Daily dosing record - beatle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I have been taking bac for 18 months and have not yet hit the switch.

As many people on this forum know, I have been taking an extremely cautious titration course because of terrible side effects (SEs).

I now believe I have been too cautious, and may well have reached the switch within months had I been braver and more aggressive.

I believe more than ever that there really is a "switch" -- not just a place where you can take it or leave it, where you can control your cravings, etc... I KNOW there is a real switch because I know a lot of real people that it happened to. And I intend to find mine.

(And when I do, I intend to come back here and keep banging it into every new (or old) person's head.)

I was also under the false impression (that many newcomers may also find themselves duped by) that there is a bac/weight ratio at which the switch occurs. Apparently there is not any connection (although there may be a correlation), but unfortunately Dr. OA puts this idea forth in his book, although he does not stress it. But people have clung to it as an indicator of where they need to go to hit their switch, or if they pass it (as I did long ago) that they will never reach their switch.

So to put the record straight for anyone who is new, or still wonders about this, the dose at which you will hit your switch is not related to your weight. It is a combination of genetics and chemistry -- none of us seems to know exactly what roles these play (more about that in a separate post), but the weight/dose/switch connection apparently does not exist.

(Virgil, please accept my huge, humble and heartfelt apologies!)

As I start a more aggressive approach, I have decided to keep a journal on dosing here on the meds forum.

For now, this is just a dosage journal. I wish I had time to comment on my SEs, general impressions, experiences, other important factors – how much drinking, what was going on in my personal life at the time, how much I slept, changes in baclofen supplier, etc. — hope to do that as time goes by.

This is just for me – to keep track of what I am taking. (I do this anyway in a notebook, so all the info is there going back – but I am not going to retype it now (just from Thursday)).

Had been at around 170-200 in last weeks of December beginning January. Had been pushing it up randomly, just feeling my way up (see how my body feels… if I remember, and if I feel I can handle it , add a dose, or increase a dose). The main thing was, although erratic and inconsistent, I never allowed more than 5 hours to go between doses, usually closer to 3-4 hour intervals).

Last few weeks trying for 240-260… mostly ending around or under 240.

Thursday, Feb 17
    06:00 bac 30
    11:00 bac 50
    14.20 bac 50
    18.00 bac 50
    21.45 bac 30
    02.00 bac 20
    Total for 24 hours: 230

Friday, Feb 18
    06.00 bac 35
    09.45 bac 50
    12.20 bac 50
    16.30 bac 50
    21.05 bac 45
    03.50 bac 30
    Total for 24 hours: 240

Saturday, Feb 18

9.20 bac 35
    11.30 bac 35
    (ate very small breakfast and started drinking around this time)
    14.00 bac 35
    very strong SEs – probably from the combination of little food and drinking in the middle of the day. Went to take a nap and could not sleep because of extreme SEs – agitation, tight chest, sound hallucinations…
    Later, it occurred to me that my body was actually having withdrawal from bac because the amount I had taken thus far that day was far less than it would have normally been. So, despite the terrible SEs…
    17.40 bac 35
    18.30 bac 10
    Was going to a party (almost didn’t go because of the extreme SEs, but it was a very important family function, so I forced myself to, although I was really scared.)
    Drank at least 3 units before we left for the party, and then 2 glasses of champagne as soon as we got there to calm the SEs. Drank very little the rest of the night (2 glasses red wine over 6 hours. Completely effortlessly.)

20.00 bac 25
    23.30 bac 25
    03.00 bac 25
    Total for 24 hours: 225

Sunday, Feb 20 (today)
    08.15 bac 25
    Drank a big drink at 11:00
    12.20 bac 45
    Severe SEs… tingling and real jarring electric shocks on hands, feet and head (a new one on me). Complete inability to focus. Panic and physical distress. Hallucinatory noises and lights across my eyes.
    16.20 bac 25
    (I should have taken this an hour earlier, for sure, but the SEs deterred me… probably a big mistake.)
    18.30 bac 25
    20.55 bac 25

(rest to come)

You will see how these doses are different and spaced very differently, based both on my schedule and how I feel... I do set alarms, but sometimes I turn them off without following up and realize it later, and sometimes I just don't feel up to it, so I wait... other times I feel like I can take 25, but not 50...

If you have the time and inclination to read through my dosages and have any ideas ot insights about what might be right or wrong, and how I should change it, please let me know. In any event, I will keep posting my dosing as a record for myself, and hopefully adding relevant information later.

Ftr, I am travelling tomorrow and I have never got on a plane without drinking for at least 24 hours beforehand. I don’t expect this to change for this trip, and am already on my second beer (plus a big drink thrown in the morning), despite feeling physically abysmal. I cannot conceive of packing without drinking. I cannot conceive of getting on a plane sober. But feeling physically crappy, together with not so much alcohol in the house (well-planned on my part – just enough to keep me calm, not enough to get trashed) increases the chances of my making it to the airport, and on to the plane. touch wood.

I hope to be able to make more updates later.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Thanks for posting this beatle. I am ramping up next week, and it is good to know what to expect.
    Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
    - Jacob August Riis

Comment

:clapping2:

beatle has a thread! beatle has a thread! woop woop! yahooo!
      ('bout feckin' time.)

ok. sorry.
      What do you mean you're getting on a plane? Are you going to bring us along with you???

grrrr.
      :h
      K/Ne
      EDIT: Not sure I agree with you about the 'switch'. You'll have to weigh in on that when you get there.
      And um, the amount of bac you're taking seems awfully flexible on any given day. What's up with that? If I had to do it over again I'd use Dr. OA's titration, every 3 days, 20mg. However, there is some recent very convincing posts about drinking and the higher levels of bac. And I can attest to how much it hurts. ?

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1063261 wrote: :clapping2:
        Are you going to bring us along with you???
        K/Ne
        I take you with me everywhere ? all of you.

You are held safely over my shoulder in passport control, you are tucked snug above my head while I watch the in-flight program (and often I let you out for a couple hours during the flight ? but then we can't connect directly), and you keep me company during my layovers (at which time I can and do connect directly with you).

I would never/could never leave you behind.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Just make sure you don't have a somnolence, hallicinatory attack during passport control. You might not make it onto the plane.

Comment

Hey Beatle: I've taken a few trips (long ones to remote places) when my friends had to pack for me I was so drunk. So I like your plan!!

I've also done those same trips with baclofen. Never a problem for me. Not that weird things can't happen, just casting my vote that your plan works in every way.
            "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Beatle, I'm glad you started a thread! Yay!

I relate, I used to fly every week, sometimes four times a week, and always terribly hungover to the point of needing to make sure I had an airsick bag in the seat pocket. Trying not to puke on a 7am flight is a miserable way to start a day of meetings.

Hang on to the successful night Satuday of more controlled drinking. Can you take something to calm yourself, maybe Gaba or something? That may help for today's drinking.

xxxooo

Comment

Thanks, all. I realized this was a wacky time to start the thread, seeing as these will be a wacky couple days -- all routines shattered. But I felt it might be a good way to keep me accountable, too.

Still, I'm cringing to think what I'll be posting in the next day or two... and how it will reflect on me.

Comment

Oh yeah, bruun, I've done many of those early morning flights with nausea so bad I couldn't even force myself to drink a little hair of the dog... now that's bad.

I have a lot of calming supplements. GABA, True Calm, Taurine, Symmmetry, etc.

Not sure how well they work.

Comment

Know what you mean about ? how effective these are? I find Calms Forte sometimes does just the trick and sometimes doesn't help at all. When I did the first MWO effort with the hypnotherapy, Topa, Calms Forte, All-in-One, I felt pretty good and the Calms helped me. However, it apparently wasn't an effective long term solution for me.

Comment

Hallelujah!

I agree with neva, it's tad erratic, but posting here is a good start. I think just one day's erratic-ness will reduce the overall effect of the baclofen, it becomes the weakest link in the chain you are building, so try and keep it all consistent. Erratic-ness doesn't matter so much on the high side, but definitely effects the low end of the scale.

Perhaps post the dosing schedule you would like to maintain, all other things being equal. I know if I were to take 50mg's at a time, I would be a drooling mess of a human, so perhaps consider splitting the doses? It's possible to take 450mg's in a day without ever taking more than 30mg's at a time...

Good to see this thread beatle, we are all going to hop all over you if we see any slip-ups!

Comment

I want to update this, I think. Not sure if I'd rather leave it to languish (already middle of page 2, which is good). But I've been trying to write a post for over 2 hours. Can't manage. I guess this is ODing on bac. It is not fun at all. Thought I was "only" at 250, but must have lost track somehow, because I am speeding/falling asleep/speeding uncontrollably. It is more than disturbing. Does this sound like a bac OD? I can't focus for 19 seconds. I am not able to do anything.

Comment

it might well be! Won't last more than a couple of hours if that's the case, so don't be alarmed.

You MUST come up with a schedule that you can stick to. This will help reduce errors like this, as well as give you a proper titration plan, which you need to hit the switch.

Comment

Starting to calm down now.

Newbies, please don't be put off by this, and doubters, if you are unwilling to suffer to rid yourself of a lifelong debilitation that will end in early death and much more suffering, then go suffer in quiet and peace. I can't be afraid to post any upsetting experience for fear of others latching on to it and increasing doubt about baclofen.

Thanks to the people here, I can recognize this as an SE. And I am not a wimp.

Must go to sleep.

Comment

I've had similar experiences Beatle but at lower doses, and it was quite scary especially in public. Mostly I found it was exacerbated to a dangerous level for up to 24 hours after drinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X