periods of time, actually.
    Mostly they just said I seemed a little out of it, a little distracted, but nothing serious or alarming.
    But I felt as though I wasn't connecting, wasn't making sense all the time.

What I really related to was this:

Bill Gorton;1083316 wrote: ....
    When I was almost home today, I started feeling something strange. A tension in my neck and back, and a tingling in my face and head. My hands felt a little shaky. Was I about to have a seizure?
    That happened to me several times. It was very scary. I wasn't sure if I was losing my mind or if something was actually happening to me. Those SEs were not listed anywhere that I could see. Most people who responded suggested it was a panic attack. But there was the tingling and tenseness in my head and neck and upper back. It was very confusing.
    It was for that reason that I had an MRI. I also had two ER visits related to those symptoms. Turned out everything was normal! From blood pressure to oxygen to liver to heart to brain. All fine.
    I can't offer you any suggestions, I just wanted you to know that I don't think I'm particularly nuts, and I experienced those things too.
    I think a doctor would be a good idea, for sure. And if your doc knows about your drinking s/he probably won't be shocked about the rest of it. (meaning bac) My doctor didn't have any reaction when I told her about the bac, but that was loooong after all the tests, etc. I never told her that the two were related.

At the time I had those SEs I just plowed through it. (arranged my schedule so that I could do as little as humanly possible, treated myself as though I had the flu and was very, very gentle with myself. I used the excuse at work that I was having panic attacks and insomnia related to depression. That I was trying combinations of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds that seemed to be making things worse, but that my doctor wanted me to continue on for "at least a month." Those excuses are very valid, very acceptable.)

They didn't last long, and were exacerbated, I thought, by drinking and sleeplessness. Perhaps I was wrong though. Still, they didn't last.
    Neither did the paranoia.
    I hope it gets easier for you, and quickly. (I think it will!) I also hope that you can discuss it with your doc and that you find a receptive listener if you do go that route.

Comment

Thank you VERY much for that, NE.
      I've got to keep this kinda short because I'm posting on a blackberry. I leave for my appointment in six hours. Has anyone else talked to their doc about their bac use? Has anyone had anything bad happen because of it?

Comment

Went to see my doc. Didn't get around to mentioning baclofen. She seemed really busy. I started feeling really panicky at work today and ended up leaving a half hour before I had intended. I got a referral to see a psychologist in two weeks, and a script for Paxil and 20 x 0.25mg alprazolam. Think I'll wait until I'm mostly off the bac before I start the Paxil.

I've decided to start titrating down from baclofen. If I have to be admitted to a psych ward, it will be hard to convince them to continue the baclofen. I've been thinking that I didn't get this way when I was on naltrexone. Then again, I wasn't just out of a year-long relationship with psychopath. But I don't think baclofen is for me, at least not at this dose.

The funny thing was, I was indifferent to alcohol most of the time. I didn't even think about drinking for a few days, even though I had a fridge full of beer. It was just Friday and Saturday night that got to me. Baclofen won't fix that.

Comment

Bill I've had similar experiences with Baclofen. Most of the time I just feel plain wierd. I'll add at this point that in the past I have been a very happy, positive person who has bloomed in sobriety. Since taking Baclofen I've just drooped big style, I simply can't be bothered with anything. My hair and skin are incredibly oily too - often I'm washing my hair twice daily. This isn't normal, my hair was lank when I drank a lot, but whenever I had sober periods it became bouncy within a few days. This is weeks now. I'm also still bloated despite exercising most days, and eating healthily. Once again in the past I would lose weight fairly quickly during periods of sobriety and I'm following the same training pattern, and diet that has worked previously.

I do know these could be signs of something like PCOS, but funny that it's only occured since I took the Baclofen. That would be a massive co-incidence and I had my ovaries checked 3 1/2 years ago anyway. I'll be asking the Doctor but I'm wondering if I'm reacting to something in the tablets. I had a bad time with Tramadol some years ago, which aside from getting high on it I also blew up massively and generally looked & felt terrible most of the time. Perhaps I don't like the fillers!

This is aside from feeling mentally off all the time. I am thinking of titrating back down, it's a difficult decision but I cannot go on like this. I hate myself every single day, am paranoid, depressed, lethargic, can't connect with people at all. I sometimes feel I'm in a waking nightmare. It's almost as bad as drinking. So I'm going to have to stop. Baclofen has taken away my cravings, but I did drink for the hell of it one day this week. Apart from that I've been sober for the best part of 4 weeks, but I'm not looking or feeling any better for it. Only think I can think of is to titrate back down.

Comment

Bill Gorton;1083863 wrote: Think I'll wait until I'm mostly off the bac before I start the Paxil.
            May not be a bad idea to get further down before starting on the Paxil. You'll have a better idea of what's what.

I've decided to start titrating down from baclofen. If I have to be admitted to a psych ward, it will be hard to convince them to continue the baclofen. I've been thinking that I didn't get this way when I was on naltrexone . . . the funny thing was, I was indifferent to alcohol most of the time.
            Going back through old posts, I realized that this as a common reaction. Baclofen does work, but for a lot of people it's not worth giving up a certain quality of life and mind. I'm really sorry it didn't work better for you, Bill. :l

I wish there was a way past all the SE's. I've said it before - it really is the big problem with this protocol, the only real problem, with the bac.

Again, I wish it had worked the way you wanted it to. Are you going back on the Nal?

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Ukblonde;1083969 wrote: This isn't normal, my hair was lank when I drank a lot, but whenever I had sober periods it became bouncy within a few days. This is weeks now.
              Hey! It hadn't occurred to me until you wrote that, but my hair has gone all lifeless too. I blamed it on my hairdresser for thinning it too much. It didn't occur to me that it could be part of the bac thing.

This is aside from feeling mentally off all the time. I am thinking of titrating back down, it's a difficult decision but I cannot go on like this. I hate myself every single day, am paranoid, depressed, lethargic, can't connect with people at all. I sometimes feel I'm in a waking nightmare. It's almost as bad as drinking. So I'm going to have to stop. Baclofen has taken away my cravings, but I did drink for the hell of it one day this week. Apart from that I've been sober for the best part of 4 weeks, but I'm not looking or feeling any better for it. Only think I can think of is to titrate back down.
              UK, I noticed that you've seemed terribly unhappy and kind of reclusive. I thought maybe it was because you were hitting some depression that maybe you were drinking past before. From what you wrote here, it doesn't sound like it. Can you tell me again what dose you are on? Whatever you decide to do, I hope you keep us in the loop. People here do care about you. :l

It's also possible that it will be helpful for us to learn about what titrating down looks like. A lot of posters from the past started titrating down and just went *poof* and weren't heard from since. I'm wondering if a lower dose of bac couldn't be used as a sort of damage control rather than staying at the switch dose.

Anyway, sorry it's not working out for you. :l

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Tracy

Yes a lot of people have assumed I am like this as a person. My personality has changed massively since I've been taking baclofen. I have found it very difficult to get involved in life, whereas in the past I'd be doing all sorts of things, every day that I was sober or drinking very little. I've come across here as glum because that's how I've gone. This isn't me at all, last summer I was very supportive of others in other parts of the forum. Now I'm as you say very reclusive, I don't want to join in at all. Yes I would experience depression after long drinking bouts, but not like this - and it always cleared up with some AF days. I've had a good 4 weeks now, apart from this last Tuesday and I still feel like rubbish.

Comment

UK, somewhere around here is a post with a study that showed in females the bac causes a reduction of serotonin. I think. I'll have to go dig it up again. I wonder if that might not be a part of the "rubbish" feelings you are struggling with. Whatever you decide to do, please keep posting!

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Can someone tell me the best way to contact Dr L? Is he still taking new patients? I'd prefer to email him rather than call his home number. I live within a day's drive of Chicago.

Comment

Check you PM box, Bill.
                      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

mini-hijack for Tracy and UK. My hair and nails both went thin and brittle with the baclofen. I started taking Biosil, a liquid silicon product. (about 4x the recommended dosage per day!) It helps - they're still a little funky, but much better than before. Amazon has it and so does Vitacost.
                        "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Thanks, RT. I haven't decided whether to call Dr. L yet. I want to move toward only taking bac in the evening. I am at absolutely no risk of drinking during the day while I'm at work. Until recently, I hadn't even drunk before 7 pm on the weekends. I think I'm going to gradually get down to 50 mg at 5:00 pm and 50 at 8:00 pm, and then maybe another 25-50 mg before bed. That way, maybe I'll be a little more clearheaded during the day, and I would be taking a lower daily dose. I seem to be able to handle the SEs better an night anyway. If that doesn't work any better, then maybe I'll call the doctor. Any thoughts?

Comment

Bill. I sent you info on genetic testing. Its on the Nal thread.
                            I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Working...
                            X