Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high-dose baclofen- clinical trial January 2011 Amsterdam University

2002 Addolorato study

Murphyx;1173735 wrote: Unfortunately the German study is useless; they're only prescribing to a maximum of 90mg/day.
    Yes, it is hard to understand why high dose is not being aggressively tested; after all, its high dose that worked for OA and many on this board. And there is the danger that tests at lower levels will be negative or inconclusive which could set back or stigmatize bac.

But there may be some value in tests even at lower dosage levels. I went back and looked at the 2002 Addolorato study titled BACLOFEN EFFICACY IN REDUCING ALCOHOL CRAVING AND INTAKE: A PRELIMINARY DOUBLE-BLIND RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED STUDY. This study was based on only 30mg per day and yet its findings were convincing. Here's the summary:

"A higher percentage of subjects totally abstinent from alcohol and a higher number of cumulative abstinence days throughout the study period were found in the baclofen, compared to the placebo, group. A decrease in the obsessive and compulsive components of craving was found in the baclofen compared to the placebo group; likewise, alcohol intake was reduced in the baclofen group. A decrease in state anxiety was found in the baclofen compared to the placebo group. No significant difference was found between the two groups in terms of current depressive symptoms. Baclofen proved to be easily manageable and no patient discontinued treatment due to the presence of side-effects. No patient was affected by craving for the drug and/or drug abuse."

Here's a link to the study report:

BACLOFEN EFFICACY IN REDUCING ALCOHOL CRAVING AND INTAKE: A PRELIMINARY DOUBLE-BLIND RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED STUDY
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Here is a link to an article in the University of Amsterdam magazine on the Dutch trial.

SPUI34

See page 4.

Perhaps someone has access to an English translation...
      With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Cassander;1169366 wrote: "The evidence available are encouraging, but be aware that baclofen does not work for everyone," said he. And remember that there are of other means to fight against this disease , therapies such as group or community, like Alcoholics Anonymous, or cessation strategies practiced in conventional hospitals. "The care of a sick alcohol is always global, both medical, psychological and social, confirms Professor Jaury. The drug is only a crutch, although it may prove to be a very good stand. "
        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh
        I seriously hope that's just a poor translation. And I call flat out (mostly) bull shit on the rest of it.

Did I write that out loud? oops.

Comment

This is weird to have found this place. I think I am an accidental "Case Study" for Baclofin
          Iv been taking It for almost 3 years now. I was diagnosed (cough*) Bipolar 1 or OCD.. Or what ever new FAB was hot.. Regardless ... So I have also been on Wellburtrin, Prozac as well. (And just threw out the Zyprexa, abilify, Seraqual and Safris) .. Any way! I felt Better after the Baclofin. I was given the medicin because my sacroiliac is out, but I'm far too limber and therapy won't work. But the Baclofin helped. The next thing I knew, I had my LIFE back. I was suddenly able to study things where I never had the focus to before. I enjoyed my family. I wasn't overly haunted by things that were thought to be "OCD/PTSD/Mania" and it has all been an accident... Well iv ran out for the past few days. Never assumed it could be the Baclofin. And in a jerk. I'm about to fall apart... The medicine has been called in... And then I found Pr. Dr. Reinout Wiers...soo wanted to share this.
          Yea .. Well that's about it. Ty

Comment

Pass, thanks for your input.

Baclofen has changed my life in that I'm no longer alcohol bingeing. But your post caught my attention because my father has noticed the change in me and was wondering if it might help him. He is a Vietnam veteran that has been diagnosed as Bipolar and PTSD. He is not an alcoholic but his anxiety and emotional extremes are very similar. I'm curious to see if you can give more background and also if anyone else knows about Baclofen and PTSD.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi @all

Two clinical trials with Baclofen, double blinded and randomized against placebo started 2012 in France. They are called ?BACLOVILLE? (Mai 2012) and ?ALPADIR? (Dec. 2012). The first study ?BACLOVILLE?, started Mai 2012, has actually a recruiting quota of 70 %.

DonQuixote
              My German forum: www.forum-baclofen.com / My general informations: www.baclofen.wiki

Comment

Working...
              X