• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early symptoms of Baclofen withdrawal?

It's here:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...wal-48242.html

Comment

FWIW, I am having a bracelet made (via Amazon), and am including the cell phone numbers of my husband and my daughter. Both know to tell the doctors that I'm on a high-dose of baclofen and need to keep taking it to avoid withdrawal. Both of them asked, "When how much are you on? How much should they give you?" I know what I'm on this week. I don't know what I'll be on a month from now. I don't know how to answer that question. Any thoughts on that?

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

I didn't have any Baclofen for 15 hours after a final 50mg dose last night at 7pm - which was for some quite specific reasons related to some side effects I've been experiencing. I didn't notice any withdrawl symptoms in that time at all.

Comment

Great idea Tracy! Do you have a link to the vendor you're using on Amazon? I'm on so many HBP drugs I'd like that in there.

Comment

Tracy, the only thing I can think of it to keep a current dosage pinned to the fridge, or something like that, so that family members are aware. The bracelet is a good idea.

Comment

Bruunhilde;1082417 wrote: Great idea Tracy! Do you have a link to the vendor you're using on Amazon? I'm on so many HBP drugs I'd like that in there.
              There are several models available through Amazon. I like this one because it's recognizable as medical (some of them are not) they customize the size and engraving, and the engraving is very visible:

Amazon.com: Engraved - Steel, Medical ID Bracelet, Curb Chain, Custom Engraving INCLD.: Jewelry

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

I want to add: Normally if you forget two doses of a drug you should not take the double dose when you remember it again. In case of baclofen withdrawal IMHO one should take the normal dose and if after two hours there is still anxiety, rapid heart beat... then some more will solve the problem.

In rare cases it might be necessary to taper baclofen down pretty fast which could take a long time from 200-300mg to zero. If a doctor prescribes some diazepam the tapering process can be done in about 7-10 days without problems.

There exists no i.v. baclofen AFAIK, but I could be wrong.

Comment

bleep;1082423 wrote: Tracy, the only thing I can think of it to keep a current dosage pinned to the fridge, or something like that, so that family members are aware. The bracelet is a good idea.
                  I've heard there is something you put on the fridge, with a sticker somewhere obvious in the house that is recogniseable immediately by emergency services alerting them to the fact your special medical needs are detailed there. Useful for those who live alone, so I'm thinking of getting one.

Comment

That is true I want to be sober. No IV form of baclofen exists. UKB, I'm putting something behind my drivers license, because what if you get in a car accident?
                    This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Most important thing is that relatives who will be contacted in case of emergency know that one takes baclofen and abrupt withdrawal can be dangerous. Severe W/D symptoms from oral baclofen are unlikely to set in before 24h after cessation and milder to mediocre problems can easily be handled from doctors with diazepam and beta blockers like Inderal.
                      Baclofen can be administred by gastric tube.

Comment

Yes but what if your house burns down, or your purse isn't retrieved from the wreckage?

Lots of if-buts.

Comment

Wow, This is a very important thread.

I was on a plane one day (go figure, out of town 48 weeks a year) and the woman next to me had a heart attack.

She subsequently died but at the time she was alive.

I punched on the aircraft's "Call an Attendant" button repeadtedly because the flight attendant was going down the aisle past me servering drinks. (People looked at me askance but what the hell, this cute little old lady had just poured her water in my lap and was unresponsive.)

Anyway, when the EMTs arrived on the plane that landed in podunk nowhere, the first thing they asked her very elderly and alzheimer's husband what meds she was one. He had no idea and there was nothing in her purse.

Keep track of what you are on, baclofen, bp meds, whatever, and keep it on you.

I have it in my wallet.

It would suck to be able to have survived and the EMTs not know and administer you something that might kill you with a reaction to the meds.

It would suck to end up in the ER and go through withdrawals that they cannot identify.

Take care, please.

Cindi

UK. No answer for all the "what ifs" but answers for most.
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Okay, IWTBS. Message heard. I don't have anyone to tell, except my brother. I mentioned this to him briefly before starting and wished I hadn't. He goes to AA of course, falls off the wagon all the time, but still. He thought it was crazy I was doing this. I will bite the bullet and tell him everything because he would be my emergency contact at this point. I didn't want to, but you've convinced me. :thanks:
                            This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

If withdrawal can begin within 24 hours where does that leave the once a day 'punch' method that was discussed recently? Would you be risking withdrawal every day?

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

I've never tried taking all my baclofen once daily. If this method works for some... great. Keep in mind that if one takes a lot of a drug then after one or two half-lifes there is still pretty much in the blood stream.

Comment

Working...
                                X