Baclofen and babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and babies

They recommend that you not take baclofen while pregnant. This isn't really an issue for me, but what about siring a child while on high dose baclofen? I would imagine that the lads downstairs are fairly swimming in baclofen by now. Does it just mean that the baby will calm and unaddicatable? Somehow I think not.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I've not managed to find anything on the net about this.

Baclofen and babies

bleep;1104246 wrote: They recommend that you not take baclofen while pregnant. This isn't really an issue for me, but what about siring a child while on high dose baclofen? I would imagine that the lads downstairs are fairly swimming in baclofen by now. Does it just mean that the baby will calm and unaddicatable? Somehow I think not.

It's a real issue for me at the moment, so any feedback would be appreciated. I've not managed to find anything on the net about this.
    "Sire",
    I think you and yours might end up being the Guinea Pig for this one

Remember to keep good notes.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "Alexander The Next" 's Experimental Combo Journey with TSM (Naltrexon) and Baclofen -- Progress Diary
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/alexander-next-s-experimental-combo-journey-tsm-naltrexon-baclofen-49307.html

Comment

Baclofen and babies

That's just the thing though - I'm happy to make myself a guinea pig, and even enjoy it most of the time, but I don't really want to test a theory like this with something as important as this!

My thoughts at the moment are to taper to zero (I am so glad I never have to use the word "titrate" ever again!), go for gold, and go back up. Or, find something that says it doesn't matter, in which case I can just go for gold as is. Going down to 0 would also be a very interesting experiment, although one I would gladly forgo if I can.

Comment

Baclofen and babies

Had a quick look myself and nothing came up.

If you really want to search thoroughly I suggest you substitute gamma hydroxybutyric acid for baclofen and see what comes up. GHB acts in a very similar manner to baclofen and has the added advantage, in this case, of being a date rape drug and being in the lime light. If there are any concerns then I would think you'd see them highlighted there first.
        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Baclofen and babies

bleep;1104255 wrote: That's just the thing though - I'm happy to make myself a guinea pig, and even enjoy it most of the time, but I don't really want to test a theory like this with something as important as this!

My thoughts at the moment are to taper to zero ... Going down to 0 would also be a very interesting experiment, although one I would gladly forgo if I can.
          I completely understand on that.

Yes, let's have you "taper" down to zero and report to us from down-under on that too

...because I am now up and over -- whee ! :whee:
          ------------------------------------------------------------
          "Alexander The Next" 's Experimental Combo Journey with TSM (Naltrexon) and Baclofen -- Progress Diary
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f20/alexander-next-s-experimental-combo-journey-tsm-naltrexon-baclofen-49307.html

Comment

Baclofen and babies

Thanks Ig - I'll give that a bash.

Comment

Baclofen and babies

Hi Reg, thanks, I'll have a look at that. Basically I'm trying to find out if it's okay if the man is on high dose baclofen and fathers a child. Will the child be okay, or are there horrid nasties waiting down the line?

Comment

Baclofen and babies

Thanks again Reg! I remember reading that thread ages ago. The answer, such as it is, is that nobody knows. No surprises there. I'll keep looking, but doubt there is much out there about this.

Comment

Baclofen and babies

hmmm.
                  hmmmm.
                  hmmmmmm.

At the risk of being completely blasted...

Is the question actually what affect high-dose-bac treatment for alcoholism will have on an unborn child? If that's the actual question then we know that there aren't any answers.

Perhaps, and of course this is just a thought, the real question might be:

Should I consider creating a child in the very infancy of the treatment of my own life-threatening disease? The success of which will determine what kind of future I will have with my family, including what kind of parent I will be to my children now and forevermore...

Is this so very time sensitive that one can't wait 6 months or a year in order to cement one's own health before creating a new life?

All that said, it's definitely not a good idea to do it drunk, and we do know that for sure...

Dude. She's been home for less than a day. Take a breath. Enjoy the sober sex. The rest will come. pun intended :H

:l
                  Ne

Comment

Baclofen and babies

The question is also "will a baby born to a mother on low/high-dose baclofen be subject to (life-threatening) withdrawal."

-tk

p.s. Also, I was the one who replied (non-comically) to abby's? query in the hyperactivation of sperm thread.....
                    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Baclofen and babies

not a particularly relevant question here, but i'll ask it as i'm curious and seen other remarks to same effect: Why do you prefer to use "taper" over "titrate"?

good luck with your query, bleep. i'd have my head hung on that one, too, if i were in your shoes.

Comment

Baclofen and babies

It seems from the studies I've read that the baby would be born with a baclofen dependency - a baby born to a mother who was taking 100mg's had seizures a few days after birth that were responsive to baclofen only.

As to the taper/titrate question - I'm not sure. Maybe just sick of the word after so long. Also, I believe our use of the word here is inaccurate, although I haven't checked it out.

I'm not asking so that I can rush out and get 5 new family members. It occurs to me that I'm going to be on high dose baclofen for some time, so was wondering if that would have an effect down the line.

Comment

Baclofen and babies

bleep, you're funny! i don't want five new family members, either! good luck, woman!

Comment

Baclofen and babies

Ne/Neva Eva;1104417 wrote: hmmm.
                            hmmmm.
                            hmmmmmm.

At the risk of being completely blasted...

Is the question actually what affect high-dose-bac treatment for alcoholism will have on an unborn child? If that's the actual question then we know that there aren't any answers.

Perhaps, and of course this is just a thought, the real question might be:

Should I consider creating a child in the very infancy of the treatment of my own life-threatening disease? The success of which will determine what kind of future I will have with my family, including what kind of parent I will be to my children now and forevermore...

Is this so very time sensitive that one can't wait 6 months or a year in order to cement one's own health before creating a new life?

All that said, it's definitely not a good idea to do it drunk, and we do know that for sure...

Dude. She's been home for less than a day. Take a breath. Enjoy the sober sex. The rest will come. pun intended :H

:l
                            Ne
                            I agree with Ne on this one. Go figure. I think if it's possible to wait, you should. If time is an issue, biological clocks do tick, then baclofen will be waiting for you after she gets pregnant. Maybe you could just go down to a low dose? I know it could be a problem for the baby if the mother takes it, but I wouldn't think so for you.
                            This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Baclofen and babies

It is possible to wait Red, and wait I most certainly will. However, even a year down the line, all things being equal, I expect to still be taking baclofen, so the question is still relevant. I'm just asking it now.

As usual with baclofen, the answer seems to be that nobody knows

Comment

Working...
                              X