Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genetic Testing before you start Naltrexone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of us were talking about this in other threads but I think it should have its own thread for reference purposes. Scientists have discovered a gene which may predict a persons success on Naltrexone.The same gene may also explain why some people feel increased pain when experiencing social rejection. A member from another forum was kind enough to share this information with me.

The following information was provided to me from another non Mwo member

"Hey Coalfire,

I'm not a geneticist so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology, but the gene associated with nal response is located at Rs1799971 and is called OPRM1. The possible genotypes are AA, AG, and GG. AA is normal. AGs have a better chance of responding to nal than AAs. And GGs have an even better chance of responding to nal, but have an increased likelihood of developing alcoholism, and an increased aversion to social rejection. There is a much more in depth description of this at Rs1799971 - SNPedia

Here is a chart from the above website of the percentage of each genotype in different sample populations.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7008/chartwn.png(see 3 posts down for the chart. There were um..techical difficulties:H)

Orange is AA, Green, AG and Blue GG. Most on this board will be interested in CEU, which is a sampling of a western and northern European population. I probably relate most to HCB, which is a Chinese population (I'm Vietnamese) Most people are AA and that group has about a 55% positive nal response. If you have at least one G then your chances go up to 87%. You can see the GGs are on average, less than 10% of the population. I am GG."

If anyone is interested in this test you can have it done here https://www.23andme.com/

It is a saliva home test kit which costs $199 or Euro 142 approx.

If you are interested in this then you might want to look at the following articles.

NEWLY IDENTIFIED GENES, NEW DRUGS, SPELL HOPE FOR ALCHOLICS | Lawyers Wellbeing Blog

Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome

FuturePundit: Pain Gene Variant Increases Social Rejection Pain

Gender And Genes May Determine Effectiveness Of Treatment For Alcohol Dependence

Medical News: Study Helps Target Naltrexone Use - in Psychiatry, Addictions from MedPage Today

Posttreatment Results of Combining Naltrexone with Cognitive... : Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

ps I have posted a link to the chart http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7008/chartwn.png but if any of you know how to actually display the chart with the information below it on how to interpret it then please do. Thanks.
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

Comment

Coal, just click on "insert picture" , that little icon that looks like a mountain, and put that URL (internet address of the picture) between the tags. I'd do it for you, but I can't access your image.

Comment

What little icon that looks like a mountain? I don't have any mountains!!!

Comment

Orange is AA, Green, AG and Blue GG. Most on this board will be interested in CEU, which is a sampling of a western and northern European population. I probably relate most to HCB, which is a Chinese population (I'm Vietnamese) Most people are AA and that group has about a 55% positive nal response. If you have at least one G then your chances go up to 87%. You can see the GGs are on average, less than 10% of the population. I am GG.

Thanks to Bleep for showing me the mountain tops!

Comment

That's exactly how to do it - if you had the right URL, we would be looking at your graph this very second!

That's the picture I get when I click on your link...

Comment

Always wondered how people did that! Thanks Bleep. Thats handy.

Comment

This means you would respond well to NAL, right CF? If so, are you using/going to use it? Redirect me if I've missed where you are right now with your progress on this.

Comment

No Brunn I have not had the test for this gene. I only found out about the testing place yesterday. It is quite expensive so I am going to have to wait for my next pay day. I am going to do it though. In the meantime I am only posting this thread for information purposes. There is such a lottery factor to the meds on MWO. No one knows what med will work for what person.I thought that it was fascinating that a simple saliva test could possibly predict your chances of success in advance. Now all we need is one for Baclofen,topiramate etc and we will be home and dry!!:H

Comment

coal,
                    thanks for all the work. we live in an amazing time,eh?
                    does anyone know if there are tests for levels of neurotransmitters in the brain? such as gaba?

Comment

coalfire;1086551 wrote:
                      If you have at least one G then your chances go up to 87%. You can see the GGs are on average, less than 10% of the population. I am GG.
                      Coal, if you haven't done the testing, how do you know you're GG, and if you know, why bother to test? Sorry, I must be missing a point or info here.
                      :thanks:

Comment

Brunn sorry there seems to be a misunderstanding.I don't know that I am GG. The only way to know that is to have the test done. I only heard of the testing company yesterday.This thread is for research and information only.... Oh wait a minute I see what has happened here. That link I provided is from the other forum user and the I as in the I am GG is his story not mine. I better do some editing and make that clear. Thanks Brunn! I didnt spot that.

Comment

Working...
                        X