Insomnia on bac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia on bac

Thanks you guys. Cindi I'm afraid to take Seroquel... I don't think I could bring myself to ask my doctor for an anti-psychotic for sleep. As it is I'm doing the bac on my own. I have considered asking for Ambien. Any experience with that?

Ig I have not taken the bulk of my dose early and I think I will try that. I've always dosed the highest around late afternoon, the time of the day when I would be most likely to drink. I think I will switch things up today and tomorrow.

Evey I am right there with you trying to figure this out!

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Ambien is addictive. In my second rehab there were quite a few people there for Ambien addiction. I highly recommend against it. Additionally, my dad took an Ambien once and he zombied out on the couch. Mom could not get him to respond, he just sat there staring. She ended up calling an ambulance. The hospital explained that this SE is common with Ambien.

If you are afraid of Seroquel, perhaps you could ask for Trazodone.

If you Google on Trazodone Insomnia, you can read about it. It worked well for me, although I had to take 100 mg, and 50 mg is the initial recommendation.

It is not an anti-psychotic, it is a treatment for depression but it is commonly used off-label for insomnia. Personally, I do not see how it can treat depression because it makes you so sleepy.

Good luck with this. I know insomnia well, I have had it off and on my entire life. It really makes living difficult. Oddly, Baclofen at the dose I am on 140 mgs/day now, makes me so sleepy that I sleep eight hours easily. My husband is not used to me sleeping that long. It worries him.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Loading the dose in the morning is definitely worth trying, in the 90s I lived in China and couldn't sleep a wink. There was always a thermos of boiled water in the hotel rooms, receptions, offices which I later learned were weak tea. Once I stopped drinking that after midday I slept like a baby. Had no idea that caffeine could affect me so much.

I would explore all options thoroughly before resorting to reducing the daily bac dose. Do you do a workout during the day? Same applies for you Evey though I haven't followed your schedule. How long have you been at 120 - 140 Evey and how long has it taken you to get there? Also Chi I believe your at about 100 right? How long has that taken?
        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Just another thought after reading Cindi's post. I wouldn't worry too much about getting addicted to a new drug while you are titrating up.

Its not very likely to happen while the anti addiction properties of baclofen are just starting to make themselves felt.

I know that Dr L has said this about Xanax but not absolutely certain it follows for all addictive drugs. Maybe someone else can concur or otherwise?
          Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Hey Ig, I've taken 75 so far, and will take my last 35 in about an hour so that gets me my whole dose fairly early... definitely earlier than what I've been doing. I'll report back on how well it works. I know one thing, I won't be drinking. I still feel hungover. The bac does not mix with drinking for me as far as the hangovers, weird thing is in the past I wouldn't even be hung over on five beers. My norm was closer to a 12 pack so five would have been an "easy on the booze" night. My how things have changed.

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Its a bit like a game show. You've won $200,000, so everyone wants you to go for the $1m. The great thing is that you wont forfeit your winnings.

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Ig,

I think someone would have to ask Dr L about Ambien and Lunesta. I know a lot of people get addicted to them.

They are not opiates, though. So, it would be wise to ask first before taking it.

I really think the Trazodone is a good option. It is not addictive and a doctor will have no problem with prescribing it for sleep.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Insomnia on bac

It would be great if someone could do that or confirm my understanding of it.

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Hey Ig, I have been in the 120-140 range for a little over a week. It took me 6 weeks to get here. I have been slacking big time in the exercise department and definitely need to work out more. For some reason, I wasn't really thinking about that in connection with helping me to sleep, so thanks for that.

I do think I am going to have to go back down a little. I feel like I am floundering at work and I am a little worried that I am not performing that well. My work is randomly measured for quality and I am solely accountable for it. I sometimes feel spacey at work on this level and have problems focusing. It's not all the time but it's definitely there. I get notified about any quality issues that arise with my work a few months after I finish it. This whole process with Baclofen has been really successful for me, I just don't want to go a couple months down the line and look back in horror if I mess things up at work.

I saw a really big improvement in my drinking from even the very beginning, which was 30mg of bac. For now, I am going to have to go back down to a lower dose and try to get my sleeping in line and figure out how to be able to take more mgs and still be able to function at work.

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Hi Evey

Every thing seems to be normal. About 20mg increase a week which is inline with Dr L, OA and generally accepted protocol.

Totally understand the fear that a few months down the line you will 'come to your senses' and realise what a fool you were being. That being said maybe in a couple more years of being an alcoholic it will be common knowledge that you were just days away from your switch!

A big improvement in your drinking is great but its sort of missing the point. Baclofen can completely eliminate the desire for alcohol.

I'm sure as you get to higher doses the SEs take longer to wear off. Its also at this level where many people find results.

My business is down the crapper so thankfully I didn't have that quandary. For me there was no good reason to taper and I was like a man possessed looking for the switch. I don't envy your position. Good luck with your choice.

It took me over a month out of a total of 2 1/2 months to increase the last 50mg to my switch. The SEs didn't really subside.

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Hi, all.
                        I can't recall if someone posted the link to the sleep thread that Isolde started?

While I think it's pretty important to keep eyes on the goal, I know that in my case it couldn't be the only thing I was focusing on.

I don't know that there's anything wrong or even counter-productive about going down a bit and then going back up again. Especially when it comes to managing sleep disturbances. That's a particularly debilitating and pervasive SE, I think.

I don't really remember when it stopped being an issue for me. I think I was on my way down... But I definitely took xanax and benadryl a couple of times in order to get some rest. I would take xanax again, in a heartbeat, if I had to face that again. (And I'm still very wary of taking anything, especially things that might make me an addict again. Despite reports of safety, etc... which I fully concede.)

It wasn't long after I reached indifference that I started to sleep soundly and thoroughly. Now it's dreamy. :H

Hope last night was better, Evey and Chi.
                        :l
                        Ne

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Ig thank you so much for the advice about dosing early, I slept last night!!

What a relief!

I'm going to do the same thing today. I have some errands I need to run today so I am going to do them early so I can get back home and get my doses in.

Now here is my concern- I go back to work day shift on Monday. No way can I take all my doses at work as the increase in SE's would not jive with work. I get home from work about 3PM so I'm wondering how big of a single dose I can take then?

Does anybody have any experience with large single doses? I figure I can get in 35 while at work... but I'll still have 75 to go..

Comment

Insomnia on bac

ps- Evey- looks like we are in a similar boat... sleep and work function... I find splitting my doses helps at work. However, over about 35 I feel the SE's.

Maybe if we take most of our daily dose after work but well before bed that will help... asking that question now. What time do you usually get home from work?

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Hi Chi,

I'm presuming that you get up about 5 or 6am for the day shift. So is it not possible to get more than 35mg during the day? Maybe one when you wake up and another with your 10 o'clock tea break?

Comment

Insomnia on bac

Hi Ig I was just thinking about that.... I get up about 4:30 to leave at 5:15, so I'm thinking if I half my doses I can probably do 50, maybe 60. That will leave me with a 50 dose at 3:00. I'll try that and see what happens. Dosing early definitely helped with sleep last night so thankful for that advice, and will do what I can to get my doses early. :goodjob:

Prior I was doing most of my dosing after 3:30 and my last 25 before bed. In thinking about that -- the mechanism with bac and insomnia must be when the bac wears off?? I still don't know why that is, but seems something is up with dosing closer to bed time.

Comment

Working...
                                X