For those who are interested in Naltrexone-new research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know the answer to the ssri's question. I have often heard it said that it could interfere with things like your exercise buzz etc. Thats why you are only supposed to take it 1 hour before drinking. Most docs prescribe it as a daily tablet but the sinclair method people strongly disagree.There are some good threads here on The sinclair method and they have their own forum as well.
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

spuddleduck;1085854 wrote: thanks for this. i am considering asking my doc for naltexone. one thing i have wondered is if it blocks the 'pleasure receptors' does this affect pleasure from other things, such as exercise buzz. i dont quite understand. is it just in relation to al. i take ssri's for anxiety and depression. would one cancel out the effect of the other
      I thought I'd put in my two cents here. I took nal for a period of about 5 months as best I can recall. I am a male, and I took 50 mg/day in the evening along with 40 mg Paxil. It did not seem to interfere with my enjoyment of other things, like food, exercise, sex, etc, at least not that I noticed. It didn't seem to help with cravings, but it did help me to be able to stop after a few drinks. Several times I actually had a few drinks, and then stayed up late enough that I was completely sober, and went to sleep without having a night cap. That's something I could never have done before. I seemed to still enjoy drinking, but it somehow made the crash afterward less severe. I felt like a "normal" drinker. It was a real eye opener. This effect seemed to fade over time, and I thought I would have to get off it eventually, so I stopped. Now I think I want to get back on it. I'm not sure what gene variants I have, but I had severe social anxiety since I was a child. It's gotten a little better since my mid twenties. The Paxil helped with that.

Comment

Bill if you want to find out whether you have the 118G gene or not then you can have a saliva test done with this company. I was talking to someone in another forum who had it done with them.https://www.23andme.com/ Price is 199 $/142 euros.
        I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

Comment

Thanks Coal, I just posted in my thread that I didn't know how to do this. Will have to do the dreaded edit. :goodjob:

Comment

I only found out a very short time ago. I have found someone on the TSM thread who has had it done(test positive) and has had a great response to Nal. She is going to reply soon and talk about her drinking story but she has given the name of the company that she got the test from.

Comment

I assume the testing is confidential. Hmmm, just getting the test and having that info somewhere could be damaging. I'd be curious as to her thoughts on that. Thanks again CF.

Comment

Checked the site and the test is $199 plus monthly subscription. Didn't look into the details yet, am hoping your contact can give us some info around what was delivered in the result. Did they break down what all the genes meant or did she just receive a data dump and review it for the Nal appropriate gene 118 or whatever it is?

Also, did she subscribe? Hope she comes here in the next week or two!

Comment

They actually mention the 118g naltrexone responsive gene in their response to drugs section. When you click order now it shows the response to drugs section. Im waiting to hear more from him and I will post all when I hear the details. I will ask him about the confidentiality thing.

Comment

That's great! Thanks Coal! I am curious to what else you find out with this test...

Comment

Working...
                    X