Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Meds - please help?

Hello everyone!

I've been reading through these threads, trying to gather information on meds to deal with my alcoholism, but it just seems like everyone knows way more than I do, and it kinda goes right over my head

Basically I'm just wondering what medication is right for me? My psych suggested Campral or Naltrexone...but I'm not sure which path to take. I know it's trial and error, but I just wanted my alcoholism under control as soon as possible.

I'm 29 years old, been drinking almost every day since I was 25. I had a good run at sobriety last year: went to an inpatient program, lived in a sober house, got really involved in AA...however after 4 months sober I relapsed - and it's been literally hell ever since.
    A few years ago I joined MWO when I wanted to just 'cut back'. But obviously that didn't work out too well!

I don't want to moderate - I want to quit for good. I just can't get myself back to AA; hoping medication will give me the kick start I desperately need!

Thanks for any insight re: experiences w/ vaious medications. It's good to be back. :thanks:

Rose

Hi Rose! There are lots of people here with experience in the meds department. I am not one of them, but wanted to say :welcome:. (or welcome back as the case may be!!)

What did stand out to me in your post was the difficulty you have had getting "back on the wagon" after a relapse. I had that same experience. I relapsed after 60days AF and the struggle I went through to get back on the wagon really scared me. Just wanted to share that I think I understand how you feel in that regard.

Good that you are here - good luck to you as you search for your own success formula.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi Roseknows. Its difficult for people to tell you which meds would be right for you. Different people choose different meds.I think that its just a case of reading about them and researching them as much as possible. After that its just a case of choosing one and jumping in. As you can see Baclofen is really popular but really its up to you.
      I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Hi rose, and welcome,

Which med is tricky to suggest - your best bet is to research them all and make a decision. Personally, I went with baclofen, and have been extremely surprised and pleased with the result.

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

HI Rose. Welcome back.

The answers you are looking for are to be found here at MWO, albeit rather spread around! Unfortunately everyone is different and it is a very personal journey however you go about quitting. Whichever way you cut it the decision to stop drinking eventually will come from you.

I would suggest reading more and then more again. Until it's not going over your head!

Good luck with your search.
          Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

:welcome: Rose!

It can be a little intimidating to wander in here and try to suss it out for yourself, I know. i knew absolutely nothing about meds when I first got here. I spent a good deal of time with one screen on MWO and the other in wiktionary trying to wade through the research and the medical jargon, so please don't worry. Also, every time I asked what I thought was a 'stupid' question I received a thoughtful response!

Each medication has side effects, both long and short term. Each of them has proponents and also very valid reasons that you should avoid taking them. Topamax and campral are the most widely prescribed in this country. I didn't take them because I didn't like the research results or the side effects (SEs.) Which is ironic, since I chose bac and there is very little research to be had about high-dose-bac-treatment or long term SEs.

There is a thread here for Topa users, they may be able to help you with that. And MissyAbby1 is using campral. She will definitely help you! (I hope someone will post that topa link and let Missy know....)
            There is a lot of information about bac, of course. It can be difficult, and alarming to wade through it all but it's worth trying. (consolidated bac thread--first page has a bunch of great links to the research.) It was what gave me, and others, the opportunity to live without the burden of alcoholism. (and so much more!)
            Glad you posted, keep asking questions!
            Ne

Comment

Hey Rose :welcome:

I have been taking Campral for the last 2 months and have not stayed totally sober. My estimate of my sobriety would probably be about 95% of the time. There are other people I've read in posts who have been able to remain abstinent using this medication.

Campral, I have found, has taken away the craving to drink, but being a human being with frailties and a long time alcoholic addiction the old habit of reaching for a drink in times of despair or distress still are there. In fact, I had a good old drunken rant on this site last night! I have been lucky enough to have no side effects at all from this medication.

On the other hand, there are people here who say they are no longer alcoholics because of using Baclofen. Unfortunately, it would seem that the medical profession has not yet "caught up" with this treatment , which is a shame and hopefully will change. Unfortunately I cannot state that I am no longer an alcoholic because I
              am not long enough sober to even contemplate stating that as fact. I am far too vulnerable in my flawed humanity to hope such a thing at present. I can understand your confusion and feel for you. I guess all we can do on this forum is tell you of our own experiences with honesty and integrity.

The most important thing is that you are here and ready to tackle this insidious disease and , for that, I congratulate you and wish you sobriety.

:l Missy

Comment

Working...
              X