Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GERD and arbaclofen a no go:

From the GERD study:

At week six, subjects in the placebo group showed a mean percent reduction in heartburn events of 68%. Although there were trends for improvement over placebo in the AP dose groups, none of the comparisons to placebo reached statistical significance, noted Xenoport.

Xenoport Posts Negative Results From Phase 2b Trial Of Arbaclofen Placarbil

Tracy

sigpic

Ah, the power of the mind: "At week six, subjects in the placebo group showed a mean percent reduction in heartburn events of 68%.

And of Big Pharma: "AP is a patented new chemical entity that is a Transported Prodrug of R-baclofen " ... (and therefore since it's patented we are willing to spend buttloads of money on a load of trials to see if we can sell it to some poor slob).

Tracy, you didn't buy it for gerd, did you? Or are you just researching other uses for it? Are you using it much?

Comment

It isn't approved yet. Of course the company wants to make money, on the other hand r-baclofen is likely better (e.g. less side effects than normal racemate baclofen). And taking the drug just once a day is more comfortable.

Comment

Bruunhilde;1081786 wrote:
        Tracy, you didn't buy it for gerd, did you? Or are you just researching other uses for it? Are you using it much?
        It isn't approved yet, so she can't take it unless she is in such a trial. Of course the company wants to make money, on the other hand r-baclofen is likely better (e.g. less side effects than normal racemate baclofen). And taking the drug just once a day is more comfortable.

Comment

I believe it will be proven effective for GERD. I had no idea it was even a possible treatment until I started taking it and noticed I am suddenly not having my typical symptoms. Of course one reason is that I am not consuming much alcohol but I suffer from severe GERD and I have been on high-dose Nexium (also Gaviscon, Tums and baking soda) on a daily basis for 12 years. I also have to get annual endoscopy's to check for Barrett's, etc., so while the reduction in alcohol would help, I should still be suffering from it but I'm not.

Comment

John, do you have gerd when you are AF a few days? I have found it directly related and my ONLY factor in chronic horrible gerd. No gerd for me this AF week.

I know many many people have it who don't drink so not saying it's the only thing causing yours.

Comment

I get Gerd from a piece of candy, a cookie and from the more obvious triggers: tomato based products, soda, juice, etc. Alcohol definitely made it worse however it was not the only cause. I am still not taking my reflux meds which is an extremely pleasant unexpected SE.

Comment

That's alot of sensitivity. I'm sorry you have to go through that, sounds awful you can't even have a piece of candy. It's almost like you can't handle acid nor sugar. Does it have anything to do with gluten intolerance or allergies?

Why are you able to not take the reflux meds, are you AF or is the bac helping?

I just read this on Amazon in a review of a book advocating apple cider vinegar to help with lots of problems - thought of you:

I, and my husband and son, have gotten off 14 years of stomach meds by using vinegar--thousands of $ in savings--wish I could sue for what I lost, because the vinegar doesn't just compare, it actually does work better, doesn't interfere with B12 absorption..that's your mood at risk, baby, and here's the weirder part: my doctor (my 'REAL' one--yes, an MD, but no, not conventional..) told me she could even top vinegar..! although I said I was fine now. But I was willing, for a trial, and she prescribed actual stomach acid--hydrochloric acid! Surprisingly, it worked, and she explained why it would: the sphincter is instinctively inclined to stay open until it receives enough 'acid' foods from the diet. How many of us don't complete our meals with a fruit or vegetable with their natural acids intact? My son actually had a bleeding esophagus, and my situation was severely chronic and cost OVER $120. a month. and not only that, I STILL had acid stomach a third of the time, because the meds really are a bad answer.

Comment

Working...
                X