prescribed meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prescribed meds

has anyone had any success with anti craving meds prescibed by their doctor. i have tried campral with little effect. obviously antabuse works to 'not drink' but this would be my last choice. i know there are various meds that can be prescribed but i dont seem to hear any success stories here. thanks
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

prescribed meds

Yes, baclofen.

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

prescribed meds

As with Murphy, I found success using baclofen.

Comment

prescribed meds

Spuddleduck is asking about "prescribed" meds. It's difficult to get Baclofen prescribed by your Dr or GP over here, even more so over the maximum dose of 80mg.

Comment

prescribed meds

Mine was prescribed, from the start. Still is today.

Comment

prescribed meds

Ukblonde;1083007 wrote: Spuddleduck is asking about "prescribed" meds. It's difficult to get Baclofen prescribed by your Dr or GP over here, even more so over the maximum dose of 80mg.
            Baclofen is a medicine prescribed to cure alcoholism. Where you get it from is irrelevant to that point.

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

prescribed meds

thanks for your responses. yes i did actually mean meds that could be prescribed and monitored by my doc. its near on impossible to get high dose bac prescribed here in the uk, though id love to hear if anyone has. As i have other health issues and take other medications i really want to be supervised to some level by my doc. other than campral i have heard of other meds. ill research a bit more and come and ask about specific meds. yeah bring on the day that high dose bac is seen for what it is to us... and prescibed more freely

Comment

prescribed meds

Hi spuds. I'm curious why Antabuse is your last choice? (truly just curiosity - I've never used it myself!)

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

prescribed meds

dg,good question. the reason i dont think antabuse would work for me is that i want to be able to 'not want to drink' and retrain my brain accordingly. rather than 'not be able to drink' on antabuse. im more looking for something that can help me disassociate. does that make sense. i think topamax can be prescibed so maybe ill look further into that.

Comment

prescribed meds

That makes sense to me spuds. I hope you find what you are looking for in Topa or bac or whatever. Never give up. What might seem unattractive today might look better as an option tomorrow. We just never know where this journey will lead. I always just hope we all get to a sober place in the end.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

prescribed meds

Spud, look into naltrexone. I had some success with that. It really helped me moderate my drinking. I quit taking it because I got frustrated that I couldn't quit entirely. I had no side effects at all. It is approved for alcohol dependence (at least in the US).

Comment

prescribed meds

Bill Gorton;1083213 wrote: Spud, look into naltrexone. I had some success with that. It really helped me moderate my drinking. I quit taking it because I got frustrated that I couldn't quit entirely. I had no side effects at all. It is approved for alcohol dependence (at least in the US).
                        thanks, i will. i do want to go to my docs armed with as much info as possible

Comment

prescribed meds

Murphyx;1083028 wrote: Baclofen is a medicine prescribed to cure alcoholism. Where you get it from is irrelevant to that point.
                          I happen to know Spuddleduck, and I therefore know that she has said that because of her other medication/health conditions she would want supervision from a Doctor. Baclofen is indeed prescribed to treat alcoholism but without proper, specific medical advice she is reluctant to obtain Baclofen by any other methods.

Comment

prescribed meds

Can someone please tell me what a NORMAL relationship with al is?

Comment

prescribed meds

A normal relationship with AL is a person who does not think about it 24/7 and can take it or leave it ..they just don't see it
                              Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Working...
                              X