X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest! for bac

For the permanent record

Quoting:
    Use the big quote button in the lower right corner to quote one post. You can delete within the quote as long as you don't move or change the stuff in the [....].

To quote multiple posts you can hit
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/ne...eply&p=1107119
    the button with the "+
    next to the big quote button.

For both options when you hit Post Reply the quoted material will show up.
    xo

Edit: I WILL learn how to put pictures in here. No, don't tell me (again). Apparently I have to learn how to do it myself or I simply won't remember. Darn baclofen does not give me a photographic memory or magically enhance my computer skills. I suppose I'll just have to quit it and find some other solution to ALL of my problems. oh. wait. It's done that.

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Ne/Neva Eva;1107119 wrote: ...

One of the things most of us have in common, though, is that we all want to get off of bac as soon as possible.

I'm not bothered anymore about taking baclofen for the rest of my life. The only thing that bothers me is sorting out the necessary supply issues for that. There may be long term consequences that we are unaware of, but the medical literature shows nothing so far, so I'm relatively happy.

And who knows, maybe we can gradually get off it anyway. What a bonus that would be!

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Hi Evey, just read your post about being reluctant to taper down and it reminiscent of my titration. After a while the SEs even when not extreme were tedious and annoying I longed for the end. It was well known that they would subside after 5 days but after 10 days and they were still there in desperation I increased the dose rather than go down. Love to say the SEs disappeared, unfortunately that wasn't the case BUT fairly soon after I stopped wanting to drink!

Chi - have you hit the switch? I must have missed the cheers!

Hi Z. Just a shout out to wish you good luck.
        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Ne/Neva Eva;1107119 wrote: ...
          Keep your eyes on the goal, though, Eve, and let that be your guide, okay?
          Thanks Ne! That's the plan. I really appreciate you and Bleep being there every step of the way. I can't tell you how much it has helped me.

Zephra;1107101 wrote:
          Hey Evey, good to see your almost at the switch at 150mgs. Will go back and read how long it took you.
          Zephra, I started taking bac at the very end of Feb., only 15 mgs a day-didn't see that much of an improvement I felt a lot of trepidation placing my first order and made the mistake of not ordering that much, so I ran out. I was out of bac for around a week and then my next order came on 3/11. So, I have been taking it continously for seven weeks. I saw such a dramatic difference in my drinking, the first day that I took it on 3/11 at 30 mgs, I only had a few drinks. My drinking was so low and the restraint so effortless that I was sure I would never need to go past 100mg.

The week that I took 70 mg, I drank the most that I ever drank on bac, one night I drank 3/4 of what I normally did. It scared me a little, what was so easy at the lower doses no longer was. I can only think that it was my mind being scared of how it was going to cope without the AL. I used AL to have a good time but I also heavily relied on it in my fight or flight response to stress. I would just keep everything bottled in all day and then pick up the bottle. I really did not want to go very high on Bac, I was a little scared for a lot of reasons.

So after I go to 100mg, I would only go up by 10mg a week. I also am suffering from insomnia, so the tempation to significantly increase my dose is not there. I think you should stick with it but listen to your body and pay attention to your cravings. I found that I would need to take almost of all the bac that I needed for the day before the time that I started to drink. I don't take it all before but I try to take most of it before that time or even take it by that time-knowing that it's not all in my system yet.You are at 60mgs right, that's about where I was when I saw the increase in drinking from the past weeks. Hang in there you can do it. :l

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Zephra;1107101 wrote: Hi Chi, thanks for the support. I am drinking about a bottle of red a night. Last night a bottle and a 1/2 of red. Did not have a hangover when I work up. I have extra stress right now and what do I do, get shit faced. Funny the week before I was only drink a 1/2 bottle. I am not going to stress about it, I have read on here lots of people going through the ups and downs of ale and then bam, no desire.

Hey Evey, good to see your almost at the switch at 150mgs. Will go back and read how long it took you.

Bleep, next time I will try to get the quote thing right with one quote. I think I erased the top part that you need to quote with. z
            Hi z, you are right lots of people do go up and down along the way. I certainly did. Then looking back I noticed it was less and less and less... with some variation usually when a stressful event would hit. I also understand being scared to go higher. I stayed at 50-75 for almost a year. I don't regret it, like I have said before I was happy to see the progress, and didn't shoot for AF right off the bat. I think going slow also gave me the chance to deal with the SE's, my body was really used to 50-75 before I went up. Funny how that bump up to 100 really seemed to move me towards indifference though.

It seems to me the speed at which to go is highly individual, if you go up this weekend and the SE's bother you, you can always back down... or maybe not depending on life circumstances. Don't worry about the bottle and a half last night, today is a new day and tonight may be different. Sorry to hear about the stress though. Is bac helping with anxiety at all? It did for me, which was a bonus. I had to get used to it though, sometimes I didn't know if I was relaxed or getting somnolence lol. Either way I noticed I wasn't freaking out with stress, and haven't had a panic attack in a very long time.

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Hey Ig, The only real SE that I have and cannot bear is the insomnia, the lack of motiviation is bothersome-but I can work with it. Glad to hear that you stuck with it and it paid off.

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

:wavin:Hi
                Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Evey great post and I too remember feeling the bac work at low doses and then the cravings came back... scared me too, but like you I think it was my habit and psychological dependence on AL to relieve stress. If you give it time it starts to work itself out though... (the psychological part). Even now.... I miss that first drink after work to "unwind", but if I just look for a distraction I get past it with little effort because the craving doesn't kick in... that "craving" is a real bitch and *that* is the beauty of bac.

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

ps- Evey have you tried taking your doses early to help with insomnia? That has helped me, and seems the bac is still in my system at night (no craving). I broke the doses up and took some every hour or two early. Is that possible for you?

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Thanks for the shout out Ig. z

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

A lot of people complain about insomnia with baclofen. I get a version of it, in that I only sleep about five hours a night now, but to me, it's not insomnia at all, but a gift. If you are tired, then it's a curse, but make sure you aren't just moaning about the lack of sleep out of habit...

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Thanks Chi! I haven't really changed how I have dosed out the bac during the day. However, I do take all of it 5 hours before I go to sleep. I could start taking more throughout the day but I don't want to be too spacey at work. How many hours are you taking it before you go to sleep? The one night that I went down 20mgs, I had great sleep and had great sleep the next night when I took my regular dose. I worked out on both of those days so maybe that helped.

Bleep, I would be happy to get 5 hours of sleep. At one point, my sleep was so terrible that I got completely run down and sick. I took a day off of work because I felt so bad. I did get two good nights of sleep last week though. The insomnia is a problem.

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Sorry Evey, I wasn't making light of the insomnia. There is light at the end of the tunnel, in playing with the timings, but I'm ill advised to advise, given my take on the matter.

I do know that on the occasions that I can, an afternoon nap is the perfect thing for me. It is seldom feasible for me though. Are you in a position where this is a possibility?

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

I apologise Evey, I was sort of missing the point. I know we talked about it on another thread but can remember whether it was you or Chi replying and can't find it!

At least 5 hours before your bed time is good, if you can do more it may be better.

Xanax, turned my lights out like a switch and has been recommended many times by Dr L as an accompanying drug for baclofen.

Exercise - 20mins cardio at least per day can do wonders for sleep. Thinking about it for 120 mins doesn't count!

There's a character on here called Longshot who had the worse case of insomnia I've come across. Think it maybe somewhat resolved now. Dominated his life for a period so I think its a good chance he will have some suggestions if you pm.

Remind me about the Xanax and the exercise. Thanks

Comment

Newbies Nest! for bac

Hi Bleep, Yes, I can take naps. I have taken a nap on a few nights and they have really saved me. I feel really lucky that I am able to do that. I do want to thank you for being here all along the way. I really appreciate it a lot, a whole lot. I know that you like to sleep on less hours, so it's probably not something you can really understand.

Ig, you didn't miss the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X