Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why exactly did my doctor prescribe Topamax to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I seen a psychologist today about my anxiety, depression and lack of sleep. and I was prescribed topamax with seroquel and prestiq. My research on Topamax shows it is for Migrains.... Am I missing something? Thanks all.

Hi kyle87. Do you have alcohol problems?
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Hi, I had a pretty bad Alcohol problem, went to Detox in July 2010 for 2 weeks. I've drank on 3 occasions since. Xmas, new years, and my birthday.

Comment

Topa is sometimes used off label as you've obviously discovered, since you're posting here, to help you control your drinking. My doctor gave me an RX for it, and it's pretty helpful. I don't know about the other drugs you're on.

Comment

Im not sure kyle 87. The uses I have heard for topamax are

1 An anti convulsant for seizures

2 For the treatment of migraines

3 For the treatment of bi polar disorder

4 For the treatment of alcoholism

There may be more uses for the drug but I don't know of them.

I suppose you could always phone your docs receptionist and ask for a telephone appointment to ask him.
          I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Kyle87,

I just saw my psychiatrist yesterday. We've tried Topamax for me to help with my cravings (as described in the My Way Out book). I'm not tolerating the SE and it wasn't having the desired effect of reducing my cravings so I'm tapering down and then off.

She did describe a new study she just read about how it's being used in very, very small doses for anger management. So, I guess it does have other users. Maybe it's also good for anxiety?

What dose are you on?
            Do Your Dream

Comment

Working...
            X