Dr. Ameisen is on MWO - Right Now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AS far as treatment go to a good facility,if it don t open your eyes ,good luck

Comment

have a wonderful weekend, time will tell,you are the BOSS

Comment

As someone who has been labelled a "chronic relapser", I know the shame and guilt that comes with a slip. So I wish Ollie A. all the best. Keep your chin up, Ollie. I hope you share what happened with us so we can avoid the same pitfalls.

But please don't come as a teacher lecturing his pupils. Instead, please come as one drunk talking to another drunk. The therapuetic value of that is immeasurable.

Perhaps we have done Ollie a great disservice by placing him on a pedestal. There were expectations placed on him that no man (or woman) could have lived up to.

I know people get antsy when I bring up AA, but I have to tell you that the founders of that program look very wise right now. Part of the the 11th Tradition states, "...we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio and films."

That was put in place for this exact situation. Back in the 50's, a famous American actor publically proclaimed himself to be a "recovered alcoholic and a member of AA". When he subsequently got drunk, it made the whole organization look like a failure. At that particular point in time AA still had a great success rate.

My family read Ollie's book and got a real sense of hope. If they found out he relapsed, it would crush them and they would sub-consciously doubt me. And we all know bac works.
        Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
        - Jacob August Riis

Comment

It is April 1st, isn't it? -tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

MWO friends,

Please do NOT assume that OA has relapsed.

This may or may not be the case.

I consider my husband's joke, "have you stopped beating your children yet?"

How do you answer that?

We do NOT know OA has relapsed. We have one person on the board who thinks he has. That is all.

Don't do this to him.

If he has. I hope he responds and lets us know. Otherwise, this is an exercise in futility and much confusion about nothing.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

i mite be out of line, i see some people recognize out standing people, is GOD IN THE HOUSE, that is my opinion of Doc A, there are many solutions to alchoholism, his is but an opinion ?

Comment

Gyco;1089192 wrote: i mite be out of line, i see some people recognize out standing people, is GOD IN THE HOUSE, that is my opinion of Doc A, there are many solutions to alchoholism, his is but an opinion ?

It is proven beyond a doubt that baclofen can dramatically reduce cravings in alcoholics and addicts. Some people report that eliminates them altogether. Bac is a valuable tool in the fight against addiction.....there is no debate about that. Click on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byain0Vo5mo[/video]]VIDEO OF BRAIN SCANS
                Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
                - Jacob August Riis

Comment

I wonder why OA reduced his dose to 20mg/d. Was he experimenting to see how low he could go and still remain indifferent or did he actually want to start on the drink again? I hope it's the former and if it is I'd like to thank him for the experiment.

Florie, now that OA is drinking again, do you know if he has tried increasing his dose to his initial switch level? And if so, what happened?

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

This thread is rather shocking. This is going to cause quite a stir. It seems to me that there is next to no proof whatsoever that Dr. A has relapsed. If in fact he did, most if not all of us, could relate, but it would shake me up nonetheless. Can someone summarize where all of this shit got started? I tend to think this is some kind of hoax, but obviously, with alkies it is rather believable.

Comment

terryk;1089176 wrote: It is April 1st, isn't it? -tk
                      I'm hoping this might be the reason, but I have my doubts.

Personally, I think people are putting too much weight behind this. It certainly won't be good for baclofen, but it has little bearing on baclofen's efficacy. There are several living testaments to it posting in this very thread.

We have no details, so conjecture is pretty pointless. Without knowing the circumstances, why bother trying to surmise what has happened. There is very little chance we will guess correctly. I think barring more facts, the best thing is to wait and see what the story is.

Comment

Murphyx;1089309 wrote: I wonder why OA reduced his dose to 20mg/d. Was he experimenting to see how low he could go and still remain indifferent or did he actually want to start on the drink again? I hope it's the former and if it is I'd like to thank him for the experiment.

Florie, now that OA is drinking again, do you know if he has tried increasing his dose to his initial switch level? And if so, what happened?
                        Hi Murphyx
                        I would assume he has increased his dose...and think it's more like binge drinking than a permanent thing.
                        Another user whose story appears in the articles published states that he likes getting real drunk now and then and that it's not a problem anymore since he doesn't drink the following days.. He's been on bac for a year.
                        I have not clue as to why he reduced his dose to 20mg. What I read on the FF is that many people lower their dose rather (too) quickly. Some have lowered theirs to almost nothing after a year of treatment and it seems to work out fine, others start drinking again daily again on the way down. It seems to take longer to be AF the second time.

I' m really sorry I wrote all this yesterday.
                        Florie

Comment

I'm also quite shocked by this.

One person hints that OA has relapsed and then we have a looong thread, with members arguing back and forth about [i]why he relapsed, what it means for the future of bac...

and [i]then one person saying we have no reason to believe that he relapsed and we should be fair, and that it is not fair to OA to assume it because just one person alluded to it...

and then being called a bitch and starting a war of words and nastiness that has most people not wanting to be on this forum anymore...

and then one person apologizes (the one being called a bitch, among other completely unwarranted insults not appropriate in any way for this forum) and saying she is tired and scared, and then , and THEN, somebody tells that tired and scared person to go away and get some sleep and not to post on MWO when she's feeling tired and scared... WTF? (Is this what MWO is for? A place where you should only post when you are not tired and not
                          scared? Somehow I was under the impression that it was for exactly the opposite)

(oh yes and another person regularly interjecting that there is only one way to get sober and that is to stop drinking and all bac users should turn to god and stop taking drugs)

Correct me if I am wrong, but something is rotten in the state of MWO. Very rotten.

coalfire;1089149 wrote:
                          OK Cinders.Maybe this time things will be better for you. Why don't you try to get some sleep and then you can let us know tomorrow what happens when you up your dose? If you are tired and feeling scared then I think that its better to leave threads like this for another time. Its probably only feeding into your tiredness. You know what they say about things looking better in the morning. It usually works for me!
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

p.s., yes I am very tired, and very scared (about losing the one place that was a safe, stimulating,, constructive, sometimes hilarious, place to go when discussing baclofen, where we could openly share our problems and offer advice and support and learn from each other)

yes, I am tired because I am on high does baclofen and can't sleep more than 3-4 hours/night, and yes I am damn scared.

Should I go to bed and refrain from posting?
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

see the thread:
                              What The Hell Is Going On Here????

Comment

I am quoting this so it doesn't get removed by the poster, as has happened in the past.

TracyA;1088700 wrote: Actually, Florie has been a great help to many here. She volunteered to act as a translator between this group and the French forum and can check things with actual GPs in the French forum who prescribe baclofen. Since OA also posts on the French forum, Florie has done a radio show at his behest, and she is in contact with the association in France that promotes baclofen, she is actually very well placed to keep us updated on all that - and she is kind enough to do so.

Cindi, you act like one amazingly invasive, rude little bitch sometimes. How dare you attack someone like that - someone you know nothing about? I applaud anyone who takes addiction on from as many fronts as possible - GO Florie! I hope the treatment center helps you immensely! I recently joined a gym, paid in no small part by taxpayer money, to get physically healthier while doing the bac thing and doing as much as I can do to ensure I am successful at this.

Now, Cindi, why don't you fly back to your little buddies around MWO and tell them how nasty mean I am to you. :H

Comment

Working...
                                X