Direct alcohol substitutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing that amazes me more, than when I see an addict moralising at people for using a drug to get sober, especially when you click onto their thread and see...that they are using a drug to get sober.It actually makes me laugh out loud.

There is nothing that saddens me more than when I see an addict tutting at possible new or little known medical ways of beating an addiction that is destroying lives and has a 6%- 10% recovery rate.

To anyone who makes it I take my hat off to you HOWEVER you do it. If you get sober by eating a cactus every day then thats good enough for me.
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Tracy. Thats very interesting about the twirling children. I must have been a whirling dervish as a child judging by my adult behaviour.
      I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

Comment

Noelle;1079505 wrote: Ketamine sounds like the craziest thing I've ever heard of. And Dr. Krupitsky sounds like a nut job (IMO).
        Does he? His education and experience certainly impress me. His work with ketamine and addicts/PTSD is very similar to experiments using drugs like ecstasy, that were performed by the US miliary. You're not supposed to live on the stuff. You are supposed to undergo his treatment under his personal supervision, and the point of it is to reach a moment of clarity - very similar to the military experiments with ecstasy.

Doesn't one want to feel sober and not have something make them feel f*****-up?
        Gosh, you know, every now and again, I still have flying dreams. I flipping LOVE those dreams. I love zip-lining because it's a very similar feeling. I think that's why some people adore skiing and bungie-jumping and amusement parks, etc., because it makes them feel "not sober."

That's why I don't like balcofen. IN MY OPINION!
        Well, baclofen is no party drug. There isn't much about it that is fun (as the threads here so aptly demonstrate). That's why it is a very low-risk drug, ZERO chance of becoming addicted, and if you abuse it - you're not likely to do it more than once because it's a nasty, nasty experience. I understand that you do not understand baclofen or how it is used. I recommend Amesein's book. It's available on Amazon, but you can read a few reviews about it here:

Olivier Ameisen, MD

I'm pretty sure that a Nobel prize laureate in medicine would not risk destroying his reputation on the work of "a nutjob." The protocol is difficult to tolerate because it can be incredibly uncomfortable physically.

But I'm not having a coronary about it. I just feel like some of you don't want to give up the "high" feeling.
        Some don't, and if they find a way to make it work for them - more power to them, I say! I'm not much interested in that at this point in my life, but I'd be delighted to take a ketamine ride under Dr. Krupitsky's direction - and dropping acid is on my bucket list as something I really want to try before I die. My experience with those kinds of substances is pretty much limited to MJ, but I think I would like to try that kind of truly "altered" state.

I don't expect to want to stop any of that, or zip-lining, etc., on baclofen. On baclofen, I expect to become indifferent to alcohol. That is all I want from it, and I'm prepared to put up with a good deal of physical and mental discomfort to get to that "switch."

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

coalfire;1079534 wrote: Tracy. Thats very interesting about the twirling children. I must have been a whirling dervish as a child judging by my adult behaviour.
          If you think about the really great playground equipment, the giant swing sets, slides, merry-go-rounds . . . I feel sorry for today's kids. They're playgrounds kinda suck. But even Johnny Jump Ups, trampolines, all that kind of thing - I think it's all related.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

See, y'all don't know me. But I've been here, like you, since 2006 and have posted a lot. I'm also 59 years old and have a bit knowledge in me. I'm a troublemaker for sure. I hate reformed smokers. And I'm not going to act like them as a reformed drinker. I'm just posting like everyone else. Calm down. It's cool.
            Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

"See, y'all don't know me"-True

" Calm down. It's cool."-ok consider me calm.:H

Comment

Noelle;1079611 wrote: Calm down. It's cool.
                I don't know if you were talking to me, but I'm not upset in the least. Very calm.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

I wasnt. However what you said is fair enough.

Comment

I haven't read this whole thread but thought I'd share what happened when I tried an alternative.

1. Found out about KavaKava and ordered a drink mix online.
                    2. Mixed it with OJ
                    3. Ended up drinking the whole order trying to find "the buzz"

And last but not least
                    4. Puked up about 2 gallons of OJ/Kava :H

Yep, I think our addictive ways could get us in trouble with just about anything.
                    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Be careful using Kava. It can cause severe liver damage. Just what we need!

Comment

Kava kava is a useful tool. Only the leaf causes liver damage, so look for the root.
                        This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

I understood that both were toxic but I could be wrong. I need to change my name to Devil?s Advocate :H:H:H

Comment

No, but the reseach I've done on kava kava has been plentiful. It's just the leaf that's the problem. If you buy it in the US now, you can only find the root. John, I'm a crazy supplement freak. I was writing a blog on alternative nutrition. I am a believer!!
                            This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Hey I hear you Red, I am a supplement freak myself (although blogless). I even have kava in my arsenal but I read a study somewhere that I may have misinterpreted. Don't know if I can find it now though.

I'm a vegetarian and we believe in our supplements!

Comment

JohnR;1079705 wrote:
                                I'm a vegetarian and we believe in our supplements!
                                Speak for yourself. I'm vegetarian and I believe in cake.

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

Working...
                                X