Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authenticity of Baclofen ?

Hi folks,

Its been a couple of years that the Dr. OA wrote a book on his successful remedies of alcoholism using high doses Baclofen. Why we are still in confusion to use it as a remedy of addiction ??

1.Does anyone know what kind of researches have been going on by a authorised body to make it undisputed ?
    2. Do you know if WHO is concerned and doing researches in this way out for alcoholism ?

3. Do you think the world is indifference in giving of prescription of Baclofen on the ground of loosing alcoholic markets and employments opportunities ?

Otherwise it should be widely available and prescribed to any of the patients.
    Curious to know the fact !!!!!
    Dixon
    A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

There is/was a study recently in the Netherlands (I think). I suspect that even it was pretty small though.

I think that docs don't know because there isn't research being done because grantors (read, big-pharma) don't want to help promote an old drug that they cannot make huge profits on.

I like your idea of involving WHO though. I wonder if anyone has ever tried.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Hi Tracy and all ,,

I have just used my common sense that people may make money on the ground of Al treatment ! It may be applied to one person like Dr. OA and not to others .
      Just think in another way for a while ,he could be out of this addiction reducing his depression,getting help from his fellow doctors,raising self esteem,and could be perceived that cause of high dose Baclofen ?? No idea ??
      Please do not take it negatively as I am concerned about the WTO, why it is not taking necessary action against medicine Mafia?.This is the concern of the whole world and not just some big pharmaceuticals ??

It must be a concern of the organization like WHO ! Isn't it ?
      Lets have a clear vision from our seniors and forum launcher !
      Dixon

Comment

1) Not enough research but some , including the study ($0.5m - funded by an individual)) going on in the Netherlands
        2) Never heard of WHO's involvement or interest
        3) Baclofen is a generic drug on which the patient has long since expired. Big pharma generally fund research and make a profit when a drug is approved. Baclofen falls outside the usual business plan. Clearly many big money corporations will loose a lot of income if baclofen becomes the norm for treating alcoholism.
        4) Posters on this site are continuously lamenting the fact that doctors are so resistant to new methods of treatment and that a 'non pharmaceutical company' (govt. WHO or others) hasn't stepped in to fund the traditionally required research.
        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

ignominious;1069649 wrote: 1) Not enough research but some , including the study ($0.5m - funded by an individual)) going on in the Netherlands
          2) Never heard of WHO's involvement or interest
          3) Baclofen is a generic drug on which the patient has long since expired. Big pharma generally fund research and make a profit when a drug is approved. Baclofen falls outside the usual business plan. Clearly many big money corporations will loose a lot of income if baclofen becomes the norm for treating alcoholism.
          4) Posters on this site are continuously lamenting the fact that doctors are so resistant to new methods of treatment and that a 'non pharmaceutical company' (govt. WHO or others) hasn't stepped in to fund the traditionally required research.
          Thanks friend !

Its too bad for us ! we are always in confusion while using Baclofen and others medication !!
          Likewise, MWO working for us we need to create a revolution and submit a memo paper to WHO for its conclusion.May be we should be united and contribute our efforts for this holly job ??
          Just an idea ...

Dixon

Comment

dixon;1069647 wrote: I have just used my common sense that people may make money on the ground of Al treatment ! It may be applied to one person like Dr. OA and not to others .
            I'm not quite sure that I'm following you here, Dixon. I think OA made money on the book (I sure hope so), and maybe on speaking fees. But I don't think, that I know of, he was ever part of the addiction treatment industry - at least not the way that Hazeldon or those types are, or the way that the makers of Campral, etc., are.

Just think in another way for a while ,he could be out of this addiction reducing his depression,getting help from his fellow doctors,raising self esteem,and could be perceived that cause of high dose Baclofen ?? No idea ??
            I'm not sure what you're asking (and I don't know much anyway). I don't know how much of what OA does is philanthropic. I do know that he's trying to spread the word via medical schools and such. Dr. L is definitely philanthropic and trying to help at the down and dirty level of one-to-one with individuals. It's all pretty remarkable.

Please do not take it negatively as I am concerned about the WTO, why it is not taking necessary action against medicine Mafia?.This is the concern of the whole world and not just some big pharmaceuticals ??
            Heck, yes. You are right. I never would have thought of the WHO. I wonder if they've ever been approached. That approach would likely be more successful if a respected medical professional made it though (whose going to listen to a bunch of drunks on an internet message board?)

It must be a concern of the organization like WHO ! Isn't it ?
            Lets have a clear vision from our seniors and forum launcher !
            I don't think there are any "seniors" really. It's all too new. The forum launcher, if you mean the person who launched MWO, was showing interest in this five years ago (along with just about anything that showed promise, including hallucinogens and natural remedies). Here's a link to an article she posted:

Can Alcoholism Be Treated?

But she's not active here anymore and, from what I've told, has moved on to endeavors outside of addiction recovery.

I really like your idea of trying to get WHO interested.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Dixon,

Do you really think the WHO or anybody else is going to listen to our small sample of people. Some day, I can't predict when, they (I'm not sure about WHO), will have to listen. I believe Dr Ameisen, although working on this faithfully, knows it's the people who will get it done.
              This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

I had to pop back on to say one last thing. I would assume the WHO is under the control of big pharma too. Why wouldn't they be? Do you remember the swine flu epidemic (that was most likely man made)? Everone needs to get a swine flu shot or take tamiflu prophylactically? That was huge hype, that I believe was partially initiated by Pharma and goverments combined to generate money through mass hysteria and paranoia.

The WHO was the leader of this. There's so much more I could say about it The groups they're in bed with are mind boggling. I am hardly a conspiracy freak, but I think it's all run by politics.

Okay, night y'all. Sweet dreams.
                This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

I, too, cannot believe the silence surrounding this.

Sadly though, I agree with red - there's very little to be done from our side, other than to gather support one by one as people realise it actually works.

Comment

Is Campral available in the US?

Comment

One thought I had was when/if this gets out could it then become obvious that the person chomping down pills in the corner is/was an alcoholic?the person with Baclofen in their bag?Whereas at the moment Baclofen is a little known drug?

Whilst many will be enlightened by the revelation there is a cure, how long will it take for public perception to change?

Comment

Good point on WHO, Red. I sit back and wonder: Was the world always this messed up?

UK, it is nice to have the camo that baclofen offers. I've used the "muscle spasm" line a few times.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

UK, Tracy and all!
                          If Baclofen really saves the life of millions why not start the campaign to give the pressure to concerned body?
                          It doesn't only save the lives of alcoholic but keeps harmony in family and society. We all are known that many alcoholics have an extra ordinary mind which may pave the way to greenery living? ??
                          Hi all folks let's try to be clear rather than remaining in fog..
                          If it works it will be confirmed within a year of research!
                          I am really concerned about it but can't do anything without a collective efforts.
                          Just an example, Rotary club is actively involved to eradicate the polio from the world so other organization would be interested if we take initiation specially with the help of Dr. OA Does it make a sense??
                          Dixon

Comment

There is a study underway, or starting quite soon. The link in Ne's signature gives somewhat scant detail about it. Results apparently take 2 to 3 years to announce, which is a bit of a bummer.

I think the most we can do is on an individual basis. Cure ourselves, and slowly spread the word. Unless you can get Charlie Sheen to publicly twitter the world about his success with baclofen, or get OA onto Oprah, I think it's going to remain that way for the near future.

Sad, but true, I think.

Comment

Lets hope soon !

Thanks Bleep!
                              Its a really depressing !
                              Anybody has any views ?
                              Dixon

Comment

Working...
                              X